Autonomous Cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Autonomous Cars

"he has "lost faith" that self-driving cars are going to see widespread use in the near future."

I never had that faith, if we mean L4/5, so Woz and I now agree.

Mind you that article is pretty rubbish "However, plans to implement autonomous vehicles around the world were dealt a severe blow in early 2018 after a fatal incident in which an autonomous Uber vehicle in Arizona struck and killed a pedestrian, causing the company to halt its self-driving car programme."

Is nonsense. It affected Uber's ridiculous antics, all the OEMs are steaming on regardless.

loner

i never understood why cars have now a parking censor i mean people driving cars since 1900 or even 1880 something ... i like EV but Autonomous Cars.. meh.
again Singularity is here the brainless cattles gave their lives to the filthy elite that rule the world and we all deserve what is happening and what is coming.. the Terminator skynet is real and basics achievable in 20 years.
para bellum.

Big Tea

loner wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 10:43
i never understood why cars have now a parking censor i mean people driving cars since 1900 or even 1880 something ... i like EV but Autonomous Cars.. meh.
again Singularity is here the brainless cattles gave their lives to the filthy elite that rule the world and we all deserve what is happening and what is coming.. the Terminator skynet is real and basics achievable in 20 years.
I have parking sensors :oops:

I really do find them good as I am 'no longer a youngster' and do not find it so easy to screw my head around, and having the extra warning that some idiot has stepped of the pavement into the gap I am reversing is a reassurance.

I do not depend on them, but in conjunction with the mirrors I think they are a good thing.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

Big Tea wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 13:25
loner wrote:

I really do find them good as I am 'no longer a youngster' and do not find it so easy to screw my head around, and having the extra warning that some idiot has stepped of the pavement into the gap I am reversing is a reassurance.

I do not depend on them, but in conjunction with the mirrors I think they are a good thing.

Big Tea

AJI wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 14:42
Big Tea wrote:
loner wrote:

https://youtu.be/wTVDpOaTGsc
I Think my sister-in-law must be Italian

loner- re reading that, do you mean 'self parking' (but you sit in) ?

If so I quite agree. If you can not park you should not be driving. I thought you meant the sensor that 'beeps' if there is anything behind less than 40 inch

loner

Honda joins GM Cruise to produce new autonomous vehicle
Honda will contribute approximately two billion US dollars over 12 years to the joint project, together with a 750 million US dollars equity investment in Cruise, GM's self-driving vehicle unit.
GM has already been building test versions of its Cruise AV, a driverless car based on the Chevrolet Bolt EV, but without a steering wheel or pedals.
https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d514f3049 ... are_p.html
para bellum.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

There's some gossip that GM are probably the leaders in AV at the moment.

loner

Big Tea wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 17:50
AJI wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

If so I quite agree. If you can not park you should not be driving. I thought you meant the sensor that 'beeps' if there is anything behind less than 40 inch
people must be super heroes to drive in early days then :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i wonder after some years what will left for people to do :D
para bellum.

AJI
AJI

loner wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 22:01
Big Tea wrote:
AJI wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfHMtgg2d8

Young people with all their fancy auto advance systems and shiny dip sticks and complicated 4 speed synchronous gearboxes and brake lights... It's pure laziness!

Big Tea

loner wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 22:01
Big Tea wrote:
AJI wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfHMtgg2d8

Pay?

strad

We here are bombarded by ads that show idiots doing stupid stuff and not paying attention and needing lane departure warnings and other driver aids that any competent driver doing their driving job should never need. And if you cannot parallel park you have no business having a license.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

strad wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 22:32
We here are bombarded by ads that show idiots doing stupid stuff and not paying attention and needing lane departure warnings and other driver aids that any competent driver doing their driving job should never need. And if you cannot parallel park you have no business having a license.

Its the same way people chose their cars today.

I want a red one

subcritical71

strad wrote:
Sadly, on the roads I drive daily there are quit a few drivers who are lacking any competence. Like anti-lock brakes, tire pressure monitoring systems, cruise comtrol, traction control, etc. these systems are meant for people who just want to get from point a to b the quickest way possible and couldn’t care less about actual driving.

AJI
AJI

subcritical71 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 23:44
strad wrote:
Sadly, on the roads I drive daily there are quit a few drivers who are lacking any competence. Like anti-lock brakes, tire pressure monitoring systems, cruise comtrol, traction control, etc. these systems are meant for people who just want to get from point a to b the quickest way possible and couldn’t care less about actual driving.
Cruise control is the greatest invention ever!

subcritical71

When I do long distance travel I also like the distance maintaining cruise control. For me I have to separate local driving vs long distance (>300 miles)