2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

CriXus wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 03:20
godlameroso wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:20
OK here's the gap for the tires. From Medium to soft it's .6 seconds, then every step softer than soft is .2 seconds faster, so the difference between the super soft and hyper soft is .4 seconds, and the difference between hypersoft to soft is .6 seconds, so the gap from medium to hypersoft is 1.2 seconds.
That is how i am interpreting the gap.

hypersoft +0s
ultrasoft +1s
supersoft +2.2s
soft + 3.6s
medium +5.2s

1.2 seconds gap from medium to hypersoft looks too small.
5.2 ???

McHonda
McHonda

CriXus wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 03:20
godlameroso wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:20
OK here's the gap for the tires. From Medium to soft it's .6 seconds, then every step softer than soft is .2 seconds faster, so the difference between the super soft and hyper soft is .4 seconds, and the difference between hypersoft to soft is .6 seconds, so the gap from medium to hypersoft is 1.2 seconds.
That is how i am interpreting the gap.

hypersoft +0s
ultrasoft +1s
supersoft +2.2s
soft + 3.6s
medium +5.2s

1.2 seconds gap from medium to hypersoft looks too small.
You think Renault can do 1.14's around Barca?

godlameroso

Maybe in two years if the regulations stay the same.
Saishū kōnā

McHonda
McHonda

Yeah it's too optimistic on the delta. Yours is much more likely imo.

McMika98
McMika98

Many teams are finding very small delta between the various soft ranges. Apparently 1s between the medium and soft but from soft to hyper its marginal and possibly only a second in total. It could be the new tarmac and the tyre compound construct.

Marti_EF3

But that gaps with the tires, may be caused by the new tarmac on the Circuit??

Sainz said it was part of the "problem"

FrukostScones

1158 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:52
FrukostScones wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:50
bonjon1979 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:43

Why does cutting the chicane effect his top speed?
top Speed for Ocon looks normal.
I doubt it is the speed of the lap when he skipped the chicane.
I'm just saying I was watching the timing screens and the speed updated when that lap occurred. Doesn't matter to me either way, just offering an observation.
ah, ok then.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Auto sport live feed.

07:59 Some changes to the previously announced driver order today. Raikkonen will run all day instead of Vettel, and Stroll will drive the Williams this morning instead of Robert Kubica. Controversial!

08:01 Bottas and Ericsson are the first up the pitlane, followed by Vettel.

08:02 So it would appear that the information we've been handed regarding the driver line-up is twaddle. Our apologies. *theatrically rips up worthless piece of paper*

Followed by

08:03 Williams now confirm that Kubica will be in the car this morning.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

johnny comelately wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 03:14
Opinions sought as to cause and remedy (if it is perceived as a problem, which I think it is) of the right rear wheel/tyre attitude. Last night I only saw the Aston, but here are two more with exactly the same:
https://eastman.cdn.liveblogpro.com/5a9 ... 8b456b.jpg
https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/fullsize ... lliams.jpg
https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/fullsize ... errari.jpg
It's a natural result of high speed cornering. Camber change is to be expected in corners.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Maritimer
Maritimer

shotzski wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:32
When is it beneficial for teams to run the hypersoft, full fuel load (1st stint) or on fumes (last stint)? Especially in Mclaren's case since they've been running it alot
I would expect it depends on how well the driver can get them switched on; might require the extra mass of a full tank to come up to temp adequately but I feel like this logic could apply to the softest tire on any given weekend. I suspect most will start on it to build a gap and then go to US/SS for a longer stint. Will depend on how degradation is this year.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:14
johnny comelately wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 03:14
Opinions sought as to cause and remedy (if it is perceived as a problem, which I think it is) of the right rear wheel/tyre attitude. Last night I only saw the Aston, but here are two more with exactly the same:
https://eastman.cdn.liveblogpro.com/5a9 ... 8b456b.jpg
https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/fullsize ... lliams.jpg
https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/fullsize ... errari.jpg
It's a natural result of high speed cornering. Camber change is to be expected in corners.
Yes it is, but far from optimal for a race car.

djones
djones

Are Ferrari going to let Kimi have a go in testing?

Talk about all eggs in one basket.

f1316
f1316

djones wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:32
Are Ferrari going to let Kimi have a go in testing?

Talk about all eggs in one basket.
To be fair, he was supposed to be running all day yesterday but was sick. So long as he stays off the sauce tonight :wink: , he'll be in all day tomorrow

Chene_Mostert

Interesting approach to race simulation by Ferrari and Vettel yesterday using compounds that will be used for the race.

They have effectively broken it up and did it unnoticed.

Lots of members on this Forum with free time, any one interested in analyzing his times and posting the findings?
It will give us a lot more insight than all the drooling over the headline grabbing times times.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

CBeck113
CBeck113

Chene_Mostert wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:35
Interesting approach to race simulation by Ferrari and Vettel yesterday using compounds that will be used for the race.

They have effectively broken it up and did it unnoticed.

Lots of members on this Forum with free time, any one interested in analyzing his times and posting the findings?
It will give us a lot more insight than all the drooling over the headline grabbing times times.
We all know that Ferrari have no chance against RB and Mercedes this year because of the test times from yesterday; how could you even dare to imply that they might have been on a different test program?
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail