2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Does anyone know if they were using new PU or if they will use the new PU from FP3 onwards?

McHonda
McHonda

They would've used it yeah. Teams don't like debuting new engine parts in FP3 because of the turnaround to Qualifying being too small. Verify it on the Friday and if something goes wrong then you lose FP1 and FP2 at the absolute most while if you have a failure in FP3 it can ruin qualifying too.

proteus

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:47
techman wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:00
Sky F1 says new engine 30-40hp upgrade and worth 3 /10.

adrian newey say new renault only give 0.1 second. you think those sky broadcaster know more than the adrian newey working in the team. gain mostly likely with new aero bit added not engine.only 0.1 gain from new renault
Newey is not a reliable source either, any improvement asigned to the PU is an improvement not asigned to his aero upgrade, so he will always be conservative about the actual PU improvement

Also, RBR is far from prone to praise his PU supplier, they even did renounce to use their brand name :wink:
In the sake of the data sharing we get during the broadcasts, i dont understand why are the figures of individual engines not at disposal for the public? If anything, Liberty should introduce a demand that all engine manufacturers must provide their precise power figures of their engines. The power for qualifying and the power for the race. Atleast we would get the insight what deficit some teams have to conquer to be competitive. I dont understand why is this such a guarded secret. Atleast it would be good to get the figures of previous years, since those engines are no longer in use.

This statements about 10hp here, 40 there and so on are literally pointless - atleast for me, since no significant leap is not seen anywhere in the field. 20 years ago a jump of 40hp would mean a monstrous jump in competitveness, in now days we hear claims about these updates and progress on the other side is little to none.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

GoranF1
GoranF1

Quali will be painfull, Torro Rosso who now have a engine whit maybe a few HP less, will be infront because whit double less budget they menaged to build better car.
Q1 exit on hands.
I hope Alonso leaves to Indycar before the end of this season.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 18:08
Quali will be painfull, Torro Rosso who now have a engine whit maybe a few HP less, will be infront because whit double less budget they menaged to build better car.
Q1 exit on hands.
But what did you say yesterday? Bye bye midfield....
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Little bit awkward fp3 but it seems we haven't seen Alonso's pace yet. It's very close in the midfield, if he did a lap 1 tenth quicker than Vandoorne he would be at P7 (FP3).

GoranF1
GoranF1

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 18:20
GoranF1 wrote:
Q1 exit on hands.
Because Mclaren was the one and only stupidest team that showed everything yesterday.
Even Force India and TR were smarter than that.
Sorry i am just frustraded.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

techman
techman

Hi GoranF1. i remember you said you are going to put money on a alonso podium in spain, just curious did you do it. or were you joking?

RonDennis
RonDennis

GoranF1 wrote:
Q1 exit on hands.
McLaren has been poor the whole year, not really surprising that they aren't fighting the top 3 in Canada, is it?

Last edited by RonDennis on 09 Jun 2018, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

OzanA
OzanA

Guys,Are you serious?Its clear that Mclaren mostly did race setups this session.

Benii6
Benii6

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 18:45
Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 18:20
GoranF1 wrote:
Q1 exit on hands.
Because Mclaren was the one and only stupidest team that showed everything yesterday.
Even Force India and TR were smarter than that.
Sorry i am just frustraded.
Stupidest team that showed everything? I don't get it. Are teams supposed to hide pace? Do they magically gain speed in quali, if they don't show everything on friday?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Race setup is exactly what they said they were going to do yesterday, because they're not expecting qualifying speed to be great here but overtaking is easy, so they're setting up for the race.

techman
techman

guys dont worry, i believe mclaren were doing long run pace, so there is more to come

OzanA
OzanA

SV did a 1.14.1 on SS at the first minutes of FP3 and did a 1.13.0 on HS last 10 minutes.

So do you think SS->HS + track evoulition only paid 1.1 seconds?

McMika98
McMika98

So much drama even before quali. God help some fans here. But then they continue to be blinded and got played the team by running low fuel glory runs on FP1. The car was struggling to get to 320 on the straight. Alonso need to deliver the 3 tenths if they want to get to Q3