2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

subcritical71 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 22:09
siskue2005 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 21:54
In my opinion Leclerc will lose his reputation, as he will be soundly beaten by Vettel
I dont think he is ready to be leading a championship winning team.
career suicide for him....he should have waited atleast till 2020 before joining this team. He will critically evaluated , it is not as easy as going up against Erricson...we are talking about a 4x WDC
Sadly, I agree with your sentiment. Unless he has had a couple of good coaches to tell him what to expect and how to handle certain situations, I fear he will quickly find out that you spend the majority of your time at Ferrari doing non-driving things which are just begging to trip you up. The first being how to deal with the Italian press.
I don't think he is a poor driver, I think he is an unproven driver. Just as important as his car skills though, he is going into a political cauldron which would be hard for a veteran driver to handle without effect.

He could fly or crash on a handful of races.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

ray=out wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 22:10
If nothing else, Ferrari need a wingman for Vettel, so it's probably better to trade an Iceman for a Goose.
Just to be clear Goose was not a wingman, he was a RIO.
197 104 103 7

WaikeCU

Phil wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 17:22
A sad day for Kimi fans, but honestly, it's going to be epic watching Leclerc go up against Vettel next year. Sebastian better watch out, I think Leclerc could be an extremely tough competitor and I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat Vettel (just a hunch on my part).
Could just be a repeat of 2007 Mclaren :roll:

Phil

LM10 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 19:21
Wouldn’t you be surprised to see Leclerc beat Hamilton as well? :)
I usually don't respond to baits like these, but since my answer will probably make you sleep better, yes, I think Leclerc would give any driver on the grid a hard time. I may be wrong though and Leclerc might not be as good as I think he is.

PS: I gotta say, I'm a bit of a Leclerc fan though. He might make me a Ferrari supporter one day, who knows.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

roon
roon

siskue2005

i may be wrong, but i have never seen any other team use camera cooling bags before

what could be its need really? other than hiding something which the camera might pick up?

hollus

Ferrari claim using it because the camera could be damaged by heat from the engine bay.
And the FIA doesn't like it because... well, just becuase!
https://www.f1supernews.com/2018/09/08/ ... on-camera/
Rivals, not enemies.

Big Tea

siskue2005 wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 09:30
what could be its need really? other than hiding something which the camera might pick up?
Bright yellow? right in the eye line?
I still think it is distraction. From what I have no idea :D
If it does obscure the camera, so much the better for them. Would the team be at all concerned if the camera did overheat and fail? I think it would be beneficial to them for FIA not to have driver eye replays on hand.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

basti313
basti313

What keeps them from covering the camera with...a cover in the future? As far as I can see it, this is ok with the rules once the car is in the pits. And on what rule could the FIA ban the ice?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Zynerji

basti313 wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 16:24
What keeps them from covering the camera with...a cover in the future? As far as I can see it, this is ok with the rules once the car is in the pits. And on what rule could the FIA ban the ice?
Whatever they want...

The FIA has a history of strong arming their views. Sometimes, I think the FIA is the only real problem that F1 has...

subcritical71

basti313 wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 16:24
I believe this rule in the sporting regulations, but they obstruct the car at various times anyway 'during the event'.

Event = "Event means any event entered into the FIA Formula One Championship Calendar for any year commencing at the scheduled time for scrutineering and sporting checks and including all practice and the race itself and ending at the later of the time for the lodging of a protest under the terms of the Code and the time when a technical or sporting certification has been carried out under the terms of the Code.";

21.4 During the entire Event, no screen, cover or other obstruction which in any way obscures any part of a car will be allowed at any time in the paddock, garages, pit lane or grid, unless it is clear any such covers are needed solely for mechanical reasons, which could, for example, include protecting against fire.
In addition to the above the following are specifically not permitted :
a) Engine, gearbox or radiator covers whilst engines are being changed or moved around the garage.
b) Covers over spare wings when they are on a stand in the pit lane not being used.
c) Parts such as (but not limited to) spare floors, fuel rigs or tool trolleys may not be used as an obstruction.
The following are permitted :
d) Covers which are placed over damaged cars or components.
e) A transparent tool tray, no more than 50mm deep, placed on top of the rear wing.
f) Warming or heat retaining covers for the engine and gearbox on the grid.
g) A rear wing cover designed specifically to protect a mechanic starting the car from fire.
h) Tyre heating blankets.
i) Covers over the tyre manufacturer’s code numbers (not the FIA bar code numbers).
j) A cover over the car in the parc fermé overnight.
k) A cover over the car in the pit lane or grid if it is raining.

Red Rock Mutley

It's more usual to deal with those sort of issues by way of an instruction. Communication of instructions are dealt with under section 16

Zynerji

Just need to move the screen off the wheel, and move it to a HUD on the inside of the helmet visor.

Or VR goggles while in the pits...

Jackles-UK

That would be neither practical or safe. Dozens of things constantly popping up in the drivers field of vision is only going to cause a distraction. Would be far easier just to fit a screen with a really narrow visibility field - visible at the drivers eye level but obscured or totally undistinguishable from the camera on top of the roll hoop (think of the plasma screens from a few years ago where you had to stand basically right in front of them to see properly!).

Zynerji

Jackles-UK wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 03:38
That would be neither practical or safe. Dozens of things constantly popping up in the drivers field of vision is only going to cause a distraction. Would be far easier just to fit a screen with a really narrow visibility field - visible at the drivers eye level but obscured or totally undistinguishable from the camera on top of the roll hoop (think of the plasma screens from a few years ago where you had to stand basically right in front of them to see properly!).
Or, just unplug the roll hoop camera power cable in the garage.