Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

Seriously?
You think any real racer would rather lose with a beautiful car than win with an ugly one?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

We know the racer isn’t bothered about looks, 19/20 drivers lose anyway. But we as fans consume F1 with our eyes. I feel the cars have to be visually appealing.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Let's see what the video game cars have going for them - safety because closed cockpit like a fighter jet, they got wheels covered so aero is better. They look exciting and futuristic. I say Ross Brawn is on the right track. F1 needs to evolve and move forward not harken back to the 'golden' era which most people like to view with rose tinted goggles. I also read that he tried to get everyone to agree on a simpler front wing and Ferrari with their veto power overturned it. I believe in Ross Brawn. Ross Brawn for President!

santos
santos

digitalrurouni wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 16:08
Let's see what the video game cars have going for them - safety because closed cockpit like a fighter jet, they got wheels covered so aero is better. They look exciting and futuristic. I say Ross Brawn is on the right track. F1 needs to evolve and move forward not harken back to the 'golden' era which most people like to view with rose tinted goggles. I also read that he tried to get everyone to agree on a simpler front wing and Ferrari with their veto power overturned it. I believe in Ross Brawn. Ross Brawn for President!
Where did you read that? Didn't see any news about a simpler front wing and a Ferrari veto on that.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

santos wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 16:37
digitalrurouni wrote:
Where did you read that? Didn't see any news about a simpler front wing and a Ferrari veto on that.
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2018/01/19/ ... next-year/

I am not sure what the policy is on this forum on sharing links to other websites so mods feel free to edit delete my post I am going against the rules.

NathanOlder

strad wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 23:48
Seriously?
You think any real racer would rather lose with a beautiful car than win with an ugly one?

Its not about losing or winning for christ sake! Its about a faster ugly formula or a slower better looking formula.

If you had to chose beautiful cars that do a lap in 1.30.000 or ugly cars that do a 1.29.000 which would you choose?

They are not competing against each other, they are just a choice of formula. Only 1 can exist, which would you want as a fan/driver/ team owner.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

strad

you have completely lost the thread old boy.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Vanja #66

digitalrurouni wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 19:07
santos wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 16:37
digitalrurouni wrote:
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2018/01/19/ ... next-year/

I am not sure what the policy is on this forum on sharing links to other websites so mods feel free to edit delete my post I am going against the rules.
Well, that kind of change and simplification isn't in any of the teams' interest in this moment. Front wing is the most influential in shaping the airflow around the car, so this would mess with all the teams' plans for 2019, and they are surely already on it to some extent. Just because Ferrari has that veto, don't think other teams wouldn't use it. Zetsche explained current relation of Ferrari and Mercedes (in my view) as sibling rivalry on track, and brotherly love behind the closed doors.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

NathanOlder

strad wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 21:03
I thought talking about the looks of the cars is exactly what the thread was about young fluff.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

If all the cars are to the same regs, we will have good racing (provided the regs allow it) so it is not about nice v nasty, just what is nice and what is nasty
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

strad wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 21:03
Has he strad? The title of this thread starts with, "Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational...", not 'go faster and to hell with the looks...'

I don't think anyone would disagree with your point that a driver will always take a fast ugly car over a slow pretty one, but this is an argument about aesthetics.

Aesthetics is a personal thing, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied, and while you never answered my question about whether you thought the 2014 'dong' noses were aesthetically pleasing, I'm guessing that if the 2014 Williams didn't have a 'dong' nose you would have preferred the look of one over the other?

strad

Did you read Brawn's statements?
He said that to appease certain viewers that how the cars look is more important than function.
They've almost got to look like derivatives of video games
Lets see, WHY? Not to go fast but rather to satisfy those who are more concerned with looks than function.
If you disagree, I'm sorry but that's how I read it.
It seems pretty clear to me that many value style over substance these days, not just in this but in many areas of life.
Sir Stirling Moss

zac510
zac510

As far as I can tell video games seem quite obsesses with real-life simulation and historical recreation so if F1 does that we might end up with some kind of recursion :)

AJI
AJI

strad wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 02:46
He said that to appease certain viewers that how the cars look is more important than function.
Lets see, WHY? Not to go fast but rather to satisfy those who are more concerned with looks than function.
It seems pretty clear to me that many value style over substance these days, not just in this but in many areas of life.
I read it exactly the same way you do, but I accept that there is a commercial element to the discussion that considers aesthetics as a factor in the decision making process that ultimately influences the look of the cars.

I completely agree that a racer simply wants the fastest car, but F1 is (IMO) the motorsport version of opera. If the promoter wants a stunningly beautiful soprano who can't hit a perfect high C rather than Susan Boyle, who are we (as mere spectators who ultimately want F1 to thrive) to argue?

I apologise in advance for the terrible analogy, but it's been a long day...

krisfx
krisfx

AJI wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 10:55
strad wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 02:46
I read it exactly the same way you do, but I accept that there is a commercial element to the discussion that considers aesthetics as a factor in the decision making process that ultimately influences the look of the cars.

I completely agree that a racer simply wants the fastest car, but F1 is (IMO) the motorsport version of opera. If the promoter wants a stunningly beautiful soprano who can't hit a perfect high C rather than Susan Boyle, who are we (as mere spectators who ultimately want F1 to thrive) to argue?

I apologise in advance for the terrible analogy, but it's been a long day...
The best part about this whole "style or speed" argument is, if the regs are written for style an engineering team with still find the most beautiful way to make the car ugly if it's fast!