Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GM7

Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

What do you want to see in 2021 ? Personally i like the RedBull Gran Turismo concept and the new indycar aero kit. I also like the actual Formula E car design, i think it could look awesome on a Formula one car, a little photoshop to show you what i mean.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

none of either 3. i really don't like the idea of video game cars. going completely the wrong way.

f1 cars are great because they follow an aerodynamic purpose, not a purpose of some fantasyfest.

the big brake on f1 should be a halt to artificial elements in the sport. i hated DRS from the beginning,
and i've also hated 'turbo boost' when it came around. i

i'd take a combo of ground effects, f-duct, s-duct, blown diffusers, double diffusers, active aerodynamics, active/fric suspension,
oil burning, flexy wings and blown axles over the mere idea of 'videogame f1 cars' any time of the day, year, or eternity.

the above pic is fun and all, but its not a F1 car, it's Le Mans LMP1 Prototype, not F1 car in the slightest.
the Formula E car is fine for Formula E, just leave it there, and the indy car is fine for indy - leave it there.

i'm not saying f1 needs to stay suffocatingly strict to its current design, but it's wrong to turn it into a computer fantasy le mans prototype.

there's a very old mercedes f1 racing car that has a version with wheel aerodynamic wheel covers. it looks smooth and gorgeous, but it's immediately not a f1 car anymore.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 15 Jan 2018, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer
marmer

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

That red bull looks more like future Lmp1 to me.

The red one is ok. Not keen on the forumla e design.

Would much prefer something like this Image

Vanja #66

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 22:36
there's a very old mercedes f1 racing car that has a version with wheel aerodynamic wheel covers. it looks smooth and gorgeous, but it's immediately not a f1 car anymore.

This?

Having had Mr Brawn for quite a while in F1, I think we can trust him with technical stuff. Video game reference here is most likely the level of awe they want those cars to inspire, and probably to further steer away from road cars. F1 cars today have nothing in common with road cars, but they look pretty much the same for quite some time now, it's just the level of complexity that has changed. You can almost say that we've had same concept of cars (and not just F1) for 30 or so years, with changes to wing and diffuser size and complexity, but not location or overall concept. Rules aren't helping with it and that's were Brawn can make a difference. I'd like to see completely active aero on cars that completely transform their shape from one corner to the next. That'd be something new and radical, with teams going towards pure droplet shape on straights in a number of years. And at the moment, I can only see this coming in a video game...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GM7

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 22:59
Manoah2u wrote:
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/ ... 2011-2.jpg

This?

Having had Mr Brawn for quite a while in F1, I think we can trust him with technical stuff. Video game reference here is most likely the level of awe they want those cars to inspire, and probably to further steer away from road cars. F1 cars today have nothing in common with road cars, but they look pretty much the same for quite some time now, it's just the level of complexity that has changed. You can almost say that we've had same concept of cars (and not just F1) for 30 or so years, with changes to wing and diffuser size and complexity, but not location or overall concept. Rules aren't helping with it and that's were Brawn can make a difference. I'd like to see completely active aero on cars that completely transform their shape from one corner to the next. That'd be something new and radical, with teams going towards pure droplet shape on straights in a number of years. And at the moment, I can only see this coming in a video game...
100% agree !

I'm just tired to see the same shape since 30 years ! Look at how the cars have changed between 1950 and 1990. The concepts i shared are not exactly what i'm looking for but they are interesting because they are differents.
I hate the fact that every car will be the same unless there is a reglementation change, for example the ban of the shark fin...come on that was the only element different from a car to the other and it was a perfect thing to stick a big number and a driver name this year but it's look like the FIA prefer to have exactly the same engine cover for every one.

What i really want for 2021 it's a low drag aero concept with a big diffusor, more liberty around the nose aero concept. A good looking solution to the halo and more liberty to inteligent concepts like the blown difusor and active suspensions. Last but not least, lighter cars...
I'm fully confident about what Ross Brawn will do with the 2021 regulation.

strad

.Hmmmmm.. Thought I had posted this.
Check out the Renault......and it's driver
Brawn thinks form over function???
Still reeling from the thought that this year cars will sport the controversial Halo device, F1 fans should expect further shocks in the coming years as the cars become even more futuristic, according to the sport's technical boss, Ross Brawn.

"We've had designers working on the aesthetics of the cars for some time now," Brawn told Sky Sports, "and the aesthetics of the cars are a really important thing.
Renault

"I think we've done some great work on how you integrate the Halo, for instance," he continued, "because it looks like it's just been stuck on the car, which it quite literally has.

"It's obvious, but when you talk to the fans, they say the cars have got to look great," he claims. "They've almost got to look like derivatives of video games and evolve in a way where the video games take their key from Formula One, not the other way round."

"I think they'll look sensational," he enthused. “We're going to have some great-looking cars in the future, that's a really important thing for us."

While many fans might indeed want "great looking" cars, it is unclear whether they want to see the sport head down the Tron route, many left cold by the future as envisioned by Renault (pictured) and others.

The regulations introduced in 2017 were meant to make the cars look better, more aggressive, and while the success of that particular intention is up to the individual it did very little to improve the racing, indeed, as well-documented, overtaking was down 50% on 2016.

What fans really want is great racing, drivers being able to stalk their prey, dice and pounce when the time is right.

However, much like Zak Brown's reliance on McLaren's radical look for its garage this year, Ross Brawn and Liberty very much appear to be about the look of the sport, classic style over substance.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

OO7
OO7

I never thought the look of the cars was much of an issue, as in having to be styled like a futuristic video game vehicle. I've had a problem with some of the fundamental dimensions of the cars e.g 2016 skinny and tall rear wings, extremely wide front wings, funny nose, abrupt transition from monocoque to nose ..............

djos

marmer wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 22:38
That red bull looks more like future Lmp1 to me.

The red one is ok. Not keen on the forumla e design.

Would much prefer something like this Image
Still my favorite period in F1 from a looks pov.
Last edited by djos on 16 Jan 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Thunder

I always liked the McLaren MP4-X and the Red Bull Car Vision of F1's Future:
http://cars.mclaren.com/featured-articles/mp4-x.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

Looks terrible to me !!!

Maybe Formula E

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:
f1 cars are great because they follow an aerodynamic purpose, not a purpose of some fantasyfest.
False, it´s not aero what model F1 cars, it´s the rulebook, and the rulebook has changed dramatically during the 68 seasons of F1, so I don´t see any reason to stick with current design

With that philosophy current F1 car should be like a caterham, but if you like the 80´s it´s exactly because F1 evolve and at some point they allowed a new route with aerodinamycs

IMHO it´s time for a new change, evolve or die.

marmer
marmer

Something very smooth and sleek to cut threw the air would be nice would help with eco side lol). With active aero for when the corners come up.
Could well be time in the next ten years to say F1 is not open cockpit and open wheel just a single seater centrally mounted.
As long as F1 are still the fastest cars going will be fine for me. And eventually end up with this Image

AJI
AJI

1989 was sensational. Simplistic and gladiatorial.

CriXus
CriXus

Closed cockpits have nothing to do with whether a car is considered a LMP1 prototype or Formula! I cannot believe people say this nonsense! I like McLaren MP4-X and the Red Bull Car.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The only thing that is important is the speed and the racing. Brawn's ideas about having video game cars just shows that he hasn't got a clue about how to make F1 work. He's pushing the party line from Liberty. The party line appears to be to make F1 "American" with comic book cars.

The silly "designer wet dream" cars from RedBull, McLaren etc are just that - styling games with no real thought about racing.

The only way to make them fast and able to race is to bring in active aero/suspension. This will allow the cars to compensate for downforce losses and let the drivers races have other.

Trust me, if the drivers are able to race each other properly, no one is going to care what the cars look like because noone will notice them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.