2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
carisi2k

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

santos wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 13:44
carisi2k wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 12:55
And yet if Red Bull Honda is wiping Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari's behinds in 2019 it will mean nothing. The 3 full time manufacturer teams will lose prestige for losing to a drink can manufacturer and a Japanese engine supplier. The very same thing happened when Red Bull Renault was wiping Mercedes and Ferrari's butts from 2010-13.
Did Ferrari, Mclaren, Williams lost prestige when Benetton won in 94 and 95? That's a nonsense.
Williams did in both those years. Ferrari's prestige was very low at that point and so was Mclarens rep after losing Honda. Honda lost prestige because Renault kicked their butt with an engine that had 2 fewer cylinders. Williams and Renault lost prestige in 1994 because the FW16 killed one of the greatest drivers of all time and was constantly beaten by a V8 Ford.

In 1995 Renault then upset Williams and supplied Benetton with a Renault engine in 1995 just to be associated with Schumacher who then left for Ferrari in 1996. Renault then left F1 at the end of 1997 which started Williams on it's current trajectory. So in Motorsport terms it does make a difference.

roon
roon

2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing / Honda

https://www.f1technical.net/news/21680

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/artic ... power-2019

HONDA POWER FROM 2019

The Team is proud to announce that it has reached an agreement with Honda Motor Co Ltd to race with the Japanese manufacturer’s power units for the 2019 and 2020 Formula 1 seasons.

Team Principal Christian Horner said: “This multi-year agreement with Honda signals the start of an exciting new phase in Aston Martin Red Bull Racing’s efforts to compete not just for grand prix wins but for what is always our goal – championship titles.

“We have always taken decisions such as this dispassionately and with only one criteria in mind – do we believe the outcome will allow us to compete at a higher level. After careful consideration and evaluation we are certain this partnership with Honda is the right direction for the Team.” He added: “We have been impressed by Honda’s commitment to F1, by the rapid steps they have made in recent times with our sister team Scuderia Toro Rosso, and by the scope of their ambition, which matches our own. We look forward to working with Honda in the coming years and to racing together in pursuit of F1’s biggest prizes.”

The Team will continue to race under the name of Aston Martin Red Bull Racing.

Takahiro Hachigo, President & Representative Director of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. said: “Having established a good relationship with Scuderia Toro Rosso, we have decided to extend our Formula 1 involvement to the other team in the Red Bull family, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, as from the 2019 season. Having two teams means we can access twice as much data as previously. We believe that working with both Toro Rosso and Red Bull Racing will allow us to get closer to our goal of winning races and championships, building two strong partnerships. Discussions proceeded very quickly, thanks to Red Bull’s open and respectful attitude towards Honda, leading to a deal that is fair and equitable for all parties.”

Our partnership with Honda deepens Red Bull’s collaboration with the Japanese manufacturer, which in 2018 entered into a partnership with Scuderia Toro Rosso. Red Bull and Honda have already enjoyed success together in motorsport on both four and two wheels.

“Honda’s alignment with both Red Bull Formula 1 teams provides enormous potential,” Christian Horner said. “Honda will have access to a wealth of data from both outfits, with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing leading the way, and the opportunities for faster, more effective and more competitive development are doubled.”

With this announcement, the 2018 season brings to an end the Team’s 12-year relationship with current power unit supplier Renault.

The Team first used Renault power in 2007 and during F1’s V8 engine era the partnership yielded 47 grand prix victories and eight world championship titles (four Drivers’ and four Constructors’) between 2010 and 2013, and a further ten grand prix victories since then.

Commenting on the team’s time with Renault, Christian Horner added: “We would like to thank Renault for the past 12 years, a period during which we experienced some incredible moments together. We have sometimes had our differences but Renault has always worked tirelessly and to the best of its ability to provide us with a competitive power unit. That is still the case today and we would like to thank the Renault team, and particularly the guys in our garage at every race, for their unstinting commitment and we look forward to ending our partnership on a high come the end of this season. Our focus for the rest of this year is still very much on delivering the best results possible in the 2018 Championship and we wish Renault Sport all the best for the future.”

bigblue

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing / Honda

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 22:51
NL_Fer wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:55
Ground Effect wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 16:02
What's this talk/rumour about Adrian Newey moving to Renault works team??? Surely that can't be true, silly season in full swing??
What can they offer? A nice office in Enstone and a hand in developing the next Clio V6?
It depends on what Newey wants. His son is racing now and a father and son LeMans win would be nice.
I would argue that RBR with ties to both Aton Martin and Honda would offer a better chance of getting into Le Mans than Renault.

Or maybe this is why Mclaren have bern talking about a possible Le Mans entry....trying to lure back Newey now Ron is gone.

Personally I think he'll stay with RBR. He seems happy there and it seems like the team appreciates him.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

djos

Newey would be mad to leave RedBull now that they have a true works engine partnership again.

Maclaren took all the pain and now RedBull stand to gain from the hard work from Honda. I won't be at all surprised if RedBull are even more competitive in 2019 than they are this year.
"In downforce we trust"

roon
roon

I wonder why STR using Ferrari engines in 2016 never led to a similar deal. Granted they were previous year engines, with STR being more of a customer than development partner. Would Maranello have ever have supplied RB an engine? In any circumstance. Or maybe they just weren't that impressed with the intel they were receiving about the Ferrari PU via STR.

Vasconia

roon wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 09:17
I wonder why STR using Ferrari engines in 2016 never led to a similar deal. Granted they were previous year engines, with STR being more of a customer than development partner. Would Maranello have ever have supplied RB an engine? In any circumstance. Or maybe they just weren't that impressed with the intel they were receiving about the Ferrari PU via STR.
Ferrari did not want to supply RB, like Mercedes. It wasn´t a goo idea to give their own PUs to such a strong rival.

ispano6

Cyril A: "I am really extremely excited by the performance improvement to come, in particular with Spec C which we will introduce later this season.

"At this point in time there is no reason to think that Red Bull will not be receiving it, although we are yet to confirm details of engine allocation plan, but I hope that we will make them regret."

So now he's saying RBR might or might not get Spec "C". Is that even legal? FIA will probably side with their French compatriots. What a sham. I would not be surprised to see Renault leapfrog RBR toward the end of the season as RBR begins to experience "unusual" reliability issues much the same way as they did to STR. This should serve well to motivate Honda even more.

Tanabe-san's remarks about the French dish compared to home style cooking is even more interesting, considering that the Japanese have mastered French cuisine and can do it better than the French themselves. Bring it on.

PhillipM
PhillipM

No, he's saying he's hoping when Red Bull get spec C they might regret going with Honda [because it's a decent step forward] - bad translation/interpretation from a journalist.

muramasa
muramasa

ispano6 wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:02
Tanabe-san's remarks about the French dish compared to home style cooking is even more interesting, considering that the Japanese have mastered French cuisine and can do it better than the French themselves. Bring it on.
Just in case, it was French cuisine as McLaren and country side home stew as STR, and that was by Yamamoto in Sept 2017 on the announcement of STR-Honda deal, not Tanabe.
http://www.honda.co.jp/F1/race2017/yamamoto-toro-rosso/

I dont know how this remark was received generally, but you should not take this analogy in the same framework/context of European dialectics, humor etc, esp British humor. It's not strong innuendo or sarcasm even at all. For Japanese in general, "French Cuisine" does not mean those casual home cooking of France like gratin or rata-something etc, but tends to be specifically about those expensive full course in high class restaurants/hotels. So, saying McLaren as french cuisine is nothing but praise, and Honda was not good enough for it (menu being too expensive, dont have clothes, dont know the manner, etc), that's the point. There is an implication that it's too formal and stiff, not casual and flexible and fun, but that's it. I actually wonder if country side home stew for STR would be more offensive lol, i get his point tho. Also note that Yamamoto is a bit of character, in good way, he's pretty straightforward and explicit, but sometimes he's funny.

loner

PhillipM wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 17:14
No, he's saying he's hoping when Red Bull get spec C they might regret going with Honda [because it's a decent step forward] - bad translation/interpretation from a journalist.
there is no magic in this PU .. there are laws of physics .. RBR know how Renault PU function and know how Honda PU function and they choose the Honda bath surely they know something we don't .. both companies confirmed another upgrade to their PU.
therefor i highly doubt RBR gonna regret .. Renault had 2014 to 2018 to deliver their promises thats 5 seasons .. it'd be naive to trust them when nothing left but 2 years in the current formula.
para bellum.

iotar__

loner wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 18:06
PhillipM wrote:
there is no magic in this PU .. there are laws of physics .. RBR know how Renault PU function and know how Honda PU function and they choose the Honda bath surely they know something we don't .. both companies confirmed another upgrade to their PU.
therefor i highly doubt RBR gonna regret .. Renault had 2014 to 2018 to deliver their promises thats 5 seasons .. it'd be naive to trust them when nothing left but 2 years in the current formula.
- Which laws of physics or laws of magic can help you chose between the engines that don't yet exist :wink: ? Choice itself is very questionable.
- Hint: Honda switch was decided when Toro Rosso got their engines. The rest was headlines seeking, big commodity in a cheap marketing exercise called F1.
- Can't wait for the outrage about Ferrari-Haas like relationship but on the much bigger scale (already happening).

Zynerji

iotar__ wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 18:34
loner wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 18:06
PhillipM wrote:
- Which laws of physics or laws of magic can help you chose between the engines that don't yet exist :wink: ? Choice itself is very questionable.
- Hint: Honda switch was decided when Toro Rosso got their engines. The rest was headlines seeking, big commodity in a cheap marketing exercise called F1.
- Can't wait for the outrage about Ferrari-Haas like relationship but on the much bigger scale (already happening).
What Ferrari-Haas outrage?

Even Toto has said it is a brilliant way to take advantage of the rules, and he has offered similar to the Merc customer teams.

If anything, I'd rather see MORE arrangements like that, as it would only tighten the field, and add excitement beyond the top 6 places being pretty much set in stone.

ispano6

muramasa wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 17:33
ispano6 wrote:
Just in case, it was French cuisine as McLaren and country side home stew as STR, and that was by Yamamoto in Sept 2017 on the announcement of STR-Honda deal, not Tanabe.
http://www.honda.co.jp/F1/race2017/yamamoto-toro-rosso/

I dont know how this remark was received generally, but you should not take this analogy in the same framework/context of European dialectics, humor etc, esp British humor. It's not strong innuendo or sarcasm even at all. For Japanese in general, "French Cuisine" does not mean those casual home cooking of France like gratin or rata-something etc, but tends to be specifically about those expensive full course in high class restaurants/hotels. So, saying McLaren as french cuisine is nothing but praise, and Honda was not good enough for it (menu being too expensive, dont have clothes, dont know the manner, etc), that's the point. There is an implication that it's too formal and stiff, not casual and flexible and fun, but that's it. I actually wonder if country side home stew for STR would be more offensive lol, i get his point tho. Also note that Yamamoto is a bit of character, in good way, he's pretty straightforward and explicit, but sometimes he's funny.
That's right, it was Yamamoto. I thought it amusing he would bring up French cuisine because the only thing French about McLaren then was EB, unless he was referring to McLaren's switch to Renault. It's clever because you can't tell if it's a compliment or a knock on the French and their ways 😏

carisi2k

ispano6 wrote:

So now he's saying RBR might or might not get Spec "C". Is that even legal? FIA will probably side with their French compatriots. What a sham. I would not be surprised to see Renault leapfrog RBR toward the end of the season as RBR begins to experience "unusual" reliability issues much the same way as they did to STR. This should serve well to motivate Honda even more.
I think you will find those reliability issues are already happening. Red Bull has already had reliability issues in Bahrain, China and Monaco and that is only on Daniel's car. What more could Renault do to already make Red Bulls life more difficult?