2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 15:53
Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 15:34
Big Tea wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 15:29

I think most people realise that Stoff has not had a fair crack of the whip though.
I wonder where he will go? is there an opening in Indy with Mclaren?
Indy would be a paint job only and a way to keep ALO connected to the brand while they haven't got a big name in F1. VAN is most likely turn up in FE or something, earning some cash with those hard tires.
RBR wanted Norris for STR but prefer Kvyat over Stoffel. Think that speaks volumes....
They prefer their own rejects over other team’s rejects I guess.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

I don't see where this debate gets. It's just that Stoffel isn't quick enough. Even Norris was faster than him in the few occasions he got behind the wheel.

diffuser

Symbolic of the sad state of were we're at. Nothing going on the 2018 car, even less is happening on the track and the great hope is leaving.

McG

diffuser wrote:
Jolle wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 15:29

I think most people realise that Stoff has not had a fair crack of the whip though.
I wonder where he will go? is there an opening in Indy with Mclaren?
Indy would be a paint job only and a way to keep ALO connected to the brand while they haven't got a big name in F1. VAN is most likely turn up in FE or something, earning some cash with those hard tires.
RBR wanted Norris for STR but prefer Kvyat over Stoffel. Think that speaks volumes....
Yes it speaks the volumes of cash The Torpedo brings and the market value in Russia for Red Bull.

Not saying Waffle is faster than The Torpedo but it's a no brainer.

Anyway... Dire race for McLaren today. So much for that lower drag setup.

How the hell can McLaren ever compete with the Mercedes and Ferrari B teams? Force India, Haas and Sauber are very strong. Renault will get stronger.
If Mercedes and Ferrari continue to have this much power in F1 (along with the weakness of Liberty), I don't see McLaren ever being winners again in he next 15-20 years. Hopefully Liberty get their finger out before then.
F1 is dead.

Jolle
Jolle

McG wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:43
diffuser wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Yes it speaks the volumes of cash The Torpedo brings and the market value in Russia for Red Bull.

How the hell can McLaren ever compete with the Mercedes and Ferrari B teams? Force India, Haas and Sauber are very strong. Renault will get stronger.
If Mercedes and Ferrari continue to have this much power in F1 (along with the weakness of Liberty), I don't see McLaren ever being winners again in he next 15-20 years. Hopefully Liberty get their finger out before then.
Why is Liberty responsible for the f-ups that McLaren made the past decade? Their budget has been bigger then the back half of the grid combined, they had works contracts, had a lineup of WC...

Big Tea

McG wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Jolle wrote:

I grit my teeth when I hear Mclaren mentioned in the same sentence as 'B team'. Be it as themselves or indicating who they are fighting.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Redragon

It is incredible to see Alonso fighting on the standings between 9 to 7th position with the potato he is driving this year.

ispano6

Only because Haas failed to capitalize on their performance early in the season. Also thanks to the Force India boys taking each other out.

Vandoorne never had a fair shot against Alonso. Alonso wouldn't allow it. I remember weekends Stoffel would be doing much better than Alonso on Fp1 and Fp2 only for FP3 and quali look the exact opposite in performance, as if the cars had been swapped.

It's natural for McLaren to put more effort for performance in the proven champion's car who can actually score points but it would be nice to see Stoffel match his fellow countrymen Thierry Boutsen's podiums and wins.

ispano6

Rated negatively for that previous comment, really?

proteus

Redragon wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 18:07
It is incredible to see Alonso fighting on the standings between 9 to 7th position with the potato he is driving this year.
He is not outperforming the car. He achieves what the car is capable to achieve.

He is only outperforming other drivers with possibly better cars. But yet, the car itself must be able to allow that as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

McG

Big Tea wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:48
McG wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I grit my teeth when I hear Mclaren mentioned in the same sentence as 'B team'. Be it as themselves or indicating who they are fighting.
It's true though. I don't need to explain why they have that label, but the label is valid. If you think it's exaggerated then just look at Red Bull's "sister" team in their words, who are obviously close to Red Bull but aren't as good as the teams closely related to Mercedes and Ferrari.
F1 is dead.

McG

Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:48
McG wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Why is Liberty responsible for the f-ups that McLaren made the past decade? Their budget has been bigger then the back half of the grid combined, they had works contracts, had a lineup of WC...
They aren't directly responsible for anything to do with McLaren, but they are responsible for F1 right now. And is there something wrong with F1. Yes.
Liberty are too scared or to flex some muscle and do something til after 2023.

And how you got that from my post and why I had to explain the obvious I don't know. You must not keep up with the goings on of Libery vs Mercedes and Ferrari
F1 is dead.

Squid
Squid

The results of the first 5 races are the only thing keeping McLaren so high on the standings. Since Monaco, they only scored 18 points. All of them by Alonso.

BrunoH
BrunoH

its a total fail, never thought it wold be worst than with honda.... its just unbelivable

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

BrunoH wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 21:21
its a total fail, never thought it wold be worst than with honda.... its just unbelivable
As we are well aware, Mclaren have long switched focus to 2019, I think fans should too as well. Complaining every race weekend about how bad the car is doesn't make a shred of difference, it's not going to drastically improve over the last 5 races. Zak has described the MCL33 as a very poor race car. Let's hope they get on the right path next year, with a car that will be a good baseline and respond well to updates.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.