2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

If it wasn't for the terrible Toyota flop, I would say that money would fix it. I believe in reality though, you got to find the right people. Once again I would be looking at James key, Bob Fernley, people like that. If what James has done with ToroRosso with that limited budget is anything to go by, I would kick Peter to the curb and sign that man in a minute.

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 21:51
So they admit the problem is aero. Funny.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... g-1047361/
Yes. I made this call and was bashed across head for it. Glad that Zak finally wiped the BS on the windscreen away.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

ollandos wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 00:06
...i wish for rain and podium finish even lucky tomorrow ...to see eric face against journalists....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

about the situation in the team and car performance ...i dont believe any word from anywhere ....for me mclaren is on its target ...they dont want to win they dont want spend money ..alonso is there becauce there is no other seat on f1 for him ..the object i think is the new blond ...norris and stoffel if speed up his game ..for the future .. no sooner than 2021 ..problaby arround 2024 .. about the car ..my opinion there is desing limit .. after symmer brake must have even brand new car ..is unacceptable for team like mclaren to not solve this type problem for so long time ...and something key ..after 2014 top teams fire and hire top staff persons ..and mclaren non of them ..PP it was off from red bull for 2014 1st year of new hydrid era ..and come in on 2015 .(late semptember of 2014 with not very much work for entire season car spec ) ..bob bell james alison ..and many others go here and there ...
Big conspiracy claim. Are ypu siggesting that Zack is holding back on development money to aggravate Alonso into leaving so he can get cheaper drivers?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 02:46
godlameroso wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 21:51
So they admit the problem is aero. Funny.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... g-1047361/
Yes. I made this call and was bashed across head for it. Glad that Zak finally wiped the BS on the windscreen away.
The thing is the car is pretty damn good aero wise save for a crucial detail, except that fixing this detail has huge knock on effects, so they can't just haphazardly throw parts at it. It's worth a lot of time if they get it working, maybe you take issue with PP's methodical approach, and maybe you're right, they just need to be a little more adventurous with their design in this area. Obviously when it comes to design you are always guessing, but you try to minimize the risks, it's easier to take risks with unlimited resources. With limited resources you have to bank on sure things, sure thing number 1 is iteration, a distant second is exploiting generalized principles to guide development, and number 3 is a complete radical overhaul which is a sign of desperation. No self respecting narcissist would dare take option 3, but option 3 may be what's needed.
Saishū kōnā

techman
techman

actually the race pace of mclaren gave a good indication . they were pretty slow compared to midfield. i wonder how they will fare in austria

mclaren111

godlameroso wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 14:36
The problem is aero, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. They're throwing away the better part of a second because they don't take advantage of a big chunk of surface area in a critical location. It's just a void, a stagnant void that isn't doing anything at all, and it's not even the whole car that has to change, it's just one little area. Because otherwise the car is excellent aero wise. You think it's B.S. but all the tests they're doing will just end up telling them what I've been saying all along.

It seems you were right all along. =D> =D> =D>

Andrew Benson - BBC:
Brown said the car's performance was "frustrating" but insisted: "We will get it right."

He says the problems with the car are "aerodynamic but don't show up in the wind tunnel, so we can't replicate them in the wind tunnel, so we have to try to rectify them on the track."

That analysis raises questions about the very fundamentals of McLaren's design process - and about how the team might possibly be able to fix a problem the causes of which it cannot identify.
Since then, Brown has brought in former Indycar champion Gil De Ferran, Honda's F1 sporting director for a couple of years in the mid-2000s, as a roving adviser. The Brazilian has been keeping a low profile, but has attended every race since Spain early last month, with a remit to offer advice and opinion on whatever areas he sees fit.
Meanwhile, the pressure is building massively on Boullier, who set up the technical structure that is under review. The Frenchman has been asked in both Canada and France whether he should resign. He said that he wouldn't.

Is Gil De Ferran a good choice ?? I am not really familiar with him except as a driver.

Food for thought.
Last edited by mclaren111 on 24 Jun 2018, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

techman
techman

not having good mechanical grip doesnt necessarily mean bad aero. the rear suspension geometry has an issue. but also their is an inefficient aero issue that cause them to loose time on the straights

mclaren111

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 16:20
Oh my...Can it get worse than this? #-o
I have two passions in life (excluding daughter): F1 (Mclaren) & Pink Floyd.

This year is my 30th anniversary of being a McLaren fan (fanatical), and sadly it seems it's going to be the worst !! !! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by mclaren111 on 24 Jun 2018, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

McMika98
McMika98

So last three years they had full correlation and all of a sudden this year they find issues not detectable in wind tunnel or to that matter CFD. Another pathetic excuse. The aero is an evolution from last year so if they dont understand the issue after 2.5 years then its over. Its not a Williams with a new car alltogether, the car behaves very well acc to all drivers including Lando.

Alonso Fan

McMika98 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 10:38
So last three years they had full correlation and all of a sudden this year they find issues not detectable in wind tunnel or to that matter CFD. Another pathetic excuse. The aero is an evolution from last year so if they dont understand the issue after 2.5 years then its over. Its not a Williams with a new car alltogether, the car behaves very well acc to all drivers including Lando.
Actually it can be quite common. Red bull started last year with the same issues after a blazing 2016
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

McL-H
McL-H

Autosport: Brown was addressing media in the team's post-qualifying briefing, which Boullier missed because, according to McLaren, he needed to attend its engineering meeting.
So the end of Boullier is nigh, finally. It’s absolute nonsense of course that EB was attending a engineering meeting. These things are all planned in order of responsibilities.. Zak is next.

I hope Whitmarsh will be brought back to refind McLaren’s identity, ease unhappyiness among staf and rebuild the team.

F1Krof

McL-H wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 11:01
Autosport: Brown was addressing media in the team's post-qualifying briefing, which Boullier missed because, according to McLaren, he needed to attend its engineering meeting.
So the end of Boullier is nigh, finally. It’s absolute nonsense of course that EB was attending a engineering meeting. These things are all planned in order of responsibilities.. Zak is next.

I hope Whitmarsh will be brought back to refind McLaren’s identity, ease unhappyiness among staf and rebuild the team.
I knew from the beginning that EB is overrated. Those successful days at Lotus were a mirage, it was merely Renault's Engine drivebility and those EBD engine mappings that gave them a good chance. Since 2013 they're nowhere. Too many changes, and yet they remain blind to the problem that they still see themselves as Winning Team. They're not humble enough and do everything with pride. Too bad for Alonso really.

I think they should bring Paddy Lowe, for one I'm sure Mercedes regretted letting him go, I believe he is the one who can turn things around for McLaren. Build a nice simple car and undestandable, and then improve slowly upon it. This is what they need.

Just look at their nose? Wtf is that? It screams: "Yeahh look at us, we have the most complex looking pieces on our car". Of course you're not going to understand such a hideous thing.
Wroom wroom

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 02:16
GrayGreat wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:55
Any news on the updates for this GP? I'm hoping McLaren will bring good amount of updates to this race ( dear updates, please work and solve the issues [-o< ) because with the triple header and short time between Austrian and British GPs, I don't think it'll be possible to bring any substantial updates to those races.
Have you tried killing a few chickens yet? You can try a lamb. Usually the bigger the sacrifice the more likely the Gods to listen. 8)
Boullier? :D

It does not seem that money or ability is the problem at Mclaren. It seems to me to be continuing poor decision making.
Either there is a case of 'design by committee', in which case they want a swan but come up with a platypus, or the person with the loudest voice does not know what they are doing.

I would suggest Mclaren swallow their pride and chase Stefano Domenicali, but if his advice would not be followed by the high up's, it would be another dead end.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

BrunoH
BrunoH

im just waiting for Fernando to shout on the radio : GP2 chassis, GP2 Chassis .