2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Talisman
Talisman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Key and Tost have both indicated that the Honda still isn't as powerful as the Renault but are optimistic that they will catch up.

I think the PU order is roughly unchanged since the end of last year. Ferrari and Mercedes close together and Honda and Renault close together.

I had the impression that Renault had sacrificed developing the 2017 unit to put everything into the 2018 unit hence the failure to improve reliability over the season. I'm quite disappointed by them so far. Otherwise few surprises on the PU front.

Its natural for STR to be happy with Honda. They've never had a works deal, I can imagine that if you've only ever had customer supplies arranged at the very last minute the attention you get from your supplier with a works deal is really quite something.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

More than cautiously optimistic, last year they could only manage 317. 333 would see them beat everyone. Was it wet all of last years test?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... stics.html

etusch

makecry
makecry

GhostF1 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 22:52
GoranF1 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 22:43
STR contradicts it self alot regarding power...first Hartly said, Mclaren made a mistake and Honda has more power than Renault, then someone said Honda plans to catch Renault by mid-season
Didn't Hartley say it was a far more driveable engine and that it felt better than the Renault they had at the end of last year? Not specifically oh yeah way more power.
In saying that, after watching a few of Hartley's interviews, he is very pro-Honda. He defends them even when there is no provocation, and he has said in at least three different interviews "there is quiet optimism from Honda and TR regarding the dyno results focusing on the performance steps to come". I think the dude is just geed to be back in F1 and backed by Honda solely.
Gasly is not as vocal about the matter.

James Key/Tost have never claimed it's more powerful, they've maintained they like what they see on the dyno. The constant we've heard from the team is just "mid season will be exciting".
Yup he said something on the lines "When I went to the factory there was this sense of optimism that no one wanted to talk about you could sense it". I feel it's just PR speak from him.

Wazari

I spoke to my nephew at length today. The mood at Sakura is one as others have mentioned is quiet optimism. The dyno numbers have correlated to track telemetry thus far. They have only run 3 of the most conservative race mappings out of the pre-programmed maps for Barcelona. The atmosphere is quite different under the current leadership. His words were, "more smiles and less anger. It's like dating the cute girl next door rather than the high maintenance super-model..." That made me laugh out loud. It appears they are testing the slightly more aggressive PU of the two built and tested for the start of the season.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

techman
techman

i reckon the honda engine is slightly better or equal to renault engine. renault have said they have around the same bhp as last race. so probably is slightly less. and honda is probably slightly better than last races. so it look even to me now and the speed trap of TR have always been higher than renault.

Gerhardsa

Where do you get this info from?

There is no proof that Honda has more horses than Renault.

And Honda faster in speed traps than Renault? Are you talking about pre-season testing? You should know by now that you CANNOT read anything into these figures yet. Its the first part of pre season so these guys are not even close to putting all their cards on the table.
Last edited by Gerhardsa on 02 Mar 2018, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

makecry
makecry

techman wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 06:30
i reckon the honda engine is slightly better or equal to renault engine. renault have said they have around the same bhp as last race. so probably is slightly less. and honda is probably slightly better than last races. so it look even to me now and the speed trap of TR have always been higher than renault.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... ult-battle

I don't know how you come to these conclusions. I mean probably one of the most reliable source on this ie James Key said they'd LIKE Honda to catch up to Renault midseason if everything goes well but that is from his knowledge of Renault PU of last year.

So here is a key personnel at STR telling the world that they hope/like to catch up to Renault in midseason so basically, July/August but your expert opinion is that Honda engine is already better/equal to Renault engine. =D>

McMika98
McMika98

makecry wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 08:25

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... ult-battle

I don't know how you come to these conclusions. I mean probably one of the most reliable source on this ie James Key said they'd LIKE Honda to catch up to Renault midseason if everything goes well but that is from his knowledge of Renault PU of last year.

So here is a key personnel at STR telling the world that they hope/like to catch up to Renault in midseason so basically, July/August but your expert opinion is that Honda engine is already better/equal to Renault engine. =D>
I didnt quiet understand why James said that because on same interview he said towards end of last year there was very small difference between the two. Also he says Honda have made a step but he does not know what Renault have done. Either he knows Renault 950+ number from Redbull which is a slightly more than Hondas current level.
But currently on track so far Renault appears to have used last years power levels, maybe next week they will turn the wick up. Cant wait.

Sayeman

Wazari wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 04:42
I spoke to my nephew at length today. The mood at Sakura is one as others have mentioned is quiet optimism. The dyno numbers have correlated to track telemetry thus far. They have only run 3 of the most conservative race mappings out of the pre-programmed maps for Barcelona. The atmosphere is quite different under the current leadership. His words were, "more smiles and less anger. It's like dating the cute girl next door rather than the high maintenance super-model..." That made me laugh out loud. It appears they are testing the slightly more aggressive PU of the two built and tested for the start of the season.
Keep the updates coming Wazari. High time Honda got some results
Never Give up.

Singabule
Singabule

GoranF1 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 22:43
STR contradicts it self alot regarding power...first Hartly said, Mclaren made a mistake and Honda has more power than Renault, then someone said Honda plans to catch Renault by mid-season
It not contradict, hartley says current honda has more power compared to 2017 renault, and some says renault have several more horses in their pocket in 2018 but need to confirm reliability first. James Key and Tost just played down their chance, its normal. Also, why mid season, because the deadline for RB to chose engine is May, and if RB technology is fully commit to join forces to develop honda unit, that will be huge boost. Now, there is split development between two engines integration, with less than 50% allocation to honda, and already reliable and drivable. Imagine at 100%. Plus, with honda Cash they can develop their chasis without worry to run out Cash, we could see spec B chasis with more efficient aero as well with smaller intakes and coolers

techman
techman

It not contradict, hartley says current honda has more power compared to 2017 renault, and some says renault have several more horses in their pocket in 2018 but need to confirm reliability first. James Key and Tost just played down their chance, its normal. Also, why mid season, because the deadline for RB to chose engine is May, and if RB technology is fully commit to join forces to develop honda unit, that will be huge boost. Now, there is split development between two engines integration, with less than 50% allocation to honda, and already reliable and drivable. Imagine at 100%. Plus, with honda Cash they can develop their chasis without worry to run out Cash, we could see spec B chasis with more efficient aero as well with smaller intakes and coolers
spot on

Again, Hartley was using wore out Renault PUs tuned conservatively so they would last. Look at how RB was doing with the Renault PU last few races of the season last year. Comparing the end of 2017 Renault PU power to the Honda PU power in testing is apples to oranges.

Renault has said they will be at 2017 power levels. What they mean is they will be at the full 2017 power levels, not the end of the year detuned levels. It all looks very promising for Honda this year but let's not get carried away. The team's 2018 target should be 6th with 8th or better being a success as far as I'm concerned. Combined their drivers have the least amount of F1 experience on the grid.

STR are a good, scrappy team and I'm excited to see what they will do.

GoranF1
GoranF1

techman wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 09:42
spot on
Meanwhile renault will sit whit their legs crossed and watch?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

AJI
AJI

There's no doubt it's been a great week for STR Honda. It makes me wonder if there's a Honda equipped RB14 in 'building 9' (or whatever it's called) being punished all day long gathering data..?