2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PowerofDreams
PowerofDreams

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Ground Effect wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:36
PowerofDreams wrote:
15 May 2018, 14:58
I also have an idea in regards to a Honda and Redbull collaboration...Honda should take full ownership of STR . RBR should become Honda's sole engine customer with as much collaboration between the two as allowed by the rules a -la Hass. Honda would recieve aero parts from Redbull. Honda could alsoTitle sponsor their team temporarily while seeking out secondary sponsors from the array of Japanese Companies that exist...Red Bull in exchange for their aero parts would use that credit gained towards the discounted purchase of full 'Works Mode" engines from Honda.....It's a win win for both and would essentially create two full blown "Works" teams for Honda for the price of one....any thoughts?.....And don't tell me it can't be done...Hass is doing it and the only difference would be that Honda would be the Owner...and if Red Bull wants to keep on sponsoring a second team such as Team Honda Red Bull Racing then why not?
It would be very strange and probably bad for their corporate image, if Honda as a fully fledged works team would buy aero parts from a customer. It may be possible and have good results, but would Honda do that? Honda can literally buy Red Bull, if they wanted to and if it was an option. But I don't know if Honda wants to go down that route now.
Then maybe they should...All of the other Manufacturers are "All-IN" while Honda always seems to have one foot out the door and expects to achieve great results with that attitude....good thing you brought this up because it is actually my preferred route for Honda to take in Formula One...They can purchase RBR outright and acquire arguably the best engineering talent on the chassis side that goes with it along with strong management the extremely talented driver line-up that is already in place with Verstappen, Sainz and Gasly under contract....Ricciardo is off to Ferrari imo so no use begging him to stay but maybe we can keep him if He see's enough progress and potential from STR"s Honda engine...maybe a walk through Honda Racing Headquarters in Japan which seemed to do the trick for signing Verstappen to a long term deal....Keeping the whole RBR team intact would be preferable and would likely require dropping the Aston Martin name but they can slap it on the STR team for all I care....This would really be a win win for both Companies with Honda acquiring the infastructure and talent from Red Bull and Red Bull continuing their Title Sponsorship of both teams if they wish without the continued effort, patience and energy it requires to run a Modern Formula One team in the present
Last edited by PowerofDreams on 15 May 2018, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

PowerofDreams
PowerofDreams

Thunder18 wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:59
PowerofDreams wrote:
15 May 2018, 14:58
I also have an idea in regards to a Honda and Redbull collaboration...Honda should take full ownership of STR . RBR should become Honda's sole engine customer with as much collaboration between the two as allowed by the rules a -la Hass. Honda would recieve aero parts from Redbull. Honda could alsoTitle sponsor their team temporarily while seeking out secondary sponsors from the array of Japanese Companies that exist...Red Bull in exchange for their aero parts would use that credit gained towards the discounted purchase of full 'Works Mode" engines from Honda.....It's a win win for both and would essentially create two full blown "Works" teams for Honda for the price of one....any thoughts?.....And don't tell me it can't be done...Hass is doing it and the only difference would be that Honda would be the Owner...and if Red Bull wants to keep on sponsoring a second team such as Team Honda Red Bull Racing then why not?
FIA rules that all aero work must be of own team design. You cannot buy aero. Hass develop their own aero, they but suspension engine etc.
but you can have inspiration from another constructor in your design such as Haas took from last years Ferrari....anyways that was my Plan B...my preference as I stated before would be acquiring RBR fully and all the resources, talent and management structure that comes with it....STR will stay a "B" team with the sole goal of developing drivers and trying out new design directions....

Thunder18
Thunder18

Marti_EF3 wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:52
Live stream! Here you are!

https://youtu.be/ZaImlcZ-qVM
Much appreciated, thanks

Revs84
Revs84

Looks like they had to update PU due to chassis related issue. I wonder what the issue could be. :?

Big Tea

Talisman wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:51
Big Tea wrote:
15 May 2018, 14:59
PowerofDreams wrote:
15 May 2018, 13:58

Forget about bringing a "Honda" backed driver mate...Everyone knows I am one of the biggest Honda Fanbois on this site and even I wouldn't support that...The reality is that if any drivers where good enough to be in F1 they would be here already....I think the perfect driver to develop the STR chassis would actually be Felipe Massa as much as I hate to admit it since He is one of my least favorite Drivers....but He was always fast and extremely consistent and I dont think its a coincidence that Williams is struggling right now without his expert input.....
When I posted, it looked as if 2 'reasonable' Japanese backed drivers were going to be job hunting from LMP, but it has since been announced they are both staying. It would be useful if a driver spoke and read Japanese and was able to interact well. It seems the only option there now would be Button, and he is not going to come back at the end of the field.
I don’t know if you are referring to Kobayashi and Nakajima but both are Toyota affiliated and therefore Honda wouldn’t accept them.

Fukuzumi would be the one first in line for a Honda drive but I’m not sure if he has a superlicencr yet. Not sure any RBR jr drivers are ready yet either.
I did say Japanese backed drivers, not nationality, but yes, they were in mind.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

rogazilla
rogazilla

speculation:
first thing came to my mind is they installed new pu and the new body parts didn't fit?! What else could be chassis related issue but the PU has to be changed?!

Big Tea

Revs84 wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:36
Looks like they had to update PU due to chassis related issue. I wonder what the issue could be. :?
Could it be related to the damage in the accident on Sat?
It looked really bad 'snapping' like that, so maybe strengthening support members or braces on the engine that transfer the stress?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PowerofDreams
PowerofDreams

Revs84 wrote:
Update or change PU?...two very different actions....

rogazilla
rogazilla

TR official twitter account says 'Change' PU due to chassis related issue.

Thunder18
Thunder18

Whose car is being tested, is it Hartleys chassis?

PowerofDreams
PowerofDreams

rogazilla wrote:
15 May 2018, 17:18
TR official twitter account says 'Change' PU due to chassis related issue.
:( I was hoping for an early engine update to make us slightly more competitive in Monaco next week and possibly convince RBR to sign on early....I guess Canada it is.....We better not just match Renault's upgrade but clearly pull ahead of them with it.....also I believe Gasly will pull off a surprise performance next week in Monaco as STR's chassis is not as bad as some here would like you to believe and Gasly imo has the racing craft and poise of a future champion..He needs however to be more aware of his surroundings or risk becoming the next Grosjean... always getting into dust ups whether or not at fault....

PowerofDreams
PowerofDreams

Thunder18 wrote:
15 May 2018, 17:34
Whose car is being tested, is it Hartleys chassis?
An update would have been the only way Hartley could outqualify his teammate....seriously though I sincerely hope that Hartley gets into the zone and starts bettering or equaling his teammate in qualifying and race results.... He seems like such a very nice chum and has always defended and played up Honda at every opportunity but I believe time is running out for him to prove himself and He should feel a real sense of urgency to improve his performance significantly...

Revs84
Revs84

PowerofDreams wrote:
15 May 2018, 17:16
Revs84 wrote:
Update or change PU?...two very different actions....
I meant change, sorry :oops:

rogazilla
rogazilla

Looks like they put the car back together and put 5 laps end before end of the day. Gasley will be busy tomorrow to try to complete 1.5 days of program. I hope they put an updated spec of PU in today and found some problem to run with chassis and maybe resolve it for tomorrow. Want the updated PU to run out of box come canada/summer.

Marti_EF3

Before finishing the test, I saw the STR on the exit of corners on S3 and the car were overpowering at the exit of the corners. Even a spin on the last lap. It seemed undrivable... I think it's because the new PU... (maybe upgraded one??)