2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Zynerji wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 02:51
The only real fear is him recruiting junior ppl to follow him to McLaren.
I think taking few key allies is inevitable, I'm assuming the lower ranked staff won't have such a binding contract, they should be able to give a shorter notice. Zak Brown also confirmed they are not done with bringing in talent. I think for Mclaren, it would be a big boost if they can get one or two key staff from Red Bull and Renault, aero, engineering etc. But it would take something special to lure them.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 09:20
Perhaps he has a 6 month notice period and has handed in the notice, or perhaps there is a clause if he is offered a particular role by certain teams. Not sure you can tie someone to finish their contract, that sounds like modern day slavery.
Well that is the point of a contract :D. TBH I doubt they would hold him until the very end, not unless they want to deprive Mclaren, which is conceivable as they may well be fighting for the same points next year.

There will be many things he can do which will keep him interested and help the company. One of my ex-bosses had the job of 'apprentice development' when he was serving his notice. Each morning the apprentices asked for him to 'show' them something and the 'winner' got him for the day. He also went to customers to see how they used and deprecated our kit and do a bit of sales and feedback. Sort of an excuse for jollies, but enjoyable and productive.

No, I do not expect the same for him, but there are lots of things he can do that help him and his employers.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Mentorship is the mark of any great leader...

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 12:25
mwillems wrote:
Perhaps he has a 6 month notice period and has handed in the notice, or perhaps there is a clause if he is offered a particular role by certain teams. Not sure you can tie someone to finish their contract, that sounds like modern day slavery.
Well that is the point of a contract :D. TBH I doubt they would hold him until the very end, not unless they want to deprive Mclaren, which is conceivable as they may well be fighting for the same points next year.

There will be many things he can do which will keep him interested and help the company. One of my ex-bosses had the job of 'apprentice development' when he was serving his notice. Each morning the apprentices asked for him to 'show' them something and the 'winner' got him for the day. He also went to customers to see how they used and deprecated our kit and do a bit of sales and feedback. Sort of an excuse for jollies, but enjoyable and productive.

No, I do not expect the same for him, but there are lots of things he can do that help him and his employers.
It's not the point of the contract. European employment law stops that notion.
They can't keep him if they tried. The only deciding factors are what notice period he has and if he has any other clauses based on (a) particular team(s) appointing him in a certain position, in which case certain mechanisms might kick in.

But it won't come to that, Mclaren will offer Money/Norris/Vandoorne and get what they want.

Personally, I would like Vandoorne to go to TR and see if he can quickly establish himself as the number one. TR need 2 new drivers and they are struggling for options, so this puts Mclaren in pole position here, although Ocon might consider TR if Mclaren don't offer.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:57
Big Tea wrote:
mwillems wrote:

They can't keep him if they tried. The only deciding factors are what notice period he has and if he has any other clauses based on (a) particular team(s) appointing him in a certain position, in which case certain mechanisms might kick in.

But it won't come to that, Mclaren will offer Money/Norris/Vandoorne and get what they want.

Personally, I would like Vandoorne to go to TR and see if he can quickly establish himself as the number one. TR need 2 new drivers and they are struggling for options, so this puts Mclaren in pole position here, although Ocon might consider TR if Mclaren don't offer.
When you say they can not keep him, technically they can, he has committed to them and has no legitimate reason to leave until the set date. The teams are also signed up to the contracts recognition board, so if they do not release him, or if he has no genuine reason for leaving sooner no other team will or can employ him.

As you say though, the teams look down the road until they are in the same position and come to an agreement, and put it in the back of their note book for when they need it. I is not going to be a problem anywhere except the media. (Oh, and here :D )

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Big Tea wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 17:05
mwillems wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

When you say they can not keep him, technically they can, he has committed to them and has no legitimate reason to leave until the set date. The teams are also signed up to the contracts recognition board, so if they do not release him, or if he has no genuine reason for leaving sooner no other team will or can employ him.

As you say though, the teams look down the road until they are in the same position and come to an agreement, and put it in the back of their note book for when they need it. I is not going to be a problem anywhere except the media. (Oh, and here :D )
You know you are entitled to resign right?

Big Tea

Nonserviam85 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:12
Big Tea wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yes. but if your contract length is stipulated, you are not allowed to work for anyone else, as you have already been paid for that time.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Big Tea wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:16
Nonserviam85 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Yes. but if your contract length is stipulated, you are not allowed to work for anyone else, as you have already been paid for that time.
You can not claim that without knowing the contract details, but it is impossible any sane individual to agree to those T&Cs. Noone is getting paid upfront, you are getting a yearly salary. They are not athletes, they are engineers (employees). A gardening leave will exist which might be lengthy because of the nature of the company but it cannot exceed a certain period of time. But even in sports the opposition is allowed to buyout someone based on a buyout clause.

Big Tea

Nonserviam85 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:27
Big Tea wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:16
Nonserviam85 wrote:

You can not claim that without knowing the contract details, but it is impossible any sane individual to agree to those T&Cs. Noone is getting paid upfront, you are getting a yearly salary. They are not athletes, they are engineers (employees). A gardening leave will exist which might be lengthy because of the nature of the company but it cannot exceed a certain period of time. But even in sports the opposition is allowed to buyout someone based on a buyout clause.
Edited, post sounds bad the way I phrased it. :D unintentional

It must have some baring on the situation or there would not be the gardening leave problem.
If the company has been led to believe their knowledge is safe with you until a stated time, they are not going to allow you to go somewhere else and use that same knowledge to their determent during that period.
As you say, we do not know the details, so I will back out

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diffuser

I think it's just dumb to try and mess with him to stay if he wants to leave just because you didn't like a leak by McLaren about the signing. You don't have a position for him with RBR cause it's taken up by Horner? Then let him go. He's been a good employee and deserves to move up. That should be ENCOURAGED by his superiors, even if it is somewhere else(aka good things come to people of STR if they do go work).

It's also a poor example to all the other employees, that see themselves in him, that you're messing with him.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 19:48
I think it's just dumb to try and mess with him to stay if he wants to leave just because you didn't like a leak by McLaren about the signing. You don't have a position for him with RBR cause it's taken up by Horner? Then let him go. He's been a good employee and deserves to move up. That should be ENCOURAGED by his superiors, even if it is somewhere else(aka good things come to people of STR if they do go work).

It's also a poor example to all the other employees, that see themselves in him, that you're messing with him.
I think most of them go by the old saying 'what goes around comes around' with an eye on the future.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Gardening leave is well established practice in F1, even for example with Paddy Lowe moving to Williams which is ofc a Mercedes customer the gardening leave period was not dropped until it became part of the negotiations over Bottas.

If McLaren wants Key now as opposed to 6 months time then they need to be able to offer something Red Bull/Toro Rosso wants, F1 teams don't help rivals for nothing.

WaikeCU

diffuser wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 19:48

Sounds like a dilemma at Mclaren. They are not sure yet who they want to sacrifice in their pool of talent: Stoffel or Lando.

bauc

What if Lando is promoted to official test driver & back up for next year?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg