2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Maybe they promoted Gasly bit too quick based on small sample size. Hartley has been there or thereabouts on most quali but nowhere in practises. On Pierres day he has trounced Hartley but its only been on few races.
Car has been going backwards for a while. New aero package failed badly and they are putting a lot of wing. Yet on an engine track they are better than Macca and Renault.

Big Tea

Not dripping cold water, but remember how many times Hartley has been around this track.
Still nice to see him looking good though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

henry

If he makes it through to next year Hartley is one who might benefit from the “driver + seat” rule change.

He is 1.84m tall and runs a BMI around 20. That’s not really thought of as healthy particularly for an athlete. Being able to eat more normally would likely improve his mental well-being as well as his physical fitness.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

restless
restless

do we know weight of Gasly and Hartley?
If Hartley is say, 5kg heavier that could explain the difference of 0.1-0.2, eg at Spa the fuel for 1 lap costs 0.1-0.15 ..

henry

I have Gasly at 70kg (1.77m) Hartley at 67. So Hartley is slimmer.

I think most teams can get the cars down to the limit so the weight differences affect balls sting not total car weight.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

techman
techman

congrats to gasly , but i knew and said only gasly will score because hartley race pace is 0.5 sec slower in race simulations and thats what happened. common marko give TR two quick driver for 2019. because hartly cant score reguarly

Big Tea

I think Hartley is a good driver, but not a good racer. He is more at home with sports cars. I think he wil be replaced.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

hasika
hasika

Have to say hartley's race pace is not good compared to gasly.
Anyway,Hass and FI are very fast this weekend obviously,so the point is very good.Its the best position TR can fight for after RIC and RAI's DNF.

Marti_EF3

Seeing Hartley overtaking 2 times a Ferrari engine on Spa, is promising for next year with Redbull. Honda seems it've improved with the energy management a lot too

restless
restless

As I see Hratley has 1 big problem - 1st lap. He lost positions at the start... and there was no going up from there.

Gasly gained in 1st lap - and kept it

McMika98
McMika98

They split strategy and made Hartley protect Gasly being his rear gunner. So he was always going to look bad. Lap1 is everything and he is quite conservative so dont expect much at start. Hopefully he will change. TR need to get atleast 5 to 6 tenths from the car as they have not progressed with their aero and they will compete with the top of midfield.
Shame they lost the direction of Key early into the season. He must have his mind on Mclaren and lost his focus early on.

nzjrs

Bad first lap for Hartley and the reverse strategy was a poor play.

restless
restless

Is someone aware when was Gasly's engine last changed?
I have a feeling that going with same engine till USA will be too much... unless they can use previously used engines from "engine pool"?

Revs84
Revs84

restless wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 09:34
Is someone aware when was Gasly's engine last changed?
I have a feeling that going with same engine till USA will be too much... unless they can use previously used engines from "engine pool"?
He currently has two spec 2 PUs in the pool, thanks to the tactical penalty he got in Germany, so unless there are any reliability issues, he should be fine.

anthonyfa18
anthonyfa18

IT AMZING TO SEE THE SPEC 2 HOW IT PREFORMED IN SPA , I WOUNDER WHAT THE SPEC 3