2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
AMG.Tzan

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Marquez's riding today was over aggressive...too many mistakes while being way too fast! But...people and specially Rossi have short memories...!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhUiO9RFMnQ/
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 00:42
Marquez now needs to learn the hard way. He needs a ban. He does what he wants time and time again. Stalled on the grid, bump started it (illegal) , turned around are drove the bike in opposite direction (illegal) , retook his original place then started on the grid (illegal). Drove through Aleix Esp (illegal) . Drove Rossi off the track (illegal) .

In the end he lost a 5th place (about 12 pts)

A joke.
Race control needs to accept responsibility for that shambles..

Clearly it was a case of maladministration - giving a rampant M.M. ( he was easily the quickest on track)
a ride-through penalty - so the utterly predictable result - was always going to be a 'bull-in-a china-shop'
scenario..

The string of needless dramas which resulted, ought to have been avoided by a post-race 30 sec penalty
for the grid infringement, which in the circumstances, would still have likely been a race win for M.M...

As for Rossi, he missed the opportunity to tell Marquez, the apropos words Stoner had given him,
(after Stoner had been punted off by Rossi).. "Your ambition outweighed your talent".

At least Marquez showed he was man enough to go & apologise,( before being rudely rebuffed by Rossi's man),
whereas Stoner had to seek out Rossi, in his camp..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

rscsr

adb wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:00
Strange race, was there some info on this start? What was the reason for this grid?
Miller with Slicks on Pole, everyone else on rain tyres.
Everyone on rain tyres decided they also want to use slick, because the track was drying fast. Therefore they would have to start from the pitlane. Something similar happened on the Sachsenring and the race control didn't want that to happen again.
Therefore they decided to put everyone (except Miller) to the back of the field. This meant that the field was about 5 rows behind Miller. (if they would have had more starting boxes, they would have put them even further back)
At the start Marquez's engine stalled, he bump started it (which is actually quite impressive) and he rode back to his starting position. He got a ride through for that afterwards.
And Miller obviously led into the first corner.

turbof1

J.A.W. wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 03:30
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 00:42
Marquez now needs to learn the hard way. He needs a ban. He does what he wants time and time again. Stalled on the grid, bump started it (illegal) , turned around are drove the bike in opposite direction (illegal) , retook his original place then started on the grid (illegal). Drove through Aleix Esp (illegal) . Drove Rossi off the track (illegal) .

In the end he lost a 5th place (about 12 pts)

A joke.
Race control needs to accept responsibility for that shambles..

Clearly it was a case of maladministration - giving a rampant M.M. ( he was easily the quickest on track)
a ride-through penalty - so the utterly predictable result - was always going to be a 'bull-in-a china-shop'
scenario..

The string of needless dramas which resulted, ought to have been avoided by a post-race 30 sec penalty
for the grid infringement, which in the circumstances, would still have likely been a race win for M.M...

As for Rossi, he missed the opportunity to tell Marquez, the apropos words Stoner had given him,
(after Stoner had been punted off by Rossi).. "Your ambition outweighed your talent".

At least Marquez showed he was man enough to go & apologise,( before being rudely rebuffed by Rossi's man),
I agree mostly with you, except that he should not have gone to Rossi's box for apologising. Not immediately anyway; you can figure everyone there was still very furious about Marquez. He should have stuck to a public apology first and the day after try to approach Rossi one way or another.

He did also claim his actions "were not crazy"... . Somehow I don't see all too much regret from Marquez.
#AeroFrodo

adb
adb

rscsr wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 07:25
adb wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:00
Strange race, was there some info on this start? What was the reason for this grid?
Miller with Slicks on Pole, everyone else on rain tyres.
Everyone on rain tyres decided they also want to use slick, because the track was drying fast. Therefore they would have to start from the pitlane. Something similar happened on the Sachsenring and the race control didn't want that to happen again.
Therefore they decided to put everyone (except Miller) to the back of the field. This meant that the field was about 5 rows behind Miller. (if they would have had more starting boxes, they would have put them even further back)
At the start Marquez's engine stalled, he bump started it (which is actually quite impressive) and he rode back to his starting position. He got a ride through for that afterwards.
And Miller obviously led into the first corner.
Thanks, read a bit about that later on, but still what confuses me is that this rule is for riders changing bikes after sighting lap, but with Quick Restart there was another sighting lap and then the actual warm up lap

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

turbof1 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 08:29
J.A.W. wrote:

I agree mostly with you, except that he should not have gone to Rossi's box for apologising.

Not immediately anyway; you can figure everyone there was still very furious about Marquez. He should have stuck to a public apology first and the day after try to approach Rossi one way or another.

He did also claim his actions "were not crazy"... . Somehow I don't see all too much regret from Marquez.

I agree with M.M., his riding was "not crazy" - he simply had the 'bit between his teeth', & was going
'hard out', & felt frustrated by the 'mobile chicanes' who were blocking his progress.

Now, of course - this is M.M. in 'full race mode', & IMO, race control really has to take the blame for
'unleashing the beast', since they'd effectively 'goaded' him into a 'red mist/frenzy'. All predictable.

Rossi cannot realistically claim to be the offended party either, not with his long track record in typical/smirking denial of responsibility - for pulling similar stunts so often, down the years..

Congrats to Cal on taking the win, & being the 1st Englander in ~40 years to gain a points lead in the premier class, good effort.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

rscsr

J.A.W. wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 11:24
turbof1 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 08:29
J.A.W. wrote:

I agree mostly with you, except that he should not have gone to Rossi's box for apologising.

Not immediately anyway; you can figure everyone there was still very furious about Marquez. He should have stuck to a public apology first and the day after try to approach Rossi one way or another.

I agree with M.M., his riding was "not crazy" - he simply had the 'bit between his teeth', & was going
'hard out', & felt frustrated by the 'mobile chicanes' who were blocking his progress.

Now, of course - this is M.M. in 'full race mode', & IMO, race control really has to take the blame for
'unleashing the beast', since they'd effectively 'goaded' him into a 'red mist/frenzy'. All predictable.

Rossi cannot realistically claim to be the offended party either, not with his long track record in typical/smirking denial of responsibility - for pulling similar stunts so often, down the years..

Congrats to Cal on taking the win, & being the 1st Englander in ~40 years to gain a points lead in the premier class, good effort.
how can you blame the race control? Only Marquez is to be blamed for his actions. He broke the rules several times. And every penalty has been quite correct. Especially after he got penalized for crashing into Espargaro, you should expect any rider to not repeat that foul action.

AMG.Tzan

And why on earth is everyone only speaking about the Rossi-Marquez clash?? Zarco also hit pedrosa and because of that pedrosa crashed! Yet no penalty for Zarco! But that's what happens when 80% of the MotoGP fans are Rossi fans...and Rossi gives them food for anger against other riders! =D> Marquez was just racing hard there...over the edge yes...but not crashing others out on purpose...that's just silly Rossi media reactions! Get on top of it and don't have short memories...! :wink:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

This race was a great expose of the effect of different electronic settings and what the teams chose, all brought on by variable grip. It effectively nobbled the Ducatis, made the Hondas and Rins Suzuki go and well again the works Yamahas got flogged by the privateer
OH, and administratively the biggest bit of uselessness ever !

GPR-A duplicate2

AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 12:46
And why on earth is everyone only speaking about the Rossi-Marquez clash?? Zarco also hit pedrosa and because of that pedrosa crashed! Yet no penalty for Zarco! But that's what happens when 80% of the MotoGP fans are Rossi fans...and Rossi gives them food for anger against other riders! =D> Marquez was just racing hard there...over the edge yes...but not crashing others out on purpose...that's just silly Rossi media reactions! Get on top of it and don't have short memories...! :wink:
I agree. Rossi did worse in 2015 Malaysia GP that warranted a black flag, but that did not happen. There wasn't even a penalty for deliberately putting a driver off the race! So why is this an issue now?

If anything, the Race Control should get some kind of penalty for the shambles. A 30 minutes delay didn't change anything on track as the conditions remained the same and after the delay, just 15 minutes was given to rush the bikes and riders. Quite naturally, it didn't help the matters.

If anything, the race clearly segregated the best rider in all conditions from all other mortals. A few laps more, he would have lapped the entire field!

Andres125sx

I´ll say I didn´t expect Rossi to be this hipocritical sincerely, Marquez didn´t kick anyone intentionally after all.... :roll: #-o

Rossi has been Marquez idol for many years. For example, Marquez watchez Rossi pushing Gibernau to the gravel in Jerez 2005 when Marc was a child (literally), so we can safely say what Marquez do on track is partly thanks to Rossi leasons. Now Marc is not a child, and Rossi met his match :twisted:

Cope with that Vale and stop crying

bdr529

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:10
Rossi pushing Gibernau to the gravel in Jerez 2005
That's the first thing I thought of, I'm surprised Rossi forgot about it
As for Marquez, clearly the kid had some place to get to in a hurry

Andres125sx

Id like to clarify it was Marc fault on all scenarios, but I dont think it was intentional, so Rossi should have accepted Marquez apologies and shouldnt have rant so loud.

Marc received several deserved penalties because of his mistakes and thats all, move on

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 11:52
Id like to clarify it was Marc fault on all scenarios, but I dont think it was intentional, so Rossi should have accepted Marquez apologies and shouldnt have rant so loud.

Marc received several deserved penalties because of his mistakes and thats all, move on
You are right. Pedrosa falled in the same way. Marquez was punished and thats all. No need to make it bigger than what it is. Other riders also made this kind of mistakes. Yes Marquez made more of them because he made more overtake actions. He must act more relaxed of course. I think he must take it easy and must be finish race after Dovi overtake.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

I don't believe Pedrosa and Zarco touched. Pedrosa sat his bike up. He only crashed because he went wide naturally because of the pass and got on to the wet part of the track. Hard but fair move.

Marc was using Aleix and Rossi as a mobile berm. That's no way to ride. Even if one can forgive the Aleix move as Aleix later explained he was passed by Petrucci in a similar yet even harder fashion which ultimately led to his retirement out of the race. But then Marc went in to a turn where he had no chance to pass Rossi and had Rossi not fallen MAYBE Race Direction would have been lenient or told him to return another place I am not sure but it was a second incident of him barging in to riders despite having crazy pace than everyone else. He could have been more sensible and passed them at the next turn or something. I think Marc should start the next race from the back of the grid. However that may only exacerbate the situation as now he will have more people to pass!!! Perhaps a ban would be good for him to cool down. His skill is unbelievable but he needs to respect other riders as well!

Also the comment about the Ducati electronics hobbling the bike I disagree. They just have issues with this track. Like they did at Philip Island for example.