2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Talisman wrote:
30 May 2018, 17:02
RonDennis wrote:
30 May 2018, 16:40
Ground Effect wrote:
30 May 2018, 16:17

The thing is, sometimes the figures come from Honda, on an off record basis, or an insider who doesn't want to be quoted due to not being in a position to give said info. Sometimes they deliberately leak to the press what they want out there. It's a complex game of PR etc. But that said, it's not uncommon for journalists to just do guess work and fill in the gaps when they're not getting info.
I highly doubt Autosport does that, they know what's going on in the paddock because they are actually there.
Autosport are as clueless as anyone about Honda.
No they're not. Do you actually think that Red Bull and Toro Rosso don't know what's coming from Honda's side? Of course they are. People talk and leak information all the time.

godlameroso

Snorked wrote:
30 May 2018, 13:09
Both drivers to take new spec PU in Canada

https://members.f1-life.net/report/69806/
Good, no point in holding back.

.3 second improvement would be huge for them, the midfield is so tight.
Saishū kōnā

Talisman
Talisman

godlameroso wrote:
30 May 2018, 20:38
Snorked wrote:
30 May 2018, 13:09
Both drivers to take new spec PU in Canada

https://members.f1-life.net/report/69806/
Good, no point in holding back.

.3 second improvement would be huge for them, the midfield is so tight.
Depends on what the others bring, Mercedes and Ferrari have been ominously quiet...

GhostF1
GhostF1

I agree. For both of them to take the unit immediately, especially considering Hartley's current PU is essentially new, Honda seem confident in its potential. Hartley's comment of it being a pretty decent step and known facts that Tanabe is a comparatively quiet man regarding Honda's progress are enlightening.

sn809
sn809

GhostF1 wrote:
30 May 2018, 23:43
I agree. For both of them to take the unit immediately, especially considering Hartley's current PU is essentially new, Honda seem confident in its potential. Hartley's comment of it being a pretty decent step and known facts that Tanabe is a comparatively quiet man regarding Honda's progress are enlightening.
As previously mentioned by a poster. They need both engines for better understanding and data. It would be the same if both of them would have used new engines. If they had any other manufacturer it would be going on those cars as well. They need data for better mapping and software for energy management. There is a chance one car may not make it!!! Cough Cough!!!!-Looking at you H.

This data is what redbull and any other potential customer will use.
I heard Renault is looking for an engine to become champions. "HAHAHAHA"

Nova
Nova

RonDennis wrote:
30 May 2018, 20:18
Talisman wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
30 May 2018, 16:40

I highly doubt Autosport does that, they know what's going on in the paddock because they are actually there.
No they're not. Do you actually think that Red Bull and Toro Rosso don't know what's coming from Honda's side? Of course they are. People talk and leak information all the time.
Remember that Honda has a history of over-promising and under-delivering. How many times have we heard that the update is coming, the update is coming, then see nothing?

Perhaps it has been a case of Honda not promising, just the media saying they do, but from what I could tell McLaren dumped Honda because they did not deliver on promises. They could not trust Honda.

McMika98
McMika98

Dont want to reignite the debate that we all are tired of. But the truth has been revealed in terms of the competitiveness of the car you mentioned. Anyways Honda had delivered when they had no issues with reliability they just got blamed for the cars inadequacies.

HPD

Nova wrote:
31 May 2018, 06:37
Remember that Honda has a history of over-promising and under-delivering. How many times have we heard that the update is coming, the update is coming, then see nothing?

Perhaps it has been a case of Honda not promising, just the media saying they do, but from what I could tell McLaren dumped Honda because they did not deliver on promises. They could not trust Honda.
Normally you can only enter 2 or 3 updates per year.
I hope you are not one of those people who think they can bring hardware updates every week. That is not possible.
Maybe you were manipulated by journalists. But the reality is very different.

I also do not understand the "Honda promises" that you say. Normally Honda does not talk much with journalists. So with more reason, if I were you, I would be careful with what is read and heard in the media.

Regards :)

turbof1

Each time a component is replaced (as planned), it will most probably feature an update, no matter how small it is. However, that update can be a small performance improver, a small efficiency improver, or a small reliability improver. The exception being when they have to swap PUs during race weekends due issues. Most likely you are dealing with the same specification.

Usually, bigger updates will feature multiple components being swapped at the same time. If you see for instance the turbo, ICE and MGU-H being swapped at the same time, it's a good indication it encompasses a large upgrade. Again, the exception is that issues during race weekends could force the same change without (necessarily) updates.

I'm not sure what the update in Canada entitles, but it seems to be most of the components due the high level of PU integration making use of older spec components more difficult. Most likely ICE, Turbo and MGU-H.
#AeroFrodo

makecry
makecry

Nova wrote:
31 May 2018, 06:37
RonDennis wrote:
30 May 2018, 20:18
Talisman wrote:

That's exactly what happened. There was a really big interview of a senior Honda engineer in a Japanese Magazine some time back. He explicitly said that they are disappointed that the failed updates and missed deadlines made McLaren loose their faith in them and thats why they split.

But yeah, it is what it is.

On topic, I am kinda hoping that this update is good. As a Fernando fan, I would be a tiny wee bit bitter but F1 needs Honda to be competent and I want Ricciardo to win world championship so that's that haha.

McHonda
McHonda

Yes it was the extra harvest upgrade and it was due in Baku. It came in Monza a week after the split unfortunately.

ME4ME

makecry wrote:
31 May 2018, 18:46
He explicitly said that they are disappointed that the failed updates and missed deadlines made McLaren loose their faith in them and thats why they split.
It's basically like Red Bull-Renault with the slight difference that Abiteboul would never admit fault whatsoever :lol:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ME4ME wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 20:23
makecry wrote:
31 May 2018, 18:46
He explicitly said that they are disappointed that the failed updates and missed deadlines made McLaren loose their faith in them and thats why they split.
It's basically like Red Bull-Renault with the slight difference that Abiteboul would never admit fault whatsoever :lol:
:D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

HPD

Talisman
Talisman

Fantastic stuff. I'm surprised how quickly the halo merged into the background, doesn't seem to make much difference to visibility.