2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rogazilla
rogazilla

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Sayeman wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 20:18
Both Gasly and Hartley seem to be down on speed trap though, near the bottom. Wonder if the other three are pulling away again?
It is Hungary... not a power sensitive track and aiming for high speed does not necessary a fast lap make. I am more hoping that this means they have a direction on setup or more suited for the car.

GhostF1
GhostF1

rogazilla wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 04:25
Sayeman wrote:
Both Gasly and Hartley seem to be down on speed trap though, near the bottom. Wonder if the other three are pulling away again?
It is Hungary... not a power sensitive track and aiming for high speed does not necessary a fast lap make. I am more hoping that this means they have a direction on setup or more suited for the car.
It's interesting. Hartley was regularly showing higher speeds than Gasly through the traps (5-8kmh+) and Gasly was pretty much bang on Ricciardo's speeds. So two things. Hartley was likely running less downforce in his setup, would also make sense with the harder rubber strat. Gasly running higher DF and stickier rubber, lower top speeds.
Renault doesn't seem ahead at all regarding top speed. So I don't think the others are moving any faster than before.

Revs84
Revs84

GhostF1 wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 04:59
rogazilla wrote:
Sayeman wrote:
It's interesting. Hartley was regularly showing higher speeds than Gasly through the traps (5-8kmh+) and Gasly was pretty much bang on Ricciardo's speeds. So two things. Hartley was likely running less downforce in his setup, would also make sense with the harder rubber strat. Gasly running higher DF and stickier rubber, lower top speeds.
Renault doesn't seem ahead at all regarding top speed. So I don't think the others are moving any faster than before.
Or maybe just the fact that Hartley had DRS available and Gasly didn't ;)

Singabule
Singabule

Easy fact, DRS effect.

Singabule
Singabule

Double post
Last edited by Singabule on 31 Jul 2018, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

McMika98
McMika98

TR definitely have some high downforce setup that works very well in technical tracks with corners. But in the recent past they always have struggled with fast tracks requiring low downforce setup. Traction and mechanical grip is very good it seems. Singapore will be one to watch amd Austin, possibly Mexico. The next two will be tough. They have abandoned the front wing update it appears.

techman
techman

yeah the new front wing didnt work. at least they kept it out, hopefully they can bring a better front wing before the season is over.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Revs84 wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 07:21
GhostF1 wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 04:59
rogazilla wrote:

Or maybe just the fact that Hartley had DRS available and Gasly didn't ;)
Or maybe that haha.

Singabule
Singabule

techman wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 07:48
yeah the new front wing didnt work. at least they kept it out, hopefully they can bring a better front wing before the season is over.
Funny that somebody give u down vote, but currently STR dont even dare to touch that updated wing in downforce track . Good feeling mate!

etusch

It seems they will test only two PU version. Hartley still driving

rogazilla
rogazilla

Does anyone know if today is focusing on aero or PU? Spec 2 with some parts on it and test reliability? Looks like just pounding laps at the moment and would be great if it is spec 3 in there.

Godius

Maybe this is not the right topic for my question but I was wondering about something related to the James Key transfer to McLaren. Do you guys think that it is realistic that Red Bull are thinking of setting up a similar construction Ferrari uses with Dallara and Haas regarding the chassis? Although a lot of good innovations have come from the Toro Rosso aero-design team it is also money consuming for Red Bull to keep two separate design teams alive, especially after seeing how well the Ferrari-Dallara-Haas construction works and that that construction is legal.

rogazilla
rogazilla

From what I read, it definitely sounds like the direction RBR is going with TR. It was already mentioned next year TR will share the rear end with RB and many other parts. I believe they intended to do that for 2018 before the switch to Honda. I believe this is the reason Key looked for a way out to design his own car.

HPD

Jonathan Eddolls: Brendon was on duty driving the STR test car and carried out a very comprehensive plan, focusing on mechanical setup tests, aero work, tyre optimization, and Power Unit tests with Honda. We completed more scientific tests we normally aren't able to carry out during a race weekend due to time constraints, running various test items on the chassis side with a view of introducing those at a later date, which were quite successful. There was also a number of items tested on the PU, these also performed very well. We will continue our aero work tomorrow with plans to run quite a few rakes as many teams did today. Other items included a further understanding of the tyres in these extremely hot conditions; I think we've made very good progress during the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend, however, we wanted to confirm all of our findings and try to improve further. It was an extremely productive day, and there's some really positive performance items that have come out of testing which we can look forward to introducing in future races.

anthonyfa18
anthonyfa18

rogazilla wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 15:29
Does anyone know if today is focusing on aero or PU? Spec 2 with some parts on it and test reliability? Looks like just pounding laps at the moment and would be great if it is spec 3 in there.
if its a spec 2 with some new bits or if its a spec 3 motor it put a hell of a lot km with no problems i think honda is on the right track for redbull next year