Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 09:53
Haven't the only real rules to stay been open wheels open cockpit , everything else has mainly changed for performance by the designers. Yeah things have been banned and outlawed but the current cars are the best we can get with open wheels and cockpits at this time. The only thing to help would be bringing back things that were banned (ground effects, active suspension ect).
Exactly, but I wouldn´t say the only things that were banned, there have been hundreds wich would have make the cars dramatically different. Just imagine if GE and active aero are permitted.... maybe they could produce enough DF (read, all a human can handle) without wings =P~

But if FIA ban any technlogy/route different to the one they use since the 70s it will be difficult to change any significant aspect of the cars, so basically they´re frozen

NathanOlder wrote:
The engines are inline with being "green" and the most advanced in f1 we have ever seen.
Yes agree, but still some technologies wich apply even on production cars are banned in F1

NathanOlder wrote:
If it was all "unfrozen" for next 4 decades, we may end up with jet powered flying cars that skip across the circuit at 400mph
Great! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, I´m not asking for unlimited rules, but as I´ve exposed some technologies wich were banned for several different reasons some years or even decades back, today may be perfectly doable to implement. I simply can´t understand anyone (with the money) can purchase a car wich active suspensions and active aero, but F1 cars can´t use it. Pinnacle of what? #-o

NathanOlder

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

I see your point. Even my Nissan Qashqai has movable aero devices. 4 of them infact, I can put the windows down while driving, beat that adrian newey :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by NathanOlder on 03 Feb 2018, 13:33, edited 2 times in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer
marmer

It is time for active aero but for me only if it's driver controlled which just different levels like how they adjust brake bias

NathanOlder

I guess that would help follow a car more closely, add a little front downforce then drop it off when you're back on the straights. But then some will slate it and throw it in the same pile as DRS ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer
marmer

NathanOlder wrote:I guess that would help follow a car more closely, add a little front downforce then drop it off when you're back on the straights. But then some will slate it and throw it in the same pile as DRS ?
Yeah but if it was driver choice and could just be adjusted it would just be a nice way to improve lap times without very costly engines as being able to shed downforce for straights and add for corners would allow for much faster lap times

strad

As devils advocate I have to point out that an active aero or computerized suspension that has a failure at over 200+ mph could very well lead to that death, y'all are dead set against ever seeing again.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

strad wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 04:49
As devils advocate I have to point out that an active aero or computerized suspension that has a failure at over 200+ mph could very well lead to that death, y'all are dead set against ever seeing again.
Can it be worse than Buemi losing both front wheels at 200Km/h the moment he touched his breaks?

Mandate a fail mode that can be driven back to the pits.
Last edited by Zynerji on 03 Feb 2018, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 04:49
Yes, and if a tyre explode that´s very dangerous, but at this point they´re reliable enough, and tracks are more safe than we thought possible just 2 decades back, take Alonso crash in Melbourne or Verstappen crash in Monaco as an example.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 13:33
NathanOlder wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 19:42
I see your point. Even my Nissan Qashqai has movable aero devices. 4 of them infact, I can put the windows down while driving, beat that adrian newey :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just incase the person who rated it negative wants to read it again. Here it is.
i thought it was funny.

i agree to andres point though - Ferrari 458 has moveable aero (DRS LIKE), ferrari LaFerrari has, Bugatti Veyron, Chiron, Mclaren MP1 et al, yet in F1 we can't have it because?

the because offcourse is simple though. spending.

a moveable aero part ALWAYS is going to cost more than a rigid object due to the complexity of the device.
now if ALL vehicles af a moveable device, then the simple fact is, there is no difference in competition when they do or don't have the device.

the only difference MIGHT be that the teams which can spend gazillions more have a better moveable aero compared to the smaller teams, which would only enlargen the gap between top teams and small teams in competitiveness.

so the net result is that the reason we don't have that stuff is to keep costs spirialing out of control and to keep teams competitive.

DRS in essence IS moveable aero but all teams have it. the only reason why it 'works' is because it can only work if you're within a second of the car you're chasing. and to avoid it becoming dangerous, it is only usable in certain straights and areas.

and still you see devices like this failing from time to time, which causes either a DNF in the worst case scenario, or a time penalty in qually or race if it doesn't demand stopping from participating as it would be a danger or become an unfair advantage.

hence again - why there are no actual moveable devices.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer
marmer

It's F1 it's not a spec junior series as long as payments are fair and transparent if you can't afford to keep up with big boys why take part in the first place.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

marmer wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 20:49
It's F1 it's not a spec junior series as long as payments are fair and transparent if you can't afford to keep up with big boys why take part in the first place.
because if F1 is ran like that, we only end up with 3 teams in F1 and then there's no longer F1 to run with. :roll:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

marmer
marmer

Active aero wouldn't actually be that expensive. You could even make the motors and switches spec by the FIA

If that happened it would just be like developing new front or rear wings as teams do now let's be honest a drs flap is not complicated it wouldn't be much of a stretch to add variables to that and do the same for the front. They used to have it on the front but it was limited for no apparent reason by the FIA

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i do agree that it's not neccesarily that expensive. i'm simply mentioning the reasoning behind it back then.
fact is, we have such insanely complicated front wings now that cost gigantic amounts of money and resource that it's gotten lost in the forest somehow of reasonability.

i am curious about ground effects though.

interestingly though, with all the extra safety features f1 cars have nowadays, that arguably have 'botched up' the aesthetics of the f1 cars (think about pillars on the side),
that maybe ground effects and other aero stuff that got banned years ago could find it's way back in f1 in a positive light.

Big Tea

But once everyone had it, operating to a similar standard, there would be no advantage in it.

We would again be back to spending tens of millions for a 100th of a sec.

Yes the development race would be great, I would love it, but how long would it be for and foe how much throw away cost?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

2021 concord by Zynerji.

Each team MUST spend a minimum of 50M, not counting drivers.
1.6L current engines (frozen at end of 2020)
Unlimited AWD KERS
Car must be 2m wide
Teams develop and manufacture their own tyres.
During scrutineering, the teams must provide the CAD files and engineering data for each element that they put on the car.
Any item that is disclosed to the stewards/media is inherently legal to race.

Reverse engineering budgets - gone
Legality disputes - gone
Huge gaps between teams - gone
Incentive to outspend to win - gone
Huge engineer salaries to buy proprietary experience - gone

Closer racing - added
Co-Development atmosphere - added
Manufacturer incentive - added
Viewer engagement - added
Technological engagement - added

With 10 teams each spending 50M a year is 500M of shared development, more than any team gets for their current spending. You would probably end up with several solutions, with small clusters of teams working on similar philosophies for the 2021-2023 seasons, but a 2024 convergence would be expected.