McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
M840TR

Re: McLaren MCL33

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 21:51
Have they been given special leeway to run a different paint scheme on Alonso's car? I thought there was a requirement for the cars to be the same except for driver's numbers.
I think that applies to situations where there are significant or complete revisions to the livery. Any occasional tribute themes are probably in the confines.

Just_a_fan

This is the FIA - don't take anything for granted! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

humble sabot

Coulthard ran a special livery in his goodbye race. He didn't make it past the first corner, but it was the same circumstance.
I suspect there's a clause about a driver's final race, possibly with some sort of condition relating to the driver's importance.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

wesley123

humble sabot wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 04:31
Coulthard ran a special livery in his goodbye race. He didn't make it past the first corner, but it was the same circumstance.
I suspect there's a clause about a driver's final race, possibly with some sort of condition relating to the driver's importance.
Red Bull had to request this. Coulthards livery was also significantly different compared to the livery they ran that year. Alonso's livery isn't really all that different, it has the same orange and blue colors they ran all year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

f1rules

is this picture?

and this

both from amus

TimS

I know one is from the rear and the other from the side but not as straight as before?

PhillipM

It does look substantially different from the previous setup, maybe a different aero cover on the outer.

PhillipM

Actually, scratch that, it deviates too much from the older setup to be purely an aero cover, it must be a structural change too. Perhaps they're testing some of the changes to the geo for next year already.

M840TR

I just compared the recent image with the old one (someone kindly do a before & after) and the new suspension has a much sharper relative angle, like the Ferrari one.
Alonso said they’re testing 2019 parts so this would suggest the suspension is working as expected and they’re further improving it. Nice!

ALO_Power

True, it does look more Ferrari style.
I don't know if it's an illusion or not, but it looks like the arm is cut in the middle and they "welded" a new part that curves upwards.

mclaren111

Looks like a few pitot tubes missing behind suspension ??

Drica

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 10:00
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsrO1fMW0AAY39n.jpg

Looks like a few pitot tubes missing behind suspension ??
Seems to me that they were testing airflow in the areas right behind the front wheels, not behind the suspension

ringo

Now that the season is over, it is said that there is a fundamental issue with the mcl33 that prvented it from being developed and it was discovered too late for mclaren to have made a "B car"
What is this issue?
For Sure!!

M840TR

ringo wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 21:33
Now that the season is over, it is said that there is a fundamental issue with the mcl33 that prvented it from being developed and it was discovered too late for mclaren to have made a "B car"
What is this issue?
No one but the team knows for sure, but it's thought to be around the sidepod area which would need significant aero and/or packaging redesign.
It was also reported by Ted the Mcl34 has ancillary cooling ducts with the main intake like other cars to narrow the sidepods, although that may just be a new design direction than related to the 'fundamental flaw'.

DiogoBrand

The strange thing for me is that the team started out relatively well, with 8 points finishes between the two drivers on the first five races, but everything went downhill towards the end, with both drivers constantly struggling not to finish last. I'd be really curious to know what hindered their development so much.