2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:06
JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:00
Mercedes lobbying the FIA as we speak to introduce the reduced tread tyres at all tracks due to blistering.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Every team besides Ferrari had blistering maybe we actually see the different tyres at some more GP.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:11
Vanja #66 wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
Mercedes lobbying the FIA as we speak to introduce the reduced tread tyres at all tracks due to blistering.
Every team besides Ferrari had blistering maybe we actually see the different tyres at some more GP.
You don’t think it made things more interesting? Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad thing if cars had to stop twice a race instead of a 100% secure, bolted on one stop race after race.

But hey, only Ferrari didn’t have blistering so better do it just in case.

Vanja #66

MtthsMlw wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
Max handled it quite well as far as I could tell.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

popovic94 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:07
GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:53
popovic94 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:45

Calm down its gearbox and fuel presure problem.
My point is only buttressed by the fact that it seems to have affected not just one, but both cars. So, you have strategy and engineering fails thoroughly trashing a race that was theirs for the taking, losing valuable constructor and driver points.

The last time it was folk getting dimensions of the engine wrong, today it was a shocking strategy failure and an equally shocking double DNF.

Something has become old and tired at Merc. After today, Ferrari now leads both constructor and drivers championships.
Yeah it affected both cars today FIRST time after 1955 Italian GP. This was just bad luck and tough track that caused both fails. I agree it was strategy mistake that they havent pited but I am more surprised by Hamilton's behavior after the team's fault. You are at 4 place 11 laps younger tires than people around you in arguably fastest car on a track with 3 DRS zones and you go on and on on a radio instead to race and speak after race. That was not we win and lose together etc.I chear for Mercedes and for Hamilton but this was again whole world is against me moment... If he was at Alonsos place he would crash that car direct in pitwall.
Ha! So you'd rather mention Lewis than blame the team for today's failure? Sorry, but that's either seriously upside down or straight out biased.

That Merc introduced a new engine and straight away suffered a double DNF is statistically beyond bad luck.

That the team has made more strategy errors than others is also statistically beyond bad luck.

The team has to look itself in the mirror, shine lights into its dark nooks and crannies to remove any hints of the lackadaisical practices that tend creep in when an organisation gets used to seeing monumental success come their way.

Chene_Mostert

MtthsMlw wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
Well we always say its up to the other teams to catch up to the Mercedes PU, so its up to the other teams to get on top of the tyre blistering :shock:
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

TAG

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:18
MtthsMlw wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Max handled it quite well as far as I could tell.
It's the benefit everyone gets controlling the race from up front.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

If Ferrari were actively instructing Raikkonen and Vettel to run to deltas once Ricciardo and Hamilton were out of the way, which is what I'm hearing, then I bet they're both a bit p'd off right now. Why would Ferrari do this? Let one driver try full beans immediately and, if he destroys the tyres, you have another in reserve. For goodness sake, this is strategy for Dummies.

MtthsMlw

JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:16
MtthsMlw wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

You don’t think it made things more interesting? Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad thing if cars had to stop twice a race instead of a 100% secure, bolted on one stop race after race.

But hey, only Ferrari didn’t have blistering so better do it just in case.
It definitely spiced up the race with tyres not lasting for 60 laps (unless you're in a Ferrari or really nursing them home) as it should be. I hope we see more races like this and that Silverstone is the last race with the special tyres.

Justthatek
Justthatek

Merc again proving they can't handle being under pressure with not pitting under VSC instead going with their usual track position is king.

If I was Hamilton I'd be more pissed with the VSC call then the dnf imo.

Bottas with the pass of the day into T4
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Justthatek on 01 Jul 2018, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

epo
epo

Chene_Mostert wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:20
MtthsMlw wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Well we always say its up to the other teams to catch up to the Mercedes PU, so its up to the other teams to get on top of the tyre blistering :shock:
+100

Wass85
Wass85

Terrible performance by both the Mercedes team and Hamilton, Vettel is deserving of the title if this form continues.

TAG

Fulcrum wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:22
If Ferrari were actively instructing Raikkonen and Vettel to run to deltas once Ricciardo and Hamilton were out of the way, which is what I'm hearing, then I bet they're both a bit p'd off right now. Why would Ferrari do this? Let one driver try full beans immediately and, if he destroys the tyres, you have another in reserve. For goodness sake, this is strategy for Dummies.
Dummies that have to nurse their fuel. No SC meant they HAD to nurse.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

TAG wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:30
Fulcrum wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:22
Dummies that have to nurse their fuel. No SC meant they HAD to nurse.
Has this been mentioned in the reporting or is this your hypothesis?

popovic94

GrandAxe wrote:
popovic94 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:07
GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:53

My point is only buttressed by the fact that it seems to have affected not just one, but both cars. So, you have strategy and engineering fails thoroughly trashing a race that was theirs for the taking, losing valuable constructor and driver points.

The last time it was folk getting dimensions of the engine wrong, today it was a shocking strategy failure and an equally shocking double DNF.

Something has become old and tired at Merc. After today, Ferrari now leads both constructor and drivers championships.
Yeah it affected both cars today FIRST time after 1955 Italian GP. This was just bad luck and tough track that caused both fails. I agree it was strategy mistake that they havent pited but I am more surprised by Hamilton's behavior after the team's fault. You are at 4 place 11 laps younger tires than people around you in arguably fastest car on a track with 3 DRS zones and you go on and on on a radio instead to race and speak after race. That was not we win and lose together etc.I chear for Mercedes and for Hamilton but this was again whole world is against me moment... If he was at Alonsos place he would crash that car direct in pitwall.
Ha! So you'd rather mention Lewis than blame the team for today's failure? Sorry, but that's either seriously upside down or straight out biased.

That Merc introduced a new engine and straight away suffered a double DNF is statistically beyond bad luck.

That the team has made more strategy errors than others is also statistically beyond bad luck.

The team has to look itself in the mirror, shine lights into its dark nooks and crannies to remove any hints of the lackadaisical practices that tend creep in when an organisation gets used to seeing monumental success come their way.
Whats biased I just told you that I cheer for team and for him in championship!?
You know that gearbox hydraulics doesnt change when you bring new engine? And they introduced it in last race that they have WON. This failures were probably caused because of vibrations or hitting some rough cerbs and hydraulic and fuel lines on some weak spots snaped. On Daniels car exhaust failed as a example. Its probably nothing fundamental wrong with engine design. It is a beast yesterday was clear in qualy.
But you are right about strategy department they are realy slow thinkers and it is showing more and more in races where they dont have big pace advantage.
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

Chene_Mostert wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Definitely. The cars were designed and built with a specification of tyre in mind so to make in-season changes without the agreement of all teams would be disgraceful.