2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nzjrs

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

techman wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 12:27
These are learning moments but it was not that bad to be honest. Hartley's race was always going to be compromised with the 35 place penalty. They were hoping for something to happen in the safety car window or that it would rain, it did not happen.
hartley race was comprimised having to start at back, however his race pace compared to gasly is night and day and its been for all this season. check fia.com and compare the race pace laptimes. gasly would have done a much better job. i at least expected to beat the mclaren who were slower than the toro rosso this race but he couldnt. anyway hoping he improves his game orelse it will not last that long with marko watching
I looked all over the FIA site for Gasly lap time at France, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe they don't count lap times if you don't finish the first lap?

rogazilla
rogazilla

My speculation is of 2 possibility.

I think it is more likely that they were gambling on Rain. Hartley don't have the pace to pass VAN even with fresh tires. Ideally all being equal he would pit on lap 17 and end up best case P12 to P16. Therefore with the best case there still no point, betting on Rain and do a 1 stopper give them an outside chance of scoring a point or 2.

Another possibility is that we have heard Hartley is having a hard time adapting to the tires and it was explained that's his trouble with his pace. Maybe this is a practice to drive the US to the ground and get him laps to understand the tire and the car. Or he is so bad on SS, degraded US was better for him than SS. I think this is a much less likely possibility.

techman
techman

I looked all over the FIA site for Gasly lap time at France, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe they don't count lap times if you don't finish the first lap?
here is the link download the fp2 practice laptimes. and compared gasly long run to hartley long run. gasly race pace was the best of the rest. the pace was there in the car.
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... ormation-6

nzjrs

techman wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 14:25
here is the link download the fp2 practice laptimes. and compared gasly long run to hartley long run. gasly race pace was the best of the rest. the pace was there in the car.
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... ormation-6
techman, please think technically. If you read the race reports (https://www.pitpass.com/62100/French-GP ... Toro-Rosso) you will see the long-runs were done on different compounds. The details matter and you are letting your hatred and general irrationality get in the way of dispassionate objective assessment.

HPD

For @techman :lol:
Q: Christian, given that you and Toro Rosso will again be sharing the same sort of power unit, will you be moving more and more towards a Haas-Ferrari-type deal between yourselves and Toro Rosso?
CH: Well, not quite the Haas-Ferrari because obviously Toro Rosso have their own infrastructure but there's obvious synergies that a common power unit supplier provides within what's permitted within the regulations – transmission, drivetrain etc – that creates those obvious synergies that will apply there, so I think it just makes life a bit easier all round.
Last edited by HPD on 25 Jun 2018, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

techman
techman

techman, please think technically. If you read the race reports (https://www.pitpass.com/62100/French-GP ... Toro-Rosso) you will see the long-runs were done on different compounds. The details matter and you are letting your hatred and general irrationality get in the way of dispassionate objective assessment.
i know hartley long run was done on soft tyre compared to the gasly supersoft but remember the difference between the two compound has little difference, in fact the soft compared is more favourable for race pace as we saw the race and also laptime on free practice by others running the compound. its not only paul ricard circuit , hartley on average 0.5 seconds slower than gasly all season, i hope he improves but i just cant see it happening soon. i support the team so i want the best drivers in the team. for me pascal is decent with experience and will help the team

Squid
Squid

Toro Rosso needs a clean weekend desperately. Baku was the last race where both cars finished the race, and out of the eight races so far, only in two of them we had both cars intact enough to get the checkered flag.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

A bit of info on the reliability issues. Surprisingly, they haven't made any connection with Hartley's failure to his shunt in Canada. It was quite a big impact, I was fairly certain it had a part to play. Or maybe they just won't say?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... y-1052154/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Revs84
Revs84

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 11:09
A bit of info on the reliability issues. Surprisingly, they haven't made any connection with Hartley's failure to his shunt in Canada. It was quite a big impact, I was fairly certain it had a part to play. Or maybe they just won't say?

Noticed that too. Maybe they don't want throw out any assumptions until the ICE is opened and fully inspected.

They also didn't mention anything about the mgu-h being the cause of Gasly's failure in Canada, even though it was reported to be so in other media.

Wouter

Revs84 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 11:58
Ground Effect wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 11:09

Noticed that too. Maybe they don't want throw out any assumptions until the ICE is opened and fully inspected.

They also didn't mention anything about the mgu-h being the cause of Gasly's failure in Canada, even though it was reported to be so in other media.

I think/know I read somewhere last week that the outage had to do with a bug caused by the crash in Canada, but I can not find it anywhere. Honda thought they had overlooked something, when they had completely inspected the car, the message said.
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Front wing upgrade. There is more upgrades on the floor or diffuser too?? Or only was reported the front wing from STR??

[media]https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFabreg ... 4023182336[/media]

McMika98
McMika98

Acc to F1 paddock pass, there is a huge upgrade including nose and floor. However it is only on Hartley's car so sadly it wont materialise as much as i was hoping. Maybe he will get to Q3.

Marti_EF3

McMika98 wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 07:40
Acc to F1 paddock pass, there is a huge upgrade including nose and floor. However it is only on Hartley's car so sadly it wont materialise as much as i was hoping. Maybe he will get to Q3.
Maybe if the upgrades work as expexted, they will put them to Gasly car too...

McMika98
McMika98

No i think they only have it for one car due to limited time, maybe in Silverstone they will have for both.
Really hope Hartley delivers a good performance.

restless
restless

Given Hartley is more expirienced, it could be simple reason:
he may be bit slower, but gives bit better feedback. So they use him to confirm if it works?