McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hecti
hecti

Re: McLaren MCL33

Nonserviam85 wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:20
Some points to discuss.

I am still struggling to understand the role of the slots on the side of the nosecone since they end up right before the upper wishbone.

Also why retain the 9 slotted FW on a draggy car? To be honest I was expecting more focus on the sidepod/bargeboard area
There is a picture were you can see through the slots, so no, it does not direct the air to the top wishbone

edit: here it is:

f1rules
f1rules

i think they are flowconditioners especially during yaw i can se them guide more air to the back ?
Nonserviam85 wrote:
Some points to discuss.

I am still struggling to understand the role of the slots on the side of the nosecone since they end up right before the upper wishbone.

Also why retain the 9 slotted FW on a draggy car? To be honest I was expecting more focus on the sidepod/bargeboard area

radosav
radosav

These updates were designed before they realised car was draggy?

f1rules
f1rules

maybe, from this angle i think it looks flat also

PhillipM wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:18
f1rules wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:12
its more flat
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc2s_gZX0AApJC0.jpg
Look at the 'V' right by the rear end - it's steeper than before and there's more flaps to turn the air above.
The bottom 'flat' section looks barely changed from before though.

bauc

The new nose looks stunning, also the new tighter engine cover makes the car look more slim. Something tells me we haven't seen all the updates yet
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

trinidefender
trinidefender

New central section of the diffuser:

Old central section from Baku:

Central section looks slightly slimmer. Increasing expansion in the diffuser. 4 vs 6 elements above the diffuser in the central section.

GoranF1
GoranF1

bauc wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:32
The new nose looks stunning, also the new tighter engine cover makes the car look more slim. Something tells me we haven't seen all the updates yet
Are you sure engine cover is tighter?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Vanja #66

This nose is amazing. It's not a nose anymore, it's an airfoil with a wing attached in front of it and "some" channels. Everything about this design screams downforce and drag reduction - but it's not really visible just how much they achieved on first sight.

Airfoil cross section of the nose is there to reduce the drag and maybe provide some more predictable flow behaviour in yaw. Slats on nose sides are there to provide even more yaw stability and increase pressure on top surface of the nose - downforce. The cape is making some downforce as well, just like Mercedes design. Front channels reduce drag, allow more air to the back and increase pressure on top surface of FIA's front wing centre section.

Massive push, it clear to see why passing crash tests was so hard and if it works as well as they hope - McLaren could easily be 4th fastest car from now on.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

hecti wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:25
Nonserviam85 wrote:
Some points to discuss.

There is a picture were you can see through the slots, so no, it does not direct the air to the top wishbone

edit: here it is:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc2hUtKWAAAYtWp.jpg:large
Oh okay, many thanks, I missed this one. Makes more sense now!

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Amazing design. I am not an expert but I think that this new philosophy focuses more on the airflow on the bottom half of the car than any other solution on the grid. All that accelerated air flow from the nose - airfoil goes straight under the car and to the diffuser increasing its efficiency. Now the whole design make sense. Can't wait...

bauc

GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:37
bauc wrote:
It looks more ''glued'' and more refined against the internal components than before as seen in the photo below

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

trinidefender
trinidefender

GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:37
bauc wrote:
While not the same angle exactly they look to be about the same.

godlameroso

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:44
This nose is amazing. It's not a nose anymore, it's an airfoil with a wing attached in front of it and "some" channels. Everything about this design screams downforce and drag reduction - but it's not really visible just how much they achieved on first sight.

Airfoil cross section of the nose is there to reduce the drag and maybe provide some more predictable flow behaviour in yaw. Slats on nose sides are there to provide even more yaw stability and increase pressure on top surface of the nose - downforce. The cape is making some downforce as well, just like Mercedes design. Front channels reduce drag, allow more air to the back and increase pressure on top surface of FIA's front wing centre section.

Massive push, it clear to see why passing crash tests was so hard and if it works as well as they hope - McLaren could easily be 4th fastest car from now on.
Do you think it possible that some teams experiment with channeling air through the nose through the car to exit as as micro jets to help seal the diffuser?

I really am pleased with what McLaren have done, I don't know why, obviously I'm not privy to the numbers, nor have we seen the car run on track, I just find the design well done. Not only is this a good step for them but it also gives them a good foundation for further development. I can already see some areas they're itching to get real data on to further develop. All in all well done McLaren, this isn't just an update it's a growth spurt.
Last edited by godlameroso on 10 May 2018, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Vanja #66

godlameroso wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:08
Do you think it possible that some teams experiment with channeling air through the nose through the car to exit as as micro jets to help seal the diffuser?
You mean all the way trough the car?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

godlameroso

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:12
godlameroso wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:08
You mean all the way trough the car?
Yes duct the air coming through the nose and speed it up so that it exits as a jet near the diffuser, maybe to add energy to any vortecies interacting with the rear wheel to limit it's effect on squirt. Or maybe to help with places that are prone to flow separation.

https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.8552
Saishū kōnā