USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

When they come back from their very long commercials Martin et al are in mid sentence which tells somebody isn't having the commercial.
This sux
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

CriXus
CriXus

US fans can blame the American obsession with making money from everything. Their sports are made in such a way that they can have as many commercials as they want, but F1 is different thing.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

I don’t get it. Did you expect there to be zero commercials? That was never happening.

I’m happy with it, though I was planning on getting F1 TV anyway.

SteveRacer

Any one else have problems with the audio during quali? The cars were so loud you couldn't hear the announcers.

Pre race was terrible. Even after they fixed their issues.

Race was as expected but the commercials were poorly timed.

There was no results graphic after the race.

I miss the old post race we used to have. That was nice.

strad

I don’t get it. Did you expect there to be zero commercials? That was never happening.

Ever watch soccer?
I have no intention of offending those who for years have told me how much better their coverage was, however if what I watched last night was indicative of what we are going to get, I'd rather have Matchett and even ole Hobbs back.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

strad wrote:

Ever watch soccer?
I have no intention of offending those who for years have told me how much better their coverage was, however if what I watched last night was indicative of what we are going to get, I'd rather have Matchett and even ole Hobbs back.
I don’t, but soccer has a halftime. Also, the precedent was already set.

strad

As far as the commercials discussion from earlier goes one split screen was over 6 laps..how long is that? Somewhere around 7 minutes? And with no ability to mute. :shock:
Obviously it's ESPN not SKY because as I said before,, They would come back with Martin in mid-sentence which indicates they weren't at commercial.
Greedy Bastards.
Sir Stirling Moss

SteveRacer

It seems ESPN has issued an apology for the coverage. Though I am skeptical as I cannot find it on the ESPN site. I even checked the ESPN F1 twitter.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/25/esp ... omplaints/

nick p
nick p

If this was a high school media and communications project, the people running this “broadcast” would be given an “F” and told to repeat the course
At NBC, announcers Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett genuinely cared about what they were doing and tried to make the broadcast coverage interesting and appropriate for everyone from the first time viewer to the seasoned F1 enthusiast

strad

That puts my thought into a perfect context.
To me is seemed like a high school level job.
Sir Stirling Moss

giantfan10
giantfan10

this link is to the twitter account that posted the apology https://twitter.com/ESPNPR

strad

I read the apology yesterday and feel it was mostly just for the pre-race problems and some pretty weak on promises to do better.
Kinda like you'd expect from a kid trying to get out of trouble. No real substance.
"oh I promise I'll be good. Now can I have my candy."
Sir Stirling Moss

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

Can't believe how bad the coverage was on Sky. I have been away from the UK for 15 years, they really have went downhill. Although I really enjoyed Hobbs and all.. I thought we had 2nd rated cover vs what Europe had, boy was I wrong. I don't think I can get through a season and enjoy it with these commentators and coverage.

Who is on F1 TV ?

zeph
zeph

I was bummed I had to miss the race. Sounds like it was a blessing in disguise.

F1 TV can’t come soon enough!

the EDGE
the EDGE

Gatecrasher wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 22:07
Can't believe how bad the coverage was on Sky. I have been away from the UK for 15 years, they really have went downhill. Although I really enjoyed Hobbs and all.. I thought we had 2nd rated cover vs what Europe had, boy was I wrong. I don't think I can get through a season and enjoy it with these commentators and coverage.

Who is on F1 TV ?
I’m glade it’s not just me who thinks that. Channel 4 team are way better but it’s never been as good as when BBC had it. Next year is going to suck when C4 stop broadcasting live races

On a plus side, Now TV just sent me a free TV box, well I say free but I guess I’ve paid them enough money to watch sky’s coverage for 1/2 races for last 2 years