2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
NathanOlder
48
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Manoah2u wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 pm
I fully doubt Cosworth will provide anything better than they delivered Williams with a couple of years ago in the V8 era; in other words, a total bag of boogers.

Ask me, and Mclaren has only a few options from new entrants; BMW, Toyota, or Porsche/Audi. And quite frankly, they're too late already with that.
They should have sticked to Honda. By the time 2021 pops up, which is only 3 years away, Honda will have fixed their issues by long, hell, they might already mid 2018
or at the start of 2019, even though some reports suggest 2018 is going to be a repeat for Honda. But even then, all teams will have a vast jump on development for the 2021 engine,
and any other manufacturer will have just stepped in and will get exactly the same start as Honda did, perhaps minutely less big of an impact but to think any manufacturer can step
in 2021 and be competitive from the start is delusional, even if it would be BMW or Audi/Porsche to name some, having the budget and motivation to go at it.
Cosworth? hell nah, the only benefit with Cosworth would be that they'd essentially be Mclaren's slave and build an engine like Mclaren wants it too - so that would make it a Mclaren v6 actually. but we have seen just how good that has went down the past years.

i don't want to be negative nancy here, but Mclaren's only chance on short-term success is what they signed up with now, Renault, and that will really be short-term as they'll soon find Renault to beat them, and then they'll be back to square one as a definate customer, which is simply what they are. It means they might have some decent results in 2018 and 2019, but that's going to be it.

I am afraid to say it but Mclaren is going all the way back to where Williams was before, it'll become carbon copy. especially if they grab a Cosworth.

They never should have split with Mercedes. If they kept their relationship intact and friendly, they would be atleast in Force India's spot. And 2014 saw a very competitive Williams. Yet Mclaren was lost. their chassis was bogus, and one can only wonder what reasonable proof they have to believe that the 2018 one will be actually good.
100% agree with this.

I've always believed Mclaren's best chance of winning is with Honda. Mclaren Honda had more chance at a title that Mclaren Renault, Mclaren Mercedes & Mclaren Ferrari.

As Ron said, You won't win a title as a customer in these regulations. If renault mercedes or Ferrari have the best engine it means the works time will win (red bull now losing the works status means their time as best renault team is coming to an end now Renault have invested in their team properly ). If Honda come up with the best engine, Mclaren WOULD have won.

Honda won't always be this bad, Its not possible, if they continue to pump the money in they WILL come good. It happens with every team in every sport.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

User avatar
diffuser
207
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

marmer wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 am
They are back to the same position as they where under Mercedes but maybe slightly behind the actual on track position. As soon as Renault get the car together they will favour themselves over other teams like Mercedes do with the qualification mode in the engine maps. They already have a track record of doing so from last season when they held new parts from Toro rosso
New parts aren't always a blessing. Yes your are the first to get the xtra power or whatever they bring but you're also running a hire chance of failure.

User avatar
RedNEO
30
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:28 pm
Manoah2u wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 pm
I fully doubt Cosworth will provide anything better than they delivered Williams with a couple of years ago in the V8 era; in other words, a total bag of boogers.

Ask me, and Mclaren has only a few options from new entrants; BMW, Toyota, or Porsche/Audi. And quite frankly, they're too late already with that.
They should have sticked to Honda. By the time 2021 pops up, which is only 3 years away, Honda will have fixed their issues by long, hell, they might already mid 2018
or at the start of 2019, even though some reports suggest 2018 is going to be a repeat for Honda. But even then, all teams will have a vast jump on development for the 2021 engine,
and any other manufacturer will have just stepped in and will get exactly the same start as Honda did, perhaps minutely less big of an impact but to think any manufacturer can step
in 2021 and be competitive from the start is delusional, even if it would be BMW or Audi/Porsche to name some, having the budget and motivation to go at it.
Cosworth? hell nah, the only benefit with Cosworth would be that they'd essentially be Mclaren's slave and build an engine like Mclaren wants it too - so that would make it a Mclaren v6 actually. but we have seen just how good that has went down the past years.

i don't want to be negative nancy here, but Mclaren's only chance on short-term success is what they signed up with now, Renault, and that will really be short-term as they'll soon find Renault to beat them, and then they'll be back to square one as a definate customer, which is simply what they are. It means they might have some decent results in 2018 and 2019, but that's going to be it.

I am afraid to say it but Mclaren is going all the way back to where Williams was before, it'll become carbon copy. especially if they grab a Cosworth.

They never should have split with Mercedes. If they kept their relationship intact and friendly, they would be atleast in Force India's spot. And 2014 saw a very competitive Williams. Yet Mclaren was lost. their chassis was bogus, and one can only wonder what reasonable proof they have to believe that the 2018 one will be actually good.
100% agree with this.

I've always believed Mclaren's best chance of winning is with Honda. Mclaren Honda had more chance at a title that Mclaren Renault, Mclaren Mercedes & Mclaren Ferrari.

As Ron said, You won't win a title as a customer in these regulations. If renault mercedes or Ferrari have the best engine it means the works time will win (red bull now losing the works status means their time as best renault team is coming to an end now Renault have invested in their team properly ). If Honda come up with the best engine, Mclaren WOULD have won.

Honda won't always be this bad, Its not possible, if they continue to pump the money in they WILL come good. It happens with every team in every sport.
Too many if’s with Honda. This talk about “they will come good” “it’s just a matter of time” gets old after 4 years. Feel free to go support them just leave them out of McLaren Renault threads. It’s off topic and has no place here.

User avatar
etusch
131
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Are you doing what you have recomended at other topics? Or this is your holy Mclaren's right only?

User avatar
RedNEO
30
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Renault seem to be going about there business quietly which is a good approach. It’s been a few months since they said they were months ahead on reliablity targets for 2018 compared to the year before. Let’s hope we hear nothing until testing and their engine hits it out the park.

User avatar
diffuser
207
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

etusch wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm
Are you doing what you have recomended at other topics? Or this is your holy Mclaren's right only?
Not sure who you're talking too.

User avatar
etusch
131
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 pm
etusch wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm
Are you doing what you have recomended at other topics? Or this is your holy Mclaren's right only?
Not sure who you're talking too.
Redneo

marmer
marmer
1
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 am

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:52 pm
marmer wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 am
They are back to the same position as they where under Mercedes but maybe slightly behind the actual on track position. As soon as Renault get the car together they will favour themselves over other teams like Mercedes do with the qualification mode in the engine maps. They already have a track record of doing so from last season when they held new parts from Toro rosso
New parts aren't always a blessing. Yes your are the first to get the xtra power or whatever they bring but you're also running a hire chance of failure.
not talking about new parts here they didn't give toro rosso any new old stock and as such had to run with reduced power combined with the fact that they give their own cars real new parts with more performance around the same time when toro rosso parts all started to fail due to wear and tear

Manoah2u
Manoah2u
61
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

etusch wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:44 pm
diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 pm
etusch wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm
Are you doing what you have recomended at other topics? Or this is your holy Mclaren's right only?
Not sure who you're talking too.
Redneo
it's like gotten kindergarten over here with all this rediculous behavior. geesh. first 24 hours of 2018 have passed and there seems to be no break of this absolute nonsense.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

User avatar
diffuser
207
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

marmer wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 am
diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:52 pm
marmer wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 am
They are back to the same position as they where under Mercedes but maybe slightly behind the actual on track position. As soon as Renault get the car together they will favour themselves over other teams like Mercedes do with the qualification mode in the engine maps. They already have a track record of doing so from last season when they held new parts from Toro rosso
New parts aren't always a blessing. Yes your are the first to get the xtra power or whatever they bring but you're also running a hire chance of failure.
not talking about new parts here they didn't give toro rosso any new old stock and as such had to run with reduced power combined with the fact that they give their own cars real new parts with more performance around the same time when toro rosso parts all started to fail due to wear and tear
There are rules against that inforced by the FIA.

User avatar
bauc
33
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am
Location: Skopje, Macedonia

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL McLAREN and F1 FANS, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

User avatar
RedNEO
30
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

bauc wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:55 am
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL McLAREN and F1 FANS, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
Happy 2018
May it bring us and the team good fortune

Restomaniac
Restomaniac
0
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 am
Location: Hull

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

diffuser wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:28 am
marmer wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 am
diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:52 pm


New parts aren't always a blessing. Yes your are the first to get the xtra power or whatever they bring but you're also running a hire chance of failure.
not talking about new parts here they didn't give toro rosso any new old stock and as such had to run with reduced power combined with the fact that they give their own cars real new parts with more performance around the same time when toro rosso parts all started to fail due to wear and tear
There are rules against that inforced by the FIA.
STR didn't seem to think so.

User avatar
bauc
33
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am
Location: Skopje, Macedonia

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

RedNEO wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 am
bauc wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:55 am
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL McLAREN and F1 FANS, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
Happy 2018
May it bring us and the team good fortune
If the team is back to the top 4 next year, I will consider that a successful season
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

User avatar
mclaren111
272
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Image

AND

Image


The best two things in the world !!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: