McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: McLaren MCL33

These are the old Cascades as far as i can tell.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

M840TR
M840TR

Thunder wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 07:24
These are the old Cascades as far as i can tell.
Seems like you're right. Is there a change in the petals and those elements above on the inside of the endplates?

Morteza

Via AMuS
Last edited by Morteza on 08 Jun 2018, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Xero

The mounting point for the old sidepod turning vane, just behind the bulge, has finally disappeared. Suggests new sidepods, but not necessarily different. Can't see anything jumping out at me.

Edit: On second look, there does still seem to be a small screw hole there, so perhaps the extruding shape has simply been cut off.

godlameroso

Is this a new mid wing?
Saishū kōnā

GhostF1
GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 02:54
https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 168490.jpg

Is this a new mid wing?
I think you are right there!
I also don't recall the winglet join under Richard Mille being a twin element piece.

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

GhostF1 wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 03:58
godlameroso wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 02:54
https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 168490.jpg

Is this a new mid wing?
I think you are right there!
I also don't recall the winglet join under Richard Mille being a twin element piece.
Since the beginning of the season.

f1rules
f1rules

why is it mclaren need to run front brake ducts that are twice the size of most others, also mclarens flow conditioner below the duct is the only one like that whereas all the top teams have similar solutions

Drica

f1rules wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 08:45
why is it mclaren need to run front brake ducts that are twice the size of most others, also mclarens flow conditioner below the duct is the only one like that whereas all the top teams have similar solutions
Blown front axle means you have to collect air for blowing, hence the bigger brake duct.

f1rules
f1rules

i know but the others have that also, well i know they do it for a reason, im just tired of them to suck big time, i really want mclaren to move forward, hence i was looking around where their car differ from the main 3 ones, because interestingly, many mclaren solutions are being copied, but their own car "doesnt work"

djones
djones

What I struggle to understand is how a car with such unbelievable detail and development can be over a second slower than the simpler looking RedBull with the same engine.

f1rules
f1rules

yeah its frustrating, around the bargeboard area i would not call the rb simple, but yes. Secondly rb's pu integration just seem miles ahead, i think the deficit is more pu integration and chassis then aero, especially the unconventional rear suspension geometry layout, im not convinced about, but we will see i quess if theyll update this area
Nice pictures here by the way
https://www.motorlat.com/notas/fotosF1/ ... aren-mcl33

f1rules
f1rules

Jackles-UK

f1rules wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 08:45
They’re likely bigger than usual for this week. Canada is one of the the toughest tracks of the season on the brakes so I expect a few teams will expand their cooling as a one-off. In the way you have Monza spec rear wings and Monaco spec steering racks you often see Canada spec brake ducts/cooling.

kalinka
kalinka

f1rules wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 10:34
yeah its frustrating, around the bargeboard area i would not call the rb simple, but yes. Secondly rb's pu integration just seem miles ahead, i think the deficit is more pu integration and chassis then aero, especially the unconventional rear suspension geometry layout, im not convinced about, but we will see i quess if theyll update this area
Nice pictures here by the way
https://www.motorlat.com/notas/fotosF1/ ... aren-mcl33
I can not recall any team/team member/driver statement that the new rear suspension is bad. Also, we didn't see any heavy redesign / tweaking attempts on it, so I think it's OK. Of course it's a compromise, but clearly they think they are on positive side overall.