General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JordanMugen

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 19:35
The last Honda F1 team was stationed in the UK.
I know! While that team has great facilities and capabilities, I don't like the chances of Honda being able to buy that back, depending on whether Ineos is keen to sell. :?:

Honda seem to have good synergies with Italy too, with their relationship with the likes of JAS Motorsport. Perhaps Prema Racing could be contracted to run the Honda F1 cars that are built in Japan?

Indeed, perhaps French constructor Oreca could be contracted to build the Honda F1 chassis, as they seem to have done a great job with the LMDh car (albeit a HPD rather than HRC project)? But the most "Honda way" to do it, would be attempt to do the chassis in-house (while rotating junior engineers through the F1 program for learning purposes).

Of course, a relationship with top constructor Red Bull Racing would give the best chance of short-term success from 2026-on but this seems unlikely, and besides the point to Honda entering as a full constructor comparable to Ferrari, Alpine or Mercedes.

aleshondas
aleshondas

What its next for Honda now.... leave sport or what???

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

aleshondas wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 21:16
What its next for Honda now.... leave sport or what???
Mclaren or the Panthera Asia F1 team?

Jambier

They are registered for 2026…

Williams could be a good option, or McLaren again

aleshondas
aleshondas

I think redbull will beeg Honda to come back

PlatinumZealot

Honda is without a chassis for 2026! Shocking to say the least. Will Alfa Tauri take up that mantle? I think so. The other team could be Williams or even Mclaren again!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 04:21
Honda is without a chassis for 2026! Shocking to say the least. Will Alfa Tauri take up that mantle? I think so. The other team could be Williams or even Mclaren again!
I think that AT will take up Honda again. Agreed

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Alpha Tauri? 100% not happening.

It was already announced that Red Bull Ford would power Red Bull AND alpha Tauri and Helmut Marko said Alpha Tauri is not for sale.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 04:25
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think that AT will take up Honda again. Agreed
It would give Red Bull a harder time if they only have 1 team using the power unit. For many many reasons including the aforementioned and yesterday's announcement, Alpha Tauri will be using the Red Bull Ford powertrain.

hkbruin
hkbruin

It will most likely be in collaboration with Andretti F1 with a Cadillac/GM badge. The synergies between them in IndyCar and the upcoming Ultium-based Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX EV SUV’s make it a natural fit. In order for Andretti to survive in F1 they will need to go with a proven manufacturer and currently the Honda PU is the crown jewel of the field. Now it might be too soon to call who produces the best PU in 2026 but I’m thinking Honda will deliver.

That being said, I hope a more established team also signs up with them. Perhaps Williams? Dorilton is US- based so they might also join with them?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

hkbruin wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 05:28
It will most likely be in collaboration with Andretti F1 with a Cadillac/GM badge. The synergies between them in IndyCar and the upcoming Ultium-based Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX EV SUV’s make it a natural fit. In order for Andretti to survive in F1 they will need to go with a proven manufacturer and currently the Honda PU is the crown jewel of the field. Now it might be too soon to call who produces the best PU in 2026 but I’m thinking Honda will deliver.

That being said, I hope a more established team also signs up with them. Perhaps Williams? Dorilton is US- based so they might also join with them?
Andretti is working with Alpine. Those negotiations have begun long ago.

I cannot fathom why anyone thinks GM and Honda will share an F1 program. Just abandon this thinking. Never ever going to happen. No.

I recently saw a Japanese tweet where Honda man said the 2026 enrollment was merely a research exercise.

Are people here familiar with the story of the RA109? Honda continued to develop a shadow F1 car at the DOME windtunnel in Tokichi well after officially announcing their pull out during the financial crisis in 2008.
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... -revealed/

Honda does Honda things. It doesn't have to make sense to us and their registration for '26 doesn't actually mean they are actually interested. Honda seem to do these things for R&D and employee training purposes.

etusch

May be Andrettti can enter with Honda. Other than that I can not imagine any good option. Maybe Williams if they change their approach of building cars. Haas is completely useless if you want be competitive really

PlatinumZealot

hkbruin wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 05:28

It could work... Honda and GM have made cars together in the past....

So Alfa Tauri is out

Erm... so.. That leaves McLaren... Williams.

McLaren is the most likely... bur Zack Brown likes simplicity. Having Honda means accomodating the Japanese in a housing standpoint, a meeting time standpoint and the language barrier standpoint.

Williams will want that gearbox support from Mercedes... They can make their own gearbox and did do this up to 2021 I think? So that is where the decision would lie.

Haas will not drop the Ferrari support for anyting. Honda doesn't make Chassis parts and Haas need that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 16:03

Williams will want that gearbox support from Mercedes... They can make their own gearbox and did do this up to 2021 I think? So that is where the decision would lie.
Honda have the resource to make a gearbox. Certainly between Williams and Honda, there is the financing and the know-how to make an F1-grade gearbox.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 16:03

It could work... Honda and GM have made cars together in the past....
Why do people keep saying this? Never going to happen. Never, ever. Honda is not going to have an engine rebadged as a Cadillac.

If you ask me, Andretti should have ditched Renault and approached Honda but perhaps he did not desire the culture mismatch.