2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

He said that from spain they would start to bring performance to the car but that he thought any challenge that might come would be later in the season. I think the whole team has been realistic and knows the path they are taking.

We've got where we are not just through luck, but for having a great driver too. Brown and Boullier facilitated that and should get credit. We are not 4th in the constructors by the geace of god. As far as im concerned, if we consolidate a 7th place finish and start challenging for regular P5 opportunities then weve done what we need to do with the initial upgrade. Even if we continue to lag in qualy v race.

Its a long path but hopefully the development path that has opened up now will continue to bring steady relative gains throughout the season.
Last edited by mwillems on 12 May 2018, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

makecry
makecry

McMika98 wrote:
12 May 2018, 07:31
GoranF1 wrote:
12 May 2018, 07:08
Alosno said updates at each coming race "from now on".
I guess they waited for this philosopy change to start bring updates to each race as they used to im 2016 and 2017
Last 3 years has taught me to take that with a pinch of salt. Didn't he say Australia will be the worst race and then it's back to the top from there. His best results were in Australia. Dont be suprised if he will now say stuff to put pressure on the team to deliver on their best chassis proclaimation from last 2 years.
What does 2017 have to do with 2018? The car was built around a works partnership with Honda, this year it is built around a customer Renault PU. It's downright illogical and moronic to even expect the same level of chassis performance with a new customer PU with a completely different architecture after such a late PU change. FFS, this is just like comparing 2014 to 2017. It's irrelevant and there is a reason why logical people dont mention it.

McMika98
McMika98

Im sorry maybe u need to test your ears. We were to expect podiums and seconds gain from changing the engine alone, forget the gains from aero and chassis. This was coming from EB, Zak and Alonso. Im not making these expectations. So are u questioning their logic?

Andres125sx

McMika98 wrote:
12 May 2018, 07:31
Last 3 years has taught me to take that with a pinch of salt. Didn't he say Australia will be the worst race and then it's back to the top from there. His best results were in Australia.
True, Alonso didn´t predict both Haas retirements and Verstappen problems in Australia, McLaren should fire him!! :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o

McMika98 wrote:
12 May 2018, 09:51
Im sorry maybe u need to test your ears. We were to expect podiums and 2 seconds gain from changing the engine alone, forget the gains from aero and chassis. This was coming from EB, Zak and Alonso. Im not making these expectations. So are u questioning their logic?
2 seconds gain?? And you say Mackery to test his ears? #-o #-o #-o

Postmoe

Re: McLaren MCL33

Could we dub the thing? Alien nose? LGM nose?

mclaren111

TheGkbrk wrote:
12 May 2018, 01:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2018, 01:33
After all that development and associated costs... The car is still slower than a Haas! What the hell McLaren?!
A bit early to draw a conclusion. Let's wait and see after the testing.
Agreed.

And I think the earliest we will see new Sidepods is when we get the upgraded PU. Renault mentioned Canada ?

Hopefully by then we will be able to optimize the PU integration.

Martin Brundle mentioned yesterday (trackside) that Mclaren's rear is not stable and traction is still a problem.

makecry
makecry

mclaren111 wrote:
12 May 2018, 10:52
TheGkbrk wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2018, 01:33
After all that development and associated costs... The car is still slower than a Haas! What the hell McLaren?!
Agreed.

And I think the earliest we will see new Sidepods is when we get the upgraded PU. Renault mentioned Canada ?

Martin Brundle mentioned yesterday (trackside) that Mclaren's rear is not stable and traction is still a problem.
I think that has more to do with suspension. I hope its not the rear suspension that's causing problems.

Where does this new sidepod speculation come from? I doubt we will see major change there. I dont know thought, I dont have a crystal ball :D

Alonso Fan

makecry wrote:
12 May 2018, 11:00
mclaren111 wrote:
12 May 2018, 10:52
TheGkbrk wrote:

Agreed.

I think that has more to do with suspension. I hope its not the rear suspension that's causing problems.

Where does this new sidepod speculation come from? I doubt we will see major change there. I dont know thought, I dont have a crystal ball :D
It just clicked with me. Mclaren111 might be on to something. It just makes sense
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

There should be an upgrade regarding Q pace, but I don't think it will be a huge step. Q3 is possible, but it will be a good fight with Haas and possibly Renault( They seemed kinda lost yesterday, but they certainly aren't so down the order).

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

makecry wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:36
RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:33
makecry wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:28

Wouldn't we be know by now if there were new parts?
I didn't see any new parts in FP1. They did change the nose during the session, don't know why (both new spec).
I was intrigued by that too. Why change the nose with a new one of same spec.
Probably just practicing a nose change with the all-new nose mate. To see if everything slots nicely under pressure.

BrunoH
BrunoH

It is what it is.. we will know in Qualy, that is the true pace and thats it, no need to wait for testing.

mclaren111

AlbertFabrega:

Change already announced by ICE, turbo and MGUH. Alonso also rides new turbo. It's the Second unit of the 3 allowed for the entire season.
:( :(

McMika98
McMika98

Hope u still honour ure bet that Mclaren will catch RedBull or leap over Renault?

LeClerc

Mansour is on track, and I spotted Whitmarsh in the Garage.

Pressure building?
It is I, LeClerc!

RonDennis
RonDennis

LeClerc wrote:
12 May 2018, 14:02
Mansour is on track, and I spotted Whitmarsh in the Garage.

Pressure building?
Mansour visits the team regulary.