McLarens new aero package

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Apart from the new front wing which is now more sharply curved, the rear wing has also changed compared to Barcelona GP. It is now completely horizontal in the center, while only being curved on the outer edges, while earlier it was one nice curve downwards.

Here's how it looked in Barcelona:

Here's the Paul Ricard version:

Jason

Wow, the endplate on top sure is long, but why is it curved like that now? The rear wing bottom section looks flat.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

zac510
zac510

Hard to tell but it looks like twin element too (as opposed to triple).

Raised outer edges of the element mimic the rear wing style of recent years.

Overall surface area has increased too?

mep

It's visible that they are searching for more downforce
especially at front.
Where this ugly looking wing closes a gab compared to the old one
to get more frontal wing area.
Same thing for rear wing: less curvy more frontal area
:arrow: more drag but more downforce
This may be important for the coming high downforce tracks.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Just realised how narrow the McLaren front wing is!!

As Jason pointed out - look at the width of those endplates (horizontal bits)0!

But I suppose with a camberline like that immediately inboard of the endplate, there will be larger trailing vortices created, and this is mclaren trying to reduce them.

Normally a 2 element front wing should generate less drag than a 3 element front wing. They've also got the 1st plane of the front wing at a much greater AoA to the airstream than every other team.

Steven
Owner

Well we're talking about Monaco configuration here, it's possible that these wings are only to be used there and not at any other event. Monaco is really all about downforce, the more you can get the better.

@Kilcoo: if a 3 element wing causes more drag, how come some teams use 3 plates anyway?

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Tomba wrote:@Kilcoo: if a 3 element wing causes more drag, how come some teams use 3 plates anyway?
Gives more downforce.

Exact same philosophy as decision on flap setup for an aircraft design. More lift (downforce here) needed = more flap elements.

m3_lover

What is the black line on the top of the Monaco Rear Wing? On the barcelona picture, the line ecompasses the whole top rear wing.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

I think that is removable counterflap. Enables mechanics to rip it off during pitstop instead of spending more time in lowering wing angle.

sebbe
sebbe

Why is everybody at McLaren Technology Center working on the aerodynamics when they should be working on SUSPENSION?
Does anybody agree with me?, the general perception is that McLaren's weakness is the engine.
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

m3_lover

Is it to decrease downforce and enable more top end speed?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

m3_lover wrote:What is the black line on the top of the Monaco Rear Wing? On the barcelona picture, the line ecompasses the whole top rear wing.
Gurney Flap.
http://www.allamericanracers.com/gurney_flap.html

mini696

sebbe wrote:Why is everybody at McLaren Technology Center working on the aerodynamics when they should be working on SUSPENSION?
Does anybody agree with me?, the general perception is that McLaren's weakness is the engine.
McLaren has been one of the more reliable teams this year. Their engine is not the problem.

manchild wrote:I think that is removable counterflap. Enables mechanics to rip it off during pitstop instead of spending more time in lowering wing angle.
I thought that (removeable gurney flaps) was now illegal in F1.

dcdabest
dcdabest

I have never heard that gurney flaps are illegal. But I think it is a good idea to ban them since that would reduce the aerodynamic efficiency of the cars (quite considerably?) while making it very difficult for teams to cheat.
Im thinking of all the li'l starving Africans...

zac510
zac510

dcdabest wrote:I have never heard that gurney flaps are illegal. But I think it is a good idea to ban them since that would reduce the aerodynamic efficiency of the cars (quite considerably?) while making it very difficult for teams to cheat.
There is no reason to ban the gurney flaps. It would not decrease the efficiency 'quite considerably'. It would only stop teams from having varied setup options on their vehicle.

How would reducing the efficiency make it difficult for them to cheat?