2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
maxxer
maxxer

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

jz11 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 19:11
basti313 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:26
f1316 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:42

Anything can happen - just remember Hamilton coming all the way back last time; even without a safety car (other than lap 1), Vettel went from last to 5th in France too. Rain, safety cars, VSCs etc. I’m not counting any chickens.
True. If nothing happens in turn 1, there is still a chance for P4. With the assumption, that Ferrari is simply faster here, this is just a loss of maybe 3 points. With a turn 1 incident of the top 4, there is an easy podium in sight.
Remember who is starting from the 2nd row, the pressure of uneventful (no crashes) races must be building up.

I wonder what are the odds at the bookies for VER not causing a first lap incident for tomorrow... :D
same as the odds VET not driving into the back of someone on a safety car restart

Big Tea

Don't forget, Grosjens is in front of Hamilton. He may not have to pass many cars.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Sevach wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 19:16
A lot of understeer for Vettel in the stadium, should be well set up against the rear blisters.
Vettel had slight graining on his front right after his first Q3 run.

FLuidd
FLuidd

Sevach wrote:
A lot of understeer for Vettel in the stadium, should be well set up against the rear blisters.
Last time Ferrari did not have blisters, but I guess you are talking about US not SOFT, also we will see how hot it will be tomorrow.

LionKing
LionKing

GPR-A wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:54
fabian77 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:44
RZS10 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:03
According to Mercedes the hydraulics issue occured before the heavy bumps, so the defect wasn't caused by him going wide but the other way round, he went wide after losing power steering - seems to be a similar issue to Bottas in Austria ...
Do you really think they would blame their golden boy, the car was fine on the replays until he went over the kerbs.
I guess Mercedes doesn't know people like you are available on the planet, otherwise they would have blamed you. :lol:

If a car in Austria fails due to hydraulic issue where Bottas didn't run over any Kerb, only those with half brains would find it difficult to imagine that the hydraulic failure could have caused the big understeer (steering column losing hydraulics) which took the car over the kerbs. I know this too much for you to understand. I offer coaching classes too!
This is what Lewis said before going into it wasn't my fault road:

“I didn’t really understand exactly what had happened,” Hamilton said of the incident. “So in my mind I’m like ‘get the car back to the track’ but they [the team] asked me to turn the car off.

“I jumped out and I wanted to see if I could push it back. I saw there was leaking oil and everything, so I knew I had to stop and let them put the car away somewhere. It was the will not to give up – I just wanted to keep pushing.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... -push.html

If power steering had failed into the turn, there is no way Lewis wouldn't have known it immediately. It would have been the first thing, he would have mentioned. "The steering was very heavy, i immediately know there was, blah blah..."
Last edited by LionKing on 21 Jul 2018, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

FLuidd wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 19:26
Sevach wrote:
Last time Ferrari did not have blisters, but I guess you are talking about US not SOFT, also we will see how hot it will be tomorrow.
A lot of cars had rear blistering after FP yesterday, that's what i'm on about.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

matt_b wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 15:33
Don't understand why Lewis didn't back out of it on a nothing lap, if Bottas takes pole he will be kicking himself alright.
if Bottas took pole he would most probably objected to it to like he objected to Rosberg doing the post race interview.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

GPR-A wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:54
fabian77 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:44
RZS10 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:03
According to Mercedes the hydraulics issue occured before the heavy bumps, so the defect wasn't caused by him going wide but the other way round, he went wide after losing power steering - seems to be a similar issue to Bottas in Austria ...
Do you really think they would blame their golden boy, the car was fine on the replays until he went over the kerbs.
I guess Mercedes doesn't know people like you are available on the planet, otherwise they would have blamed you. :lol:

If a car in Austria fails due to hydraulic issue where Bottas didn't run over any Kerb, only those with half brains would find it difficult to imagine that the hydraulic failure could have caused the big understeer (steering column losing hydraulics) which took the car over the kerbs. I know this too much for you to understand. I offer coaching classes too!
On the radio, Lewis said he was unable to change gears. Nothing about steering wheel, so you take your own coaching class for once perhaps?

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

GrandAxe wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 16:35
I'll wager it was the hydraulic problem that caused Lewis to run off, not the other way round.

The story about how bumping over the kerb caused hydraulic issues is not a clever one. There's also been some speculation about a broken suspension causing gearbox problems, even though the car was not leaning to one side. The only plausible angle is that the problem was nascent on his previous lap, causing him to go off, and then it manifested fully on the next lap, causing him to drop out of qualifying.
No true fanboy of his will ever doubt that the hydraulics caused him to run over the bumps, but you are sure to commanded for going as far as to say that his hydraulics even caused him to go off the previous lap.

MtthsMlw

basti313
basti313

jz11 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 19:11
basti313 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:26
f1316 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:42

Anything can happen - just remember Hamilton coming all the way back last time; even without a safety car (other than lap 1), Vettel went from last to 5th in France too. Rain, safety cars, VSCs etc. I’m not counting any chickens.
True. If nothing happens in turn 1, there is still a chance for P4. With the assumption, that Ferrari is simply faster here, this is just a loss of maybe 3 points. With a turn 1 incident of the top 4, there is an easy podium in sight.
Remember who is starting from the 2nd row, the pressure of uneventful (no crashes) races must be building up.

I wonder what are the odds at the bookies for VER not causing a first lap incident for tomorrow... :D
Yes, there is a lot of chance that something happens...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Juzh

Here's the pole lap with telemetry

hq link: https://streamable.com/4h01w

djones
djones

Any news on if Hamilton will take a new engine and gearbox?

He may as well drop to the very back and change them IMO.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

djones wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:14
Any news on if Hamilton will take a new engine and gearbox?

He may as well drop to the very back and change them IMO.
Might me smart to do. Then again, last race, he ended up P2 despite falling all the way to the back. A repeat would mean that at best, he'd manage P2 too. Being 6 spots up the grid would definately improve chances for a podium, perhaps even a finish. More even, he's in front of DannyRic, a direct competitor of the topteams. He'd prefer being in front rather behind those.

Offcourse, if his car is damaged, he won't have choice.

I do believe this race will hold atleast 1 safety car. If it's gonna rain tomorrow, even bigger chances.

I also rather think starting p14 might also prove a risk. He's gonna be right in the midst of the pack where contact is on the highest 'percentual' risk.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

MtthsMlw

Juzh wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:02
Here's the pole lap with telemetry

hq link: https://streamable.com/4h01w

https://streamable.com/4h01w
Thank you. Would love to see some side to side comparisons.
He even hit 327km/h on the straight while the speed trap only showed 322km/h.