2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
santos
santos

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Redragon

the EDGE wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 09:32
Redragon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 04:52
adrianjordan wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 02:56

Right, but Mclaren were a customer team only for Mercedes after they split and Merc started to focus on their own team. Honda...well it seems that relationship really wasn't very healthy at all. But Mclaren have a works-level deal with Renault, so perhaps they do get more access to the PU than we think. Especially if they're helping with the ERS etc...
Renault confirmed that Mclaren is just a costumer and will not have input on the development of the engine, as I already posted, here it is the link to the article (in spanish sorry) http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/opi ... b45a2.html
From what I understand Renault said it’s doubtful McLaren would have an input before the new engine regulations, given how far advanced they were into the current engine regulations.

They didn’t rule anything out or state it had anything to do with them being a customer
The article says they are costumer as Redbull until 2020 and contrast with the words by Boullier that they will be part of the development in 2019 based on the words of Abiteboul, but also says that it could change the relationship from 2020 to not just a costumer but that it is to be seen.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Redragon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 13:40
the EDGE wrote:
Redragon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 04:52

Renault confirmed that Mclaren is just a costumer and will not have input on the development of the engine, as I already posted, here it is the link to the article (in spanish sorry) http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/opi ... b45a2.html
From what I understand Renault said it’s doubtful McLaren would have an input before the new engine regulations, given how far advanced they were into the current engine regulations.

They didn’t rule anything out or state it had anything to do with them being a customer
The article says they are costumer as Redbull until 2020 and contrast with the words by Boullier that they will be part of the development in 2019 based on the words of Abiteboul, but also says that it could change the relationship from 2020 to not just a costumer but that it is to be seen.
I Disagree
McLaren hopes to influence Renault's engine in a similar way to Honda as their new relationship develops, but Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul told Motorsport.com the deal for 2018 came too late for McLaren to have any immediate say on engine design and packaging.

Abiteboul said Renault would be "open to their suggestion" but cautioned McLaren would probably have to wait until the final season of its initial three-year deal to hold any real sway.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ce+renault

Redragon

the EDGE wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 13:47
Redragon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 13:40
the EDGE wrote:

I Disagree
McLaren hopes to influence Renault's engine in a similar way to Honda as their new relationship develops, but Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul told Motorsport.com the deal for 2018 came too late for McLaren to have any immediate say on engine design and packaging.

Abiteboul said Renault would be "open to their suggestion" but cautioned McLaren would probably have to wait until the final season of its initial three-year deal to hold any real sway.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ce+renault
It is what Abiteboul says and it is quoted on that article, it is not gonna be other relationship than a costumer until at least 2020

Here there is a a english version of his words http://en.f1i.com/news/291666-abiteboul ... esign.html

the EDGE
the EDGE

Yes, exactly what I said

Redragon

the EDGE wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 14:07
Yes, exactly what I said
So I don't understand why you disagree to: that Mclaren will be just a costumer until 2020

bauc

Tomorrow @07.00 GMT /08.00 CET for the MCL33 launch

We will be launching our 2018 challenger at 07:00 GMT on Friday 23rd February.
Watch the reveal on mclaren.com/f1 and follow our official Twitter, YouTube , Instagram and Facebook channels for a day of launch content.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

the EDGE
the EDGE

Renault confirmed that Mclaren is just a costumer and will not have input on the development of the engine
That's a miss-representation of what was said, so i corrected it.

We know McLaren is a customer, and not a works team. They have the same status as Redbull. Renault has its own F1 Team, so all of their partners are customers. you implied that Renault said McLaren won't have a say as they are a customer. That is not true. Renault said McLaren MIGHT have a say but its to late in development to start making changes for them, like I quoted above

Redragon

the EDGE wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 14:24
Renault confirmed that Mclaren is just a costumer and will not have input on the development of the engine
That's a miss-representation of what was said, so i corrected it.

We know McLaren is a customer, and not a works team. They have the same status as Redbull. Renault has its own F1 Team, so all of their partners are customers. you implied that Renault said McLaren won't have a say as they are a customer. That is not true. Renault said McLaren MIGHT have a say but its to late in development to start making changes for them, like I quoted above
i said until 2020 based on the quote from Abiteboul

Here is my quote you disagree

"The article says they are costumer as Redbull until 2020 and contrast with the words by Boullier that they will be part of the development in 2019 based on the words of Abiteboul, but also says that it could change the relationship from 2020 to not just a costumer but that it is to be seen."

Thunder

Let's agree on "Customer until at least 2021 with ever increasing accepted Input over the Years"?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Redragon

Thunder wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 14:54
Let's agree on "Customer until at least 2021 with ever increasing accepted Input over the Years"?
Happy with that, but what it shows is Boullier is full of BS

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Thunder wrote:
Renault and McLaren have to build a relationship up over the first season. Which will probably have up's and downs as things progress. What Renault will likely be doing is pouring over the data from the Power Units in the McLaren's to see how McLaren are using them and then see if there is anything they can learn from it (which I guess there might be).

The only way I could see McLaren getting a bigger input into the Renault Power Unit in 2019 is if Honda comes good (a big if) which would most likely trigger Red Bull to announce a switch. But time will tell on that one.

zoroastar
zoroastar

Redragon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 15:08
Thunder wrote:
Happy with that, but what it shows is Boullier is full of BS
i think it just means that mclaren may hope to have influence on packaging in the short term. and i doubt if renault would turn that down if it happened to be a better solution, and feasible.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Good signs for the aero department? :mrgreen:

RonDennis
RonDennis