What's this for? (Schumacher Ferrari)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Touring23
Touring23

What's this for? (Schumacher Ferrari)

What's the purpose of this little scoop?
I first noticed it today at Spain. It appears to be absent on Massa's car and all of the other competitors save for Villeneuve's car which has two much smaller scoops side-by-side in a similar location.
Damper cooling? Electronics cooling perhaps (noting that it is apparently absent on the second Ferrari if I am not mistaken)?

Jason

I think it's probaly used for getting air into the dampers to prevent it from overheating.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

m3_lover

It is true that Massa does not have it, I checked out pictures of his car too, the wierd thing too is that the Ferrari's are missing that hole in the front to cool the driver too, or is hardly visible to the naked eye.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

are the dampers behind the upper control arms? what do they do?

Touring23
Touring23

dampers="shock absorbers", captM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber
I'm having a devil of a time finding a picture of a front F1 suspension to illustrate the layout. The shocks are laid down inside the nose fairing, along the long axis of the car.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

that probably is not true for Ferrari, which uses Sachs's Rotary Damper....

Touring23
Touring23

zac510
zac510

RacingManiac wrote:that probably is not true for Ferrari, which uses Sachs's Rotary Damper....
Is used only on the rear.

scarbs
scarbs

Its for driver cooling, its been on the ferrari for around 4-5 years on and off.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Michael has bigger balls than Massa - needs more cooling, simple as that..........

Venom
Venom

RH1300S wrote:Michael has bigger balls than Massa - needs more cooling, simple as that..........

hahahahahahahahhaah

you're very honest mate =;
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.