2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Squid
Squid

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Video of the wheel coming off Alonso's car.

Spin was definitely caused by the wheel coming off.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

car sounds great though, and looks firmly planted - well, before the wheel said 'adios'.
might be a production flaw instead of a design flaw though.
they're probably analysing data whilst fixing the damage - if the damage is fixable right now.

interesting that gravel can have such huge damage impact on a car - i think we should take that into account when the next time a car hits the gravel and has trouble keeping up, or vise versa, when it hits gravel yet is able to still compete for podium.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Squid wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:24

Right before the last turn the wheel wobbles heavily then the spin and then it detaches :shock:

Bisonas

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:32
interesting that gravel can have such huge damage impact on a car - i think we should take that into account when the next time a car hits the gravel and has trouble keeping up, or vise versa, when it hits gravel yet is able to still compete for podium.
Well the gravel did some damage because the car lost the wheel. So the rear right side was bottoming heavily on the gravel.
If it was just a spin and off to the gravel or even a puncture with all wheels on , nothing would have happened probably.
Especially at that speed. He was on the S , he wasn't going that fast. And good for all that it happend there and not in some high speed corner.

Sieper

cliffgamerz wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:36
Squid wrote:

Right before the last turn the wheel wobbles heavily then the spin and then it detaches :shock:
I think because the rear suspension (see picture on the MCL33 thread) had broken off. It has some complex curves, Fred, really pushing for the first time and , snap broken of.

(big) setback for McLaren I think (but likely anticipated) that is what testing is for.

Big Tea

I think the wheel was already gone by the time he slid over the curbs, so that could well have torn stuff off too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Sieper wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:47
cliffgamerz wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:36
Squid wrote:

I think because the rear suspension (see picture on the MCL33 thread) had broken off. It has some complex curves, Fred, really pushing for the first time and , snap broken of.

(big) setback for McLaren I think (but likely anticipated) that is what testing is for.
not at all. you can see that when he corners right, the tire(wheel) moves further outward and outward, obviously theres gonna be a wobble by then but that still was the wheel. if there's any suspension damage then that's due to the forces of the wheel coming off, not vise versa.

simple as a wheelnut giving up for whatever reason. as i mentioned, it can be -outside of something simple as badly mounted- a production error over an actual design flaw.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Sieper

Once the wheel is gone there are not many forces pushing on the upper rear wishbone. I think it is likely it shearing of was the cause of this crash. Now, if McLaren anticipated this to happen or not (and bringing stronger rear suspension arms) now remains to be seen. I think it is likely they feared this happening already and have parts ready.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

While McLaren is dealing with its problems, now Honda powered STR is leading the lap count with 38 laps on board

cliffgamerz wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 13:00
While McLaren is dealing with its problems, now Honda powered STR is leading the lap count with 38 laps on board
40 now. Same amount Honda PU did for entire first day last year.

And wasn't that 2 Honda PUs last year. Jesus that real was awful.

Gerhardsa

Damn that's tight...

Bisonas

Alonso did tried instinctively to save the corner briefly, he tries to correct it and save it for one second while the wheel inst completely off, before he spins.
He lost completely the wheel during the spin.

jonas_linder
jonas_linder

1158 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 13:03
cliffgamerz wrote:

The irony :roll:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Gerhardsa wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 13:05
Damn that's tight...
https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/2/ ... a8_800.jpg
is it, really?

i honestly feel like where on the left hand side where the sidepod/engine cover says 'bull' it's a tad 'chubby'. like it has love handles. i would need to see a decent amount of comparison shots from the same angle for the other teams to judge on whether it's really 'that' tight.

jonas_linder wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 13:12
1158 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 13:03
cliffgamerz wrote:

The irony :roll:
I'm starting to wonder if Fred is the problem. Bad luck follows him around like a puppy.