Ferrari hot air exhaust

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Ferrari hot air exhaust

I'm not sure if any of you already noticed, but look at this:

That's an extra hot air exhaust, which partly explains why the Ferrari chimney are so small compared to those at RedBull, while they're both cooling down the same engine.

m3_lover

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Jason

The chimney is closed so no hot aire can be released from the sidepod, which can cause overheating. So Ferrari used that hole to released hot air through it, giving cleaner airflow and cooling.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Tp
Tp

Jason wrote:The chimney is closed so no hot aire can be released from the sidepod, which can cause overheating. So Ferrari used that hole to released hot air through it, giving cleaner airflow and cooling.
Well I know last year they also ran this arrangement of having the chimney's closed, but this was at tracks with lower air temperatures, the only purpose they served then was as splitters, acting in conjunction with the winglets to control airflow over the rear of the car. At GPs with higher temperatures they opened the chimney to aid engine cooling. I can only imagine they are doing a similar thing this year.