[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

There are only two points I am not happy about:

1) There are only two car in the intro class. Maybe it depends on the lack of marketing (I think that MVRC has huge possibilities to grow)

2) The CAD modeling skills showed by the cars (mine included) are quite basic, far away from real motorsport CAD models and also quite distant from the standard Chris had in the KVRC era.
My car for example is still modeled with Solidworks solids: I use advanced surfaces only in small areas. If I had the time to re model the car with advanced surfaces (definetly not this year) I think I could explore more efficient shapes.

rjsa
rjsa

CAEdevice wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 19:59
There are only two points I am not happy about:

1) There are only two car in the intro class. Maybe it depends on the lack of marketing (I think that MVRC has huge possibilities to grow)

2) The CAD modeling skills showed by the cars (mine included) are quite basic, far away from real motorsport CAD models and also quite distant from the standard Chris had in the KVRC era.
My car for example is still modeled with Solidworks solids: I use advanced surfaces only in small areas. If I had the time to re model the car with advanced surfaces (definetly not this year) I think I could explore more efficient shapes.
on 2), I'm coming from the opposite direction. I use Rhino and T-Splines. Everything looks smooth but T-Splines was sold to AD mid development and the plugin lacks total integration with Rhino. No booleans, no history.

So I'm building the main shapes in Rhino/T-Splines. Exporting STL using Moi3D (Rhino's mesher is a pain) and doing the final booleans and cleanup in Magics. LVDH has been giving me a hard time on geometry quality, and I'm sure I'm getting another beating tomorrow.

I have installed and started trying Fusion360 - that now has the T-Splines technology in it - but I can't find the time to stop, port all my geometry and try to get it right.

RicME85

CAEdevice wrote:There are only two points I am not happy about:

Yeah it's a shame there is only two of us in Intro class, even if Richard had an entry like the other year it would add a bit more to the class. As things stand it also leaves you in a weird place where you don't want to go into the full class as it leaves the intro class with one or no competitors. This year I am going to stick with intro and learn more about balancing the car, I may run my own simulations with an outlook to re-entering full next season however.

etsmc
etsmc

Well happy with my result it has taken a while but less than a second off variante and only 2 seconds off the lead is good.
Looking forward to the full results to see what penalties affected who.
Have been working on changes to the car but they are not going the direction I had hoped for.

regarding the testing of the suspension in the high res folder the case finished but didn't want to post-process so running it again.

Alonso Fan

Just ran another simulation using blueCFD and i cab say that all the numbers are now there when post processing but i am not getting all the plots.

I have no pressure plots and no contours at all. I do have the velocity plots, the bare car, see through car and the weird red warped stuff. That's it.

Also i would like to ask if the case.foam file is openable in paraview? If so, which version should i use? My paraview currently doesn't even recognise all stl files and its not importing geometry if i open the foam file
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

etsmc
etsmc

Would anyone else be willing to test the suspension geometry in the vehicle_body folder and also in the High_res folder?? for me the simulation with it in the high_res folder always fails.

LVDH

Alonso Fan wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 06:00
Just ran another simulation using blueCFD and i cab say that all the numbers are now there when post processing but i am not getting all the plots.

I have no pressure plots and no contours at all. I do have the velocity plots, the bare car, see through car and the weird red warped stuff. That's it.

Also i would like to ask if the case.foam file is openable in paraview? If so, which version should i use? My paraview currently doesn't even recognise all stl files and its not importing geometry if i open the foam file
One issue with your case is that the stl files have capital ".STL" ending. I have taught my software to deal with this, but the post-processing has an issue. That is why so many images remain white, and the warped red stuff would also make more sense when you would see your car with it. I will simply tell my software to automatically rename stl files ending with ".STL" to ".stl". That should then fix all these issue once and for all.
You can upload your case include log files to Dropbox and I will have a look.
That your Paraview also has issues, is because of an issue with VTK, which is used by Paraview. I have tried to tell them about it but they did not answer. You can try to open the stl with some other software and save it differently.
etsmc wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 06:38
Would anyone else be willing to test the suspension geometry in the vehicle_body folder and also in the High_res folder?? for me the simulation with it in the high_res folder always fails.
You can upload your case include log files to Dropbox and I will have a look.

Alonso Fan

Ok thanks, I'll try saving them all with meshlab and see if it helps
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

rjsa
rjsa

I lack the jargon but I'll try: Can we have the first derivative in X of that force development plot instead?

I get it like it is, it was a great addition, but I guess it would be easier to look at the local force components instead of guessing them from the accumulated curve direction.

Either way it just saved my day. The two or three tweaks needed to fix some scrutiny glitches threw a hurricane into my wind tunnel. It's a small twister now and I'd never locate it wasn't for that plot.

JJR
JJR

Congratulations to Matteo and TF ! It is going to be a tight season.
Level of competition rised up a lot. A lot of interesting solutions. Well done to all cars!

RicME85

etsmc wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 06:38
I have the simulation but have got no figures from it. This has happened in both of the simulations I have run since changing to blueCFD.

There is no 'num_cfd_results' in the post-processing folder of either simulation.

rjsa
rjsa

I've seen the results. My simulation numbers before for the raced setup were:

CD: 1.37
CL: 6.65
CCOP: 1.575
Power: 100%
Time: 1:22.280

Now I've seen it drop like this: when I moved couple parts from the High Res dir that I misunderstood and shouldn't be there, I guess you guys did it.

I'm over that now, having fixed it for good.

I'll be back ;)

LVDH

Your main issue is power. There are reasons you made a mistake. You can send me the report from your own simulation from the car you submitted and I can explain, then if you do not mind. I want to do that anyways, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, as I am very busy. The page has been updated though.
I should be able to send out all reports either today or tomorrow morning.

Alonso Fan

I know you're busy LVDH but i'm encountering an issue with blueCFD. I think it has to do with meshing

--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
[3] Multiple outside loops:0()
[3]
[3] From function static Foam::face Foam::combineFaces::getOutsideFace(const indirectPrimitivePatch&)
[3] in file polyTopoChange/polyTopoChange/combineFaces.C at line 420.

it's my revised car that's having the issue. the one I submitted for Monaco is fine
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 14:50
Your main issue is power. There are reasons you made a mistake. You can send me the report from your own simulation from the car you submitted and I can explain, then if you do not mind. I want to do that anyways, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, as I am very busy. The page has been updated though.
I should be able to send out all reports either today or tomorrow morning.
I have the report ready but can't find your dropbox link in my inbox, can you send a request?

TKS