Minor regulation change to make the car look better

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mcjamweasel

Re: Minor regulation change to make the car look better

turbof1 wrote:
29 May 2018, 08:51
Probably not minor, but I'd first and foremost would like to see an overal dimension change. Cars are almost 6m long nowadays. Here is how it compares to 13 years ago:

https://f1tcdn.net/images/news/2018/int ... s-2005.png

Fixing that would for me go a long way concerning aesthetics.
Agreed. Chop ~600mm off the wheelbase and reduce the width of the front wing to match the rear (which will also allow a slight reduction in the length of the nose) and the cars will look amazing. A reduction to the size of the front wing end plate will also help.

CAEdevice

The only things I would change are the Halo (it should be better integrated) and, especially, the wheelbase that is huge. 300-400mm shorter wheelbase would help aesthetics and would make the cars more selective during braking (and overtaking).

Cuky

I am all in for shorter cars, but... It would be hard, or almost impossible, to pack fuel tank and all of the power unit parts inside a car that is 30-40cm shorter then they are now. I mean, it could be done by widening of sidepods, but what team would sacrifice aerodynamic performance of a longer car just for looks and agility.

Though, shorter cars would be easily doable with say V6 twin turbo engines, no hybrid components and smaller fuel tanks that would require re-fueling in a race

jjn9128

Cuky wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 09:08
I am all in for shorter cars, but... It would be hard, or almost impossible, to pack fuel tank and all of the power unit parts inside a car that is 30-40cm shorter then they are now. I mean, it could be done by widening of sidepods, but what team would sacrifice aerodynamic performance of a longer car just for looks and agility.

Though, shorter cars would be easily doable with say V6 twin turbo engines, no hybrid components and smaller fuel tanks that would require re-fueling in a race
There's a lot of real estate at the back of the cars. I don't think it's a problem for packaging. If a maximum wheelbase were enforced everybody would be in the same boat - rules normally limit aero so it's nothing new.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

djos

Cuky wrote:

Have you seen how long the gearbox casing is on the current cars? The gearbox itself is tiny, there's a lot of space to lose.
"In downforce we trust"

outer_bongolia

Cuky wrote:

I actually would love to force them to fit everything in a 600mm shorter package. All the empty space above the floor feels so inefficient.
I would also love to see a little aerodynamic inefficiency so that the cars would be more draggy and hopefully easier to follow.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

johnny vee

outer_bongolia wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 00:53
Cuky wrote:

I actually would love to force them to fit everything in a 600mm shorter package. All the empty space above the floor feels so inefficient.
I would also love to see a little aerodynamic inefficiency so that the cars would be more draggy and hopefully easier to follow.
Nice post man!
I also hope that it would make it easier to follow the car ahead, well get closer, and the 600mm shorter cars will make overtaking easier!
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded