2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

motobaleno wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 17:55
According to Pirelli Wintax simulation this GP would require 108 kg of fuel...
it true, this fact will massively affect race strategies and pecking order (low drag car should be higly competitive) becoming actually the single most
important factor in discussing the race...while I see almost nothing about this...
Actually that would mean very very little fuel saving needed, if any, as any circumstance like a SC, some rain at some part of the race, or even some VSC will be enough to make the rest of the race without any fuel saving

Andres125sx

godlameroso wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 15:52
For Sunday the rain is expected to happen in the morning, so the race will most likely start with a wet track, with changing conditions predicted. It could rain intermittently or simply light rain where a dry line can form, it's going to be a very chaotic race.
Thanks for your efforts and for sharing. That would be gorgeous, the best we can get this season without suffering red flags :D

godlameroso

motobaleno wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 17:55
According to Pirelli Wintax simulation this GP would require 108 kg of fuel...
it true, this fact will massively affect race strategies and pecking order (low drag car should be higly competitive) becoming actually the single most
important factor in discussing the race...while I see almost nothing about this...
It's definitely a tricky balance because if you run too low drag you'll be slow in the twisties, but at the same time being flat out through turns uses more fuel. Finding the right balance will be difficult, and the unpredictable weather will make things even more challenging. This race could scramble the pecking order because some cars will luck into a decent setup while others will struggle massively.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

From the official Formula 1 Youtube channel:

https://youtu.be/DEW_9A0z1TU

motobaleno

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 18:21
Actually that would mean very very little fuel saving needed, if any, as any circumstance like a SC, some rain at some part of the race, or even some VSC will be enough to make the rest of the race without any fuel saving
Please consider that this is the first time that such a things happen at least since 2015.
Maybe it is not so trivial as you claim IF (absolutely not sure of this) Pirelli simulation is reliable.

godlameroso

No one talks about tire strategy any more. I guess with these new tires, there's no point in using the middle compound, when it's very similar in degradation but with less performance than the softest available compound. In a dry race both the SS and S tires would last ~17-20 laps, why would you pick the S tire, I guess anything is better than the medium.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

ME4ME wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 19:15
From the official Formula 1 Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEW_9A0 ... r_embedded

https://youtu.be/DEW_9A0z1TU
Like a BOSS! 8) =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Phil

I'm not too interested about bringing up the rain argument again, but some here should consider that how good one is in the rain has a lot to do with CONFIDENCE. And confidence, is largely also dependent on how much grip the car has. And that in turn is dependent on set-up and downforce levels. A good example would be last year (or the year before) comparing the Williams that clearly lacked downforce compared to the Mercedes car that had a lot more. It's easier to compare how team-mates compared during wet conditions, since at least there, we are comparing different drivers in identical cars and most likely very similar set-ups (also considering they are on similar state of tires). Driver A in Team X vs Driver B in Team Y? That's a lot more difficult to compare.

Having said that, few drivers have come across as being extraordinary during wet races though. One of them is Fernando Alonso (many many races), Max Verstappen (Brazil), Dan Ricciardo (during Monaco) and Lewis Hamilton (Monaco, Silverstone, Spa etc). This is just IMO and from the top of my head. Wet races favor the bold. And usually, they also favor those further behind the grid with nothing to lose. The more in front you are, the more you are likely to drive with less risk, more margin (and conserve your lead) which can have a negative effect on your tires (= loss of temperature).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Juzh

China preview by Magneti marelli:
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/gp-de ... 11-889907/

Some interesting bits:
In China, the MGU-K braking should recover up to 638 kJ per lap, while the MGU-H can recover up to 3.652 KJ per lap (12% more than in 2016) for a total of 4,290 KJ per lap
Seems like a very low number for the mgu-k recovery.

They're also predicting a top speed of only 308 kmh with drs open lol. That's just too low an estimate, especially as cars in australia were only a few clicks down of 2016. Difference will probably be larger in china, but not to such an extent.

74% full throttle predicted as well.

Phil

Drivers Press conference Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTkRuc2zaws

Drivers Press conference Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyeRRXbkPek

Cheers Phil
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

JonoNic

So according to the weather predictions the race will start damp to wet, these new clutches and the newly laid tarmac on the grid... all this could cause chaos at the start. I can't wait for this race to start. It's going to be fun no matter who wins. =D> =D>
Always find the gap then use it.

godlameroso

JonoNic wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 18:37
So according to the weather predictions the race will start damp to wet, these new clutches and the newly laid tarmac on the grid... all this could cause chaos at the start. I can't wait for this race to start. It's going to be fun no matter who wins. =D> =D>
Not just that the temperature will be low, and the sky overcast, during the race they're going to struggle to get anything but the SS working. In Barcelona even though the temperature was similar to what we'll have in Shanghai, there was at least sun shining on the track so track temperature was reasonable. Furthermore the damp track will keep track temperatures closer to ambient.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

FP1 wet, FP2 overcast, no rain but wet track.
Saishū kōnā

Shrieker

Lotsa rain right now ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sevach
Sevach

Session was red flagged despite the fact that it isn't raining at the moment.