McLaren fire extinguisher button

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ciro Pabón

McLaren fire extinguisher button

This is a really short question: what is this white and black "goo" on the otherwise neat fire extinguisherbutton of McLaren's cars?

Ciro

Encelado
Encelado

Probably some kind of rubber/silicon filler to prevent the button from accidental pushing ? It's just my guess.

Cheers
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." A. Einstein

RH1300S
RH1300S

Looks like a clear plastic fim over the button, you can see it is coming away on the bottom corner. The "white" is probably reflections.

manchild
manchild

Just foil to prevent activation by rain.

Carbon
Carbon

That's exactly what it is. Preventative measures so the driver or vibration doesn't trigger the extinguisher.

manchild
manchild

Carbon wrote:That's exactly what it is. Preventative measures so the driver or vibration doesn't trigger the extinguisher.
If they wanted to prevent that than they'd put something firm rather than soft foil. It is there only because mclaren has very opened front end of the cockpit so rain or foam from pitcrew fire extingusher can activate the switch.

Keep in mind that switch button is deeper than protective ring around it and that it is meant to enable easy activation even by hurt or semi-conscious driver. That cover has noting to do with those used on buildings where small glass window must be broken in order to press the button.

Also, vibrations couldn't be prevented by foil infront of the switch button.

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, all of you. Now I see it. Funny they let such an important thing as preventing shorts on a fire-extinguisher button to a film that thin.
Ciro

scarbs
scarbs

This is a williams button (FW25 IIRC)....

manchild
manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:Thanks, all of you. Now I see it. Funny they let such an important thing as preventing shorts on a fire-extinguisher button to a film that thin.
Actually they don't. I mean before this Mclaren pic I've never seen it on another car and such swithces are used already for decades.

pyry
pyry

mybe because of the nature of the button the film is there purely so no dust or other debris can go in and make the thing look unneat(ron dennis). then another question, what is the boost button on the williams wheel?
four rings to rule them all

manchild
manchild

I think it is the button that kills rev limiter enabling driver to use full engine revs for short period of time (overtaking on straights etc.)