2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mattchu

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

Anyone else notice the red lights seemed to go out quicker than normal. I normally watch the all the lights come on, count to 4 then they go off, this race seemed more like 2.

Not saying its anything underhand [or a contributary factor] as the drivers should all be ready, just an observation...

Thought the Hulk had a solid race.

Zynerji

I think it's supposed to be random between 2 and 7 seconds to avoid jump starts.

Mansell89
Mansell89

The glaring standout of this race, behind what was a fantastic last 11 laps, was the Renault PU performance. They were absolutely nowhere- blown away by Ferrari and Merc.

No wonder RBR are gambling on the Honda!

MtthsMlw

Feeling sad for Sauber. Quite a bummer after the last great races.
But yeah these last 10 laps were F1 at its best.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

McLaren and Renault need to form some sort of partnership to develop together at greater pace if they want to close the gap to Ferrari and Mercedes. Maybe McLaren can help Renault with energy recover / deployment or something :?:

Schuttelberg

I'm just so happy for our sport at the moment. We saw an absolute humdinger!

Two quadruple champions at the peak of their powers and two titanic manufacturers going hammer and tongs at a classic track in front of a passionate and knowledgable crowd! All felt right with our sport!

Brilliant drive from Sebastian and Lewis over the weekend! I think Lewis was better on Saturday and Sebastian was better on Sunday. The margin between them is small and it's absolutely mouth watering what we have in prospect.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

zeph
zeph

Congrats to Ferrari and Vettel, they were flawless today.

But if Hamilton can fall back to last and still finish two seconds behind Vettel, I think that proves the only thing wrong at Mercedes is their strategy. When they were miles ahead of the rest it didn't matter, but with Ferrari this competitive they really need to bring their A-game every time.

Oh, and did Verstappen crash today?

marvin78
marvin78

The 2 seconds resulted from the safety cars and I don't think he would have gotten second without them.

poolboy67

zeph wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 22:03

Nope, but Crashjean sure did :D
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

MtthsMlw

zeph wrote:
He and Ricciardo touched wheels quite hard on the first lap actually and he spun at the end but that might be because of a BBW issue.
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 08 Jul 2018, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.

zeph
zeph

marvin78 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 22:05
The 2 seconds resulted from the safety cars and I don't think he would have gotten second without them.
Didn't Vettel pit under the safety car while Hamilton and Bottas stayed out? I though that gave him essentially a free pit stop and much fresher tires.

marvin78
marvin78

I did not talk about Vettel.

Mamba
Mamba

zeph wrote:
Congrats to Ferrari and Vettel, they were flawless today.

But if Hamilton can fall back to last and still finish two seconds behind Vettel, I think that proves the only thing wrong at Mercedes is their strategy. When they were miles ahead of the rest it didn't matter, but with Ferrari this competitive they really need to bring their A-game every time.

You must remember we had two safety cars bunching up the field and the use of high power settings on the PU side plus the fact that their car works very well around this track. That all contributed greatly to his come back.

I just hope this season continues to be close. Today was an absolute cracker. This season seems to produce a few of those with, admittedly, some dull ones in between to keep us watching.

MAMBA

MtthsMlw

iotar__ wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 21:58
- Why didn't they pit Bottas and where is "it's James" begging for forgiveness :D ? They took care of this one nicely.
Then Bottas would have been on used Softs behind Vettel on fresh Softs and since they knew that their pace and deg. on the Mediums was very good they decided to stay out hoping that Bottas could hold off Vettel.

Schuttelberg

I couldn't understand why Renault opted to put Hulk on Hard's.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"