2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Enstone
Enstone

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

Vasconia wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 11:42
marvin78 wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 10:40
Nowadays you couldn't even say who is good in the rain. These cars are so sensible that rain is not the leveller that is was in the 80s and 90s.
There are certain drivers who have (almost) always delivered when it rains. I am during different seasons and with very different cars. From 2017 until now drivers like Alonso, Lewis or Vettel have shown their skills I guess they are actually good.

Anyway we haven´t see a true wet race since... :roll:
Nasr was also excellent during a wet race cf : interlagos previous year 8) :D

Vasconia

Enstone wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 15:31
Vasconia wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 11:42
marvin78 wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 10:40
Nowadays you couldn't even say who is good in the rain. These cars are so sensible that rain is not the leveller that is was in the 80s and 90s.
There are certain drivers who have (almost) always delivered when it rains. I am during different seasons and with very different cars. From 2017 until now drivers like Alonso, Lewis or Vettel have shown their skills I guess they are actually good.

Anyway we haven´t see a true wet race since... :roll:
Nasr was also excellent during a wet race cf : interlagos previous year 8) :D
I mean during different seasons and races, not only in one race. 8)

falonso81

Wet races nowadays are more like damp races. The crazy safety measures dont allow for true wet races like in the past. I just sit and watch past wet races just for the chill!

GPR-A duplicate2

falonso81 wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 17:07
Wet races nowadays are more like damp races. The crazy safety measures dont allow for true wet races like in the past. I just sit and watch past wet races just for the chill!
There are a number of different things that have influenced Charlie Whiting to not give a go ahead for wet races.
1. Stupid tires - The so called wet tyres are good for nothing and offer no grip whatsoever and cars slide around at far lesser speeds.
2. Crying drivers - There are a number of instances where drivers have sounded that the "Conditions are dangerous". Such stupid drivers creatre an illusion that, even racing in damp conditions is dangerous, let alone wet.
3. Excessive fear for Charlie - Specifically, after Bianchi incident, he seems to have lost his mind. Bianchi incident was just freakish and Charlie need to move over it.

Unless they fix these factors, we are never going to witness the wet races of those 80s and 90s. Who cares for these damp races that offer no excitement and after a few boring laps behind the safety car, the cars move into pits to change for dry tires. In fact, I was shocked to see Charlie let the Brazil race happen last year, though it was not all wet, but still from Charlie's current standards, "IT WAS DANGEROUS".

Now that the cars have much higher downforce numbers and the tires are wider, it should be reason enough for Charlie to stop being paranoid and let the TRUE WET races happen. The incidents like that of Webber's and Alonso's accidents demonstrate that, the cars are in fact are far more safer than ever. If full wet races occured in 80s and 90s with way less safety standards, surely we can have them now with the current safety standards.

f1316
f1316

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wehr ... ll-889333/

Imagine if Wehrlein had been chosen by Mercedes to replace Nico - who would have been his replacement at the first 2 (possibly 3) GPs? Maybe Ocon?

hemichromis
hemichromis

Great news for Giovinazzi!
I have a good feeling for this man and i know Ferrari are watching closely!

kptaylor
kptaylor

You guys need to get on with using VER and not VES for Max! Still feels odd though...

falonso81

kptaylor wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 20:38
You guys need to get on with using VER and not VES for Max! Still feels odd though...
It is Verstappen so VER is the correct. I dont know why someone would use VER. Maybe if Vergne was driving there would be a confusion.

PlatinumZealot

Gothrek wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 11:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 03:24
VES wins that one easily.

Why exactly?
Vettel has cried to call off a wet race many times. Max hasn't.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

falonso81 wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 21:34
kptaylor wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 20:38
It is Verstappen so VER is the correct. I dont know why someone would use VER. Maybe if Vergne was driving there would be a confusion.
Easy if Vergne comes back(He never will) his initials will be JEV.
Saishū kōnā

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 23:24
Gothrek wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 03:24
VES wins that one easily.

Why exactly?
Many times? I remember Korea and he was first so I can see why he was asking to finish the race. Other times many drivers asked to finish the race because the visibility was next to 0.

Anyway how many "actual" wet races has Max done in F1? Last seasons wet races don´t even deserve to be described as wet races.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 17:42
falonso81 wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 17:07
There are a number of different things that have influenced Charlie Whiting to not give a go ahead for wet races.
1. Stupid tires - The so called wet tyres are good for nothing and offer no grip whatsoever and cars slide around at far lesser speeds.
2. Crying drivers - There are a number of instances where drivers have sounded that the "Conditions are dangerous". Such stupid drivers creatre an illusion that, even racing in damp conditions is dangerous, let alone wet.
3. Excessive fear for Charlie - Specifically, after Bianchi incident, he seems to have lost his mind. Bianchi incident was just freakish and Charlie need to move over it.

Unless they fix these factors, we are never going to witness the wet races of those 80s and 90s. Who cares for these damp races that offer no excitement and after a few boring laps behind the safety car, the cars move into pits to change for dry tires. In fact, I was shocked to see Charlie let the Brazil race happen last year, though it was not all wet, but still from Charlie's current standards, "IT WAS DANGEROUS".

Now that the cars have much higher downforce numbers and the tires are wider, it should be reason enough for Charlie to stop being paranoid and let the TRUE WET races happen. The incidents like that of Webber's and Alonso's accidents demonstrate that, the cars are in fact are far more safer than ever. If full wet races occured in 80s and 90s with way less safety standards, surely we can have them now with the current safety standards.
I mostly agree with you, those 3 factos have made almost imposible to see an actual wet race. I hope the new tyres allow the drivers to race but I have great doubts after Barcelona´s test.

I hope too that Liberty "encourages" Charlie to give some freedom to the drivers to drive instead of releasing the safety car everytime it rains a little bit.

Godius

Vasconia wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 08:15
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Gothrek wrote:

Why exactly?
Many times? I remember Korea and he was first so I can see why he was asking to finish the race. Other times many drivers asked to finish the race because the visibility was next to 0.

Anyway how many "actual" wet races has Max done in F1? Last seasons wet races don´t even deserve to be described as wet races.
A bit OT perhaps but I think that Vettel does not really like wet races that much, remember when he crashed into Webbah under Safety Car conditions in Fuji, it left a scar on him probably. Also from last year I can remember that he spun at Silverstone and Brazil in the rain.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 08:15
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Gothrek wrote:

Why exactly?

I cannot find the quotes anywhere, but Vettel did say "what are we doing here" in Malaysia 2012 wet race.

He still is one of those few drivers on the grid who can keep the car on the track and drive fast in wet. But I don't think he really desires such conditions.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 09:18

I cannot find the quotes anywhere, but Vettel did say "what are we doing here" in Malaysia 2012 wet race.

He still is one of those few drivers on the grid who can keep the car on the track and drive fast in wet. But I don't think he really desires such conditions.
Well, I don´t know, the only thing I am sure is that he is good driving under the rain. If he doesn´t want to drive wet races is something I can´t know unless he clearly admits it.