General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jesa7271
jesa7271

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

nothing we already knew except the fuel.

Was fehlt noch?

Marko: In Monza bekommen wir ein Motoren-Upgrade, in Russland neuen Sprit. Dann sollten wir vom Motor her aufgeschlossen haben. Vom Auto kommt auch noch einiges. Warten Sie mal ab.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... erstappen/

gandharva

Wouter wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 14:00
LMVG_2 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:29

You're wrong concerning Illien/Ilmor, so is the Autobild story for that matter. They have been working with Honda since early 2017 and still are.
Could you tell me your sources @LMVG? Do you have a link where I can read that :
Illien/Ilmor have been working with Honda since early 2017 and still are working together?
Thanks in advance.
There are no official sources for 2019 beside one quote of Marko, but Ilmor was working with Honda (combustion engine R&D) in 2017 and 2018. As Illien had and has very good relationship with Honda (Indycar) and RBR, it's pretty safe to assume his company is still somehow involved. Latest official statement from Marko was January 19 where he said that the "engagemant of Ilmore has been cut back." -> My summary: Ilmore still involved but not by much.

Pyrone89

jesa7271 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 15:29
nothing we already knew except the fuel.

Was fehlt noch?

Marko: In Monza bekommen wir ein Motoren-Upgrade, in Russland neuen Sprit. Dann sollten wir vom Motor her aufgeschlossen haben. Vom Auto kommt auch noch einiges. Warten Sie mal ab.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... erstappen/
If I translate this right:
- New PU in Monza, spec 4
- New Esso lubricants in Sochi
- Still new stuff coming for the car (or is it to be interpreted as ‘only small stuff coming’?)

Wonder how Esso compares with Shell and Petronas and BP. I wonder which of them brings more fuel upgrades and performance than the others. Good though that it is now a full works relation between all three (RB, Honda, Esso) as you need that these days to challenge Mercedes and Ferrari.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

MtthsMlw

He's saying there is still a lot coming to the car and 'Just wait and see'

Pyrone89

MtthsMlw wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 18:00
He's saying there is still a lot coming to the car and 'Just wait and see'
Thx.

In other news, any pictures of a new ‘altar’ in the Honda HQ lobby after the win +3rd place?

Ps: for those who dont know the reference, Honda made some kind of hommage to the Austria win in their lobby.

JordanMugen

Pyrone89 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 16:04
If I translate this right:
- New PU in Monza, spec 4
- New Esso lubricants in Sochi
- Still new stuff coming for the car (or is it to be interpreted as ‘only small stuff coming’?)
Great news! =D>

McMika98
McMika98

All these Illen rumours always for some strange coincidence occur amwhen Honda have good results. If they had not won the two races, then all these folks would be quiet and want nothing to do with Honda and blame their eastern mindset. I lost it when the blabbing notebooker Ted credited him for the recent upturn of Honda performance. I for one am glad that we have paddock pass instead of the gutter notebook.

In other news, in case this was nto obvious, confirmation below of Renaults higher peak power . Honda is behind like it or not but not by much.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ssion=true

Pyrone89

McMika98 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 18:41
All these Illen rumours always for some strange coincidence occur amwhen Honda have good results. If they had not won the two races, then all these folks would be quiet and want nothing to do with Honda and blame their eastern mindset. I lost it when the blabbing notebooker Ted credited him for the recent upturn of Honda performance. I for one am glad that we have paddock pass instead of the gutter notebook.

In other news, in case this was nto obvious, confirmation below of Renaults higher peak power . Honda is behind like it or not but not by much.

I fully belief Renault have more peak power than Honda and also a better quali trim. Just like Ferrari seems to be better than Mercedes in these areas. Honda (vs Renault) and Mercedes (vs Ferrari) however seem better in racepace and reliability. Then there is also the fuel efficiency, engine weight, coolimg requirements, size of the engine etc. It is not just about peak power.

gokarter
gokarter

25bhp reported. pure speculation. honda never claimed to gain 25bhp in spec4 , all this is pure speculation from this site. and lets be honest. have renault been ever honest with their bhp figures. NO. they are just embarrassed that they have fallen below honda and now trying to gain reputation in the public eyes by exaggerating figures.

etusch

gokarter wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 19:39

25bhp reported. pure speculation. honda never claimed to gain 25bhp in spec4 , all this is pure speculation from this site. and lets be honest. have renault been ever honest with their bhp figures. NO. they are just embarrassed that they have fallen below honda and now trying to gain reputation in the public eyes by exaggerating figures.
Well lets accept it is just 10 hp. Tanabe san , I remember, said it is a small turbo update and a few hp gain over all power about spec 3 and everything is obvious. What makes me excited about spec 4 is this spec 3 gain. Honda didn't declare numbers but spec 4 is biggest update by now for this year. This is enough to expect that better performance is coming

GhostF1
GhostF1

Pyrone89 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 19:26
McMika98 wrote:

I fully belief Renault have more peak power than Honda and also a better quali trim. Just like Ferrari seems to be better than Mercedes in these areas. Honda (vs Renault) and Mercedes (vs Ferrari) however seem better in racepace and reliability. Then there is also the fuel efficiency, engine weight, coolimg requirements, size of the engine etc. It is not just about peak power.
This. I still don't get why the whole "Renault makes more peak power" thing is being pushed so much as a negative on Honda, I think everyone has admitted that is potentially true. If you really want to get into it, they also say they "can't reproduce the result all the time". For all we know, and with Renault's track record of over promising and under-delivering, they can only do that on the dyno under controlled conditions.

I'll say this again, Renault could have 2000hp in quali trim, in perfect conditions, but what difference does it make with the still omnipresent reliability issues they've shown this year and the fact that in race trim, it's detuned to the point it becomes the least powerful of the field.. They've been in this game just as long as Merc and Ferrari and are still noticeably behind. Not to mention Renault's vendetta to portray themselves above Honda at every waking moment.
Sure they make a little more peak power for 15 minutes every 2 weeks. What has that achieved for them though? As far as I can tell, it's only been useful in a game of top trumps.

Hino
Hino

LMVG_2
LMVG_2

Singabule wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 02:38
LMVG_2 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:29
Alexf1 wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 15:06
Maybe Honda only takes on outside companies/people for specific projects/problems.
So if Illien was taken on only for helping them to solve the spec 3 oscillation problem his job is now done cause Marko said it was taken care of. (Whether it was Illien's idea or Honda that solved it).
And my guess is that Honda has learned enough from AVL so they can do it on their own now like Ferrari.
You're wrong concerning Illien/Ilmor, so is the Autobild story for that matter. They have been working with Honda since early 2017 and still are.
'that' Illen Who help Renault PU in the past? Come on what can u done with just more than 50 staff in Illen consulting? The 6 stroke engine he developed also flawed, and instead of focusing on combustion, his tools only can develop simple pressurized vessel like 2nd expansion cylinder. He also never mentioned officially by honda, different than IHI, let alone Mahle level. Just enough with his rumor as it sounds taking Credit for what Honda done so far, same as Aston and its a crap!
Clearly quite a lot. For example an Ilmor engine won the indy 500 a few months ago. He hasn't taken credit for anything as he has barely spoken about it but within F1 it is fairly well known. It has been kept quiet for a reason. That reason being that it makes Honda look bad either way. Either the engine improves and people unfairly give 100% of the credit to Illien or the engine doesn't improve and Honda continue to ruin their brand image in F1. The fact that the partnership with Renault was more public is one of the reasons why it didn't work.

LMVG_2
LMVG_2

McMika98 wrote:

That is the exact reason why the partnership has been kept quiet. If the engine improves people unfairly attribute 100% of the credit to Illien, if it doesn't Honda continue to damage their brand in F1.

Wouter

LMVG_2 wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 09:11

Clearly quite a lot. For example an Ilmor engine won the indy 500 a few months ago. He hasn't taken credit for anything as he has barely spoken about it but within F1 it is fairly well known. It has been kept quiet for a reason. That reason being that it makes Honda look bad either way. Either the engine improves and people unfairly give 100% of the credit to Illien or the engine doesn't improve and Honda continue to ruin their brand image in F1. The fact that the partnership with Renault was more public is one of the reasons why it didn't work.
I asked you two times the same question.
Why don't I get an answer from you?

Could you tell me your sources @LMVG? Do you have a link where I can read that :
Illien/Ilmor have been working with Honda since early 2017 and still are working together?
Thanks in advance.
The Power of Dreams!