2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

godlameroso wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 14:52
I think Honda is sticking to it's aggressive development push they had last year. There really is no reason not to, particularly since the works deal with Red Bull is a done deal, it makes sense for Honda to push the development in order to hit the ground running next year where they can make a challenge for the title. There's no reason not to push the components to the brink out on track, it's literally the fastest way to develop engine parts.
I'd go as far as new PU, full change, every race.. RBR doesn't care about lost point revenue for STR if it gets them a better unit for next year.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Complete waste of time, Honda's downside has been because of poor reliabilty more than anything else, they need to keep pounding around on the same units and prove they last the milage for RBR, unless they want Horner stood in front of a camera every race next year blaming Honda for everything.

Bill
Bill

How does changing pu every race weekend help with development,this just an excuse for dodgy reliablity

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

maguetox wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:05
Where do you get that is likely that they don not finish the 2018?
https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/f ... t-20180702

If this is true, I bloody hope they sort it out. They’re easily the most efficient team on the grid and it’ll be a tremendous shame for SFI and F1 as a whole to see them fold.

Big Tea

I was thinking early in the year that Honda should not shy from replacing engines and components, if they can run them at a higher output without having to save them for the next race.
But now they seem close or equal to Renault, and the next step to Merc and Ferrari is too big, just changing the engine to get the benefit of a handful of HP is not really relevant,

So only as and when upgrades are available or if they have a choice of options and want to try them back to back, because although they are close to the back, that few places must be confidence boosting for them when they can see it improving slowly.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

techman
techman

Does any of you think brendon will score another point inF1 again. i personally dont see him score another point as long as there are cars ahead without retirements.
this season has showed no engines manufacturers have reliability except for the mercedes . we had a renault engine blow up in race. turbo change for alonso. even ferrari has issues with kimi car engine previously. honda new engines had issues but they got an extra friday pool of engine by starting brendon at the back.

toro rosso is a testing car with two rookies. and only one driver is capable of giving points and qualifying higher. so i believe honda should run the engine to the max , and start early to prepare a very reliable strong engine for next year wit redbull racing. i would prefer if the keep changing brendon engine if he again qualifies at the bottom, which i believe he will again soon. so there are more engines in the friday pool

hemichromis
hemichromis

techman wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 02:20
Does any of you think brendon will score another point inF1 again. i personally dont see him score another point as long as there are cars ahead without retirements.
this season has showed no engines manufacturers have reliability except for the mercedes . we had a renault engine blow up in race. turbo change for alonso. even ferrari has issues with kimi car engine previously. honda new engines had issues but they got an extra friday pool of engine by starting brendon at the back.

toro rosso is a testing car with two rookies. and only one driver is capable of giving points and qualifying higher. so i believe honda should run the engine to the max , and start early to prepare a very reliable strong engine for next year wit redbull racing. i would prefer if the keep changing brendon engine if he again qualifies at the bottom, which i believe he will again soon. so there are more engines in the friday pool
You didn't see Sunday then?

techman
techman

i meant engine failures. i know there a gearbox issue and fuel flow issue..

anyway just a question. can honda use replaced honda engine in brendon car on saturday in austria to be used in gasly friday practice. is that possible?

Revs84
Revs84

techman wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 08:21

anyway just a question. can honda use replaced honda engine in brendon car on saturday in austria to be used in gasly friday practice. is that possible?
AFAIK engines are per driver and not per team hence cannot be switched.

techman
techman

thanks, i was hoping honda could use that engine of brendons in gasly car in friday practice instead of running the spec 1 engine again.

ispano6

Bill wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 23:03
How does changing pu every race weekend help with development,this just an excuse for dodgy reliablity
Tactical change earlier in the year means they can swap engines during future race sessions and use one for practice and evaluation and the other with fewer miles for qualifying and race. Cycling in more newer specs and incurring the penalties in a race where you haven't much to lose is the strategy at play. It allows you to not have to switch back to the old spec in a future weekend.

Big Tea

Revs84 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:02
techman wrote:

Here is a thought. Engines are per car/driver, so if a driver comes in to replace Hartley, does he take a penalty, or does it just count as 'one engine'? It would apparently mean the new driver takes the one already in, but that is a little unfair
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

maguetox
maguetox

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 17:54
Revs84 wrote:
techman wrote:

Here is a thought. Engines are per car/driver, so if a driver comes in to replace Hartley, does he take a penalty, or does it just count as 'one engine'? It would apparently mean the new driver takes the one already in, but that is a little unfair
That´s the rule, a new driver have to use the PU that his predecesor had. If as unfair as the fact that if a PU is damage in an accident an need to be changed, it count within the 3 engines per season.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
Revs84 wrote:
techman wrote:

Engines are assigned to the car. Jenson took a penalty in Monaco last year when he stood in for Fernando.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
Revs84 wrote:
techman wrote:

Engines are assigned to the car. Jenson took a penalty in Monaco last year when he stood in for Fernando
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.