2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
les arcs
les arcs

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

We're doomed?

Carmack

radosav wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 20:13
GoranF1 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:53
There's a saying in my country regarding today's Mclaren Qualifying form, it goes like this; Jad i bijeda.
What does it mean?
Misery.

diffuser

zeph wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:30
diffuser wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 10:44
zeph wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 02:12

What? Moaning?

Did you even read what I wrote? I’m defending him.
Wasn't point specifically at you.
Then maybe next time don’t quote me?
Sorry, didn't think you'd take to such offense from it.

radosav
radosav

I love to see McLaren fighting their skin off trying to fix things.

The_table

I've been out of the loop for a while now (Still watch all the races but i don't follow the news.)

What is it with Alonso's teammates performing so disappointingly, does he hog up all the resources, does he actively screw them over, is he incapable of developing a car, does he demand something only he can drive?

I'm confused lads... (Please don't take this the wrong way, i like Fred but damn...)

Neno
Neno

The_table wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:35
I've been out of the loop for a while now (Still watch all the races but i don't follow the news.)

What is it with Alonso's teammates performing so disappointingly, does he hog up all the resources, does he actively screw them over, is he incapable of developing a car, does he demand something only he can drive?

I'm confused lads... (Please don't take this the wrong way, i like Fred but damn...)
maybe he is just better than all of them. that could be actual thing. you know he was twice world champion. in his time youngest one.

The_table

Maybe, but if he's just better, why does the performance of his teammates go down...?

makecry
makecry

The_table wrote:

How can a driver
1) Actively screw over his/her teammates?

2)Be capable of developing a car, it's not like they are engineers

3)Demand someting only he can drive?

The truth is drivers dont design the cars, engineers do. Nico once said that they dont have any major influence on cars, the factory provides them with what they think will be the fastest way to go around the track and the drivers make do.

There was an interview on motorsport nl of Stoffel, basically Stoffel said he spends a lot of time at factory working closely with Peter Prodromou than Fernando does and his car has had parts specific for him since Spain or Baku.

Drivers also choose their own setup. Fernando CAN NOT set Stoffel's car up.

This whole Fernando develops car for himself is bullshit and i dont know how it originates. I don't know why people discard the most important fact of em all, the guy is one of the greatest drivers to ever race. Look how much faster he was at Le Mans than his teammates. Did Toyota develop the TS050 for him? LOL, that car is a 2016 car made before even Fernando was in picture and he still had an average advantage of 0.4 seconds over them. It took entire McLaren team and change of tires to Bridgestones from Michelin for Fernando to be "matched" by Lewis and since then no other driver has come close, not even Kimi. Hell Kimi was even worse than Stoffel.

The point is Fernando is just that good.

makecry
makecry

The_table wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:45
Maybe, but if he's just better, why does the performance of his teammates go down...?
What the fark does that even mean? It is him who has insane performance ceiling, his teammate's performance doesn't go down, they are just exposed.

RonDennis
RonDennis

makecry wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:51
The_table wrote:

How can a driver
1) Actively screw over his/her teammates?

2)Be capable of developing a car, it's not like they are engineers

3)Demand someting only he can drive?

The truth is drivers dont design the cars, engineers do. Nico once said that they dont have any major influence on cars, the factory provides them with what they think will be the fastest way to go around the track and the drivers make do.

There was an interview on motorsport nl of Stoffel, basically Stoffel said he spends a lot of time at factory working closely with Peter Prodromou than Fernando does and his car has had parts specific for him since Spain or Baku.

Drivers also choose their own setup. Fernando CAN NOT set Stoffel's car up.

This whole Fernando develops car for himself is bullshit and i dont know how it originates. I don't know why people discard the most important fact of em all, the guy is one of the greatest drivers to ever race. Look how much faster he was at Le Mans than his teammates. Did Toyota develop the TS050 for him? LOL, that car is a 2016 car made before even Fernando was in picture and he still had an average advantage of 0.4 seconds over them. It took entire McLaren team and change of tires to Bridgestones from Michelin for Fernando to be "matched" by Lewis and since then no other driver has come close, not even Kimi. Hell Kimi was even worse than Stoffel.

The point is Fernando is just that good.
Exactly, McLaren knows that as well. One of the best drivers I've ever seen.

zoroastar
zoroastar

its going to be extremely lame if he quits under current circumstances. mclaren need to get their sh*t together. i think hell prolly stick around for another year though. knowing he cant see ending it like this.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

zoroastar wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 01:03
its going to be extremely lame if he quits under current circumstances. mclaren need to get their sh*t together. i think hell prolly stick around for another year though. knowing he cant see ending it like this.
He may ask for a pay rise, I believe he's on $25M? Rumour was they were offering Daniel Ricciardo $20M, if Fernando left.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McG

It would be great if Alonso stayed on for another few years while McLaren got back on track, if they ever do. Don't really see it happening with a Renault engine though.
F1 is dead.

f1universe
f1universe

The_table wrote:

Button did OK against Alonso, so is a mix of Alonso being too good and Stoffel maybe not as good as people thought.

It's really a shame that Alonso is going to retire with all this myths around him, he is toxic, bad car developer, he develop the car for himself, he is not a team player and so on.

Zynerji

f1universe wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 05:58
The_table wrote:

Button did OK against Alonso, so is a mix of Alonso being too good and Stoffel maybe not as good as people thought.

It's really a shame that Alonso is going to retire with all this myths around him, he is toxic, bad car developer, he develop the car for himself, he is not a team player and so on.
Fully agreed. Let's not forget that he won 2 championships with a tuned mass damper which was deemed illegal, only after its hidden installation was revealed.

And he has watched not one, but two men double his championship count, and it tears him apart enough for him to belittle their achievements.

He reminds me of Scott Stapp.