2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jordan44

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

Is there a chance the FIA may call a disciplinary hearing about this?

If I were Mercedes I would be pushing for one in the media. The fact the FIA decided not to give him a DSQ because it would interfere with the championship, is disgusting, and a failure of their duties as stewards.

Vasconia

Jordan44 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:46

If I were Mercedes I would be pushing for one in the media. The fact the FIA decided not to give him a DSQ because it would interfere with the championship, is disgusting, and a failure of their duties as stewards.
Fact? is your opinion or perhaps I have missed the statemment where the stewards dediced not to give a DNF to Vettel because of the championship battle.

Thank God someone in the UK doesn´t want to burn Vettel on a pyre:
https://twitter.com/MBrundleF1/status/8 ... 9181275136

TAG

Jordan44 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:46

And they should be banned from all future stewarding duties. The idea or the fight to not do it came from one person from the way it's being described. They were close... but someone pushed for it not to be done, someone with enough influence to sway the rest.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Big Mangalhit

I think people are overreacting so much. I for one really enjoyed the nudge, it was raw and hot!
It's the kind of thing that if the season continues with this trend will make this an absolute classic maybe even worth of a movie. Arguably 2 of the best drivers in the current era in two of the best teams ever going all out crazy against each other. Man I am so excited for every race this year.

And I know I will get a lot of bash because of safety but I think that is a big overreaction. It was not so unsafe to give a bump tyre on tyre at 50km/h. And no wishbones don't break that easily otherwise we would have so much more catastrophic events. Heck how many times did we see tyre go against tyre at much harder speed, or worse tyre against wall! I mean even this GP many drivers touched the wall with quite more energy and came out fine. Ofc it could've gone wrong but like everything in F1 there is a degree of risk and tbh it was totally acceptable. Not worse than some inside corners dive bombs and whatnot.

Just to be clear I am not arguing about the penalties and whatnot, I am not trying to be a judge here, just a fan.

Sieper

I too enjoyed it, I actually enjoyed the whole race, even if my personal favorite had to retire with engine problems.

Sure it should never have happened but it did and it was quite a thrill!

Andres125sx

n_anirudh wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 14:30
I did look at the video several times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDv5CKFLCUo

1. Why dont brake lights go on when Hamilton brakes for the corner?
2. Was he at very low speed that he did not need to brake.
3. Drivers needed to have hands on his wheel at all times, - perhaps something that needs to be written into the rule books (unless they are heading to a crash/accident)
4. Vettel "overtook" Hamilton: Vettel was briefly ahead of him during the SC- an incorrect action on his part.
5. Vettels hands are raised after "side-swiping him" - I cannot speak for Vettel, but I believe the car drifted to the right as he was driving with only one hand on the wheel. His actions were not justified. This would happen to road users who dont look ahead while driving.
6. Vettel was not spoken to by the Stewards who imposed the penalty. It was an incident between the 2 drivers, and FIA stewards needed to have spoken to both. Penalty points and 10 sec penalty can always be added at the end of the race.
1- As explained, F1 cars don´t have brake lights. The light you probably are reffering to is only there for rain conditions (visibility) or to indicate the driver behind the PU is saving energy, or in other words, not fully applying the 160 electrical hp, so the driver behind don´t get surprised by a noticeable speed difference if he´s using all the power of his own PU

2- Sorry don´t get what you mean here

3- Drivers drive with one hand several times per lap each GP, or hundreds times per GP, so that can barely be an excuse for Seb. But even if it is, he released the wheel with one hand on his own, so even if we assume that´s the reason for the second collision, it still is Vettel fault

4- Not sure if he´s ahead of Lewis at some point, but that´s nuts when compared to the two collisions caused by him, under SC

5- I don´t think the car drifted at all. They were going at around 60-80kmh, wich is almost idle for a F1 car and Vettel onboard don´t sound like spinning wheels at all

6- I don´t like after-race penalties at all. If someone do something wrong during a race, punish him during the race. Otherwise we can see weird and unfair penalties as the infractor can take advantage of that illegal maneouver, for example, if some driver get stuck behind a slower car wich will ruin his race, take him out of track and get free. If he´s punished at the end the penalty will probably be less severe than running the whole race behind a slower car. This is the same, with a post-race penalty Vettel could have won the race with a big margin (he was light years ahead of Ricciardo) so even with a post-race penalty he could have kept the victory, what would have been a scandal in my eyes

Andres125sx

Gothrek wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:44
Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:04

Hamilton clearly did not do a brake test, he simply did not accelarate.
In a car with such an amount of downforce/drag, not accelerating is very similar to braking.
Have you seen the onboards at that corner? You see Hamilton almost going to a standstill.
I read some years ago a F1 car with a mid downforce setup, when going over 200kmh, just releasing the throttle is decreasing speed faster than a production car apllying full brakes, wich is enlightening about how much drag a F1 produces

But the incident was at around 60-80kmh, when drag and downforce are negligible. Also, FIA said telemetry show Lewis didn´t brake, and didn´t even release the throttle completely, so that cannot be Vettel´s excuse

Andres125sx

Mattchu wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:15
Who else wants to see Vettel and Hamilton in the next drivers press conference? Perhaps with Alonso sat between them :D
Me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TAG

Big Mangalhit wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 17:04
I think people are overreacting so much. I for one really enjoyed the nudge, it was raw and hot!
It's the kind of thing that if the season continues with this trend will make this an absolute classic maybe even worth of a movie. Arguably 2 of the best drivers in the current era in two of the best teams ever going all out crazy against each other. Man I am so excited for every race this year.

And I know I will get a lot of bash because of safety but I think that is a big overreaction. It was not so unsafe to give a bump tyre on tyre at 50km/h. And no wishbones don't break that easily otherwise we would have so much more catastrophic events. (nothing but your opinion here)

Just to be clear I am not arguing about the penalties and whatnot, I am not trying to be a judge here, just a fan. (yet everything you posted in the italicized portion is fanatical in nature)
It's not a video game, that's the problem with your assessment and if the rule is that penalties are handed out only when they cause a catastrophic event... might a well say that rape is okay if you don't get a woman pregnant. Vettel hit another competitor either because he was really really angry or really really stupid. Probably a little of both. He then goes on to play cagey with with post interview answers, meaning that he knew what he did and worse still, didn't man up to it. Choosing instead to hide under Ferrari's skirt.

There's nothing to argue here, there is only what Vettel did, any other argument is a form of excuse, defense or outright denial of facts. Pick which one you want to fall under.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Chene_Mostert

“For me I’m just going to do my talking on the track, that’s most important for me. I’ve heard of what he’s said after the race and it seems kind of…because I’ve not come out of the race pointing the finger or said anything, it is what it is."

Guess Lewis will spend more time on the radio asking for Botas' assistance?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Andres125sx

Gothrek wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:37
ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:29
Gothrek wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:21

How can the first one be on purpose? People are really making this more than what it is. But hey, sensationalism sells right.
1 is a racing incident
2 is a driver getting pissed off way more than usual

We have been complaining about drivers being so boring, etc. well it is not boring now is it?
1) Vettel's fault he crashed into Hamilton not the other way round second guessing Hamilton's​ actions wrongly. Not Hamilton being unsportsmanlike.

2) Vettel being unsportsmanlike intentionally​ and Ferrari supporters defending those actions comical and desperate.
I woud say largely Vettels fault, I put it at 70% Vettel 30% Hamilton, he did not hit the brake pedal, but he was slowing down a lot in a corner, which is rather stupid. There is not an advantage for Vettel for doing this, these things happens when the guy in front wants to be "smart", so I would deem this is a racing incident. I think most people would follow me here. Of course the second part of Vettel was unsportsmanlike, fully agree.
First, he never slowed down a lot as you´re stating. Telemetry prove it but some of you keep fighting reality :roll:

Second, even if he did, rather than stupid it´s standard procedure when the SC switch its lights off. We see that at every SC period in all motorsports categories, so the leader get some free space in front of him to be able to start pushing well before the finish line and minimize the chances he´s passed.

Lewis didn´t try to be "smart", he did what 100% of racing drivers would have done, let the SC with lights off go and build a gap before pushing to race pace again

motobaleno

http://www.formulapassion.it/2017/06/f1 ... l-trouble/

Not necessarily in agreement with bernie but useful to remind that different opinions are still legal
thanks god.

SimBot

I do not understand why people (and FIA) keep saying Hamilton did not brake after the apex, he did, there is a replay with the live telemetry that prove that. The onboard graphics is 100% synced, you can just check the gear in the steering wheel and the gear in the graphics, the downshift from 4 to 3 is perfectly synced (watch the video at 2:51).

FIA telemetry "analysis" is just bs. I am pretty sure that without the problem Hamilton had with his headrest Vettel wouldn't get the s&g but only some time penality or reprimand at the end of the race.

Just watch yourself.
https://youtu.be/1gL71yXEWtE?t=2m40s
Last edited by SimBot on 26 Jun 2017, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

motobaleno wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 18:21

Not necessarily in agreement with bernie but useful to remind that different opinions are still legal
thanks god.
Ignoring reality as Bernie is doing there (he keep saying Lewis did brake) is also legal, but that does not mean it´s correct, valid or useful... :roll:

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 18:25
motobaleno wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 18:21

thanks god.
Ignoring reality as Bernie is doing there (he keep saying Lewis did brake) is also legal, but that does not mean it´s correct, valid or useful... :roll:
I see Bernie is still willing to say just about anything to stir the pot, or get is name in in print!
197 104 103 7