Renault Bargeboard

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
m3_lover

Renault Bargeboard

I found another interesting picture in which the end part of the bargeboard has a huge turning vane (would it be called a turning vane?). What is the point of that large triangle at the end of the bargeboard.

Also if you notice I think Renault is the last team to adopt the Chimney and the sidepod winglet as one airflow device.

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

wazojugs

the triangular part is there to shape the flow from the front wing and onto the under floor

Jason

Firstly, yes the fin that is sticking out of th bargeboard is called a turning vane.

Second, Renault's chimney and the winglet is not sticked together like Ferrari's. It's seperated into 2.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

m3_lover

Ya that was my mistake, they are the last team to adopt this and they still have not done it.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Ciwai
Ciwai

The ferrari I think aren't running chimneys in the traditional sense any longer. The vestigial form is there as a fin, but the joining together with the winglet actually resembles the system BAR had been running for several years up til this season when they converted to a chinmey.

I think other teams haven't adopted siamesed winglet and chimney forms such as mclaren and honda.

Jason

Are they still using the 2 small slits in front of the chimneys?
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Re: Renault Bargeboard

m3_lover wrote: What is the point of that large triangle at the end of the bargeboard.
Its there as a normal wing you'd find on an aircraft - it actually produces some lift.

The trailing vortex it produces will be coming from 'underneath' and rotate around the side of the and 'above' the wing/bargeboard. As this vortex travels down the side of the car, it helps reduce the amount of air sucked in under the car due to the low pressure area underneath. Its a kind of fluidic side skirt if you like.