2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

Gettingonabit wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 09:51
zac510 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 08:15
RZS10 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 02:07
Please, guys ... don't turn the "2018 >>HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX<<" thread into another pointless driver (preference) discussion
Too late...
Just use the ignore button, it makes this forum much cleaner. :wink:
Use the report button to flag up trolling / off topic comments to the mods. Then they can remove the offending stuff and nip it in the bud.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10
LM10

gdanielwesley wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 09:49
NathanOlder wrote:
Vettel needs to outscore Hamilton in Spa/Monza otherwise I feel his head will drop.
Vettel's mentally in a negative space, he knows he had his chance and blew it. He has not been able to put pressure on Lewis this race where Mercedes was not expected to be competitive, it was the other way round that vettel was under pressure, made that risky move on Bottas. Mercedes is going to be strong in the later part of the season and Ferrari don't have the car for twisty Singapore. Ferrari's spec 3 engine didn't look that special with Haas ..even if they show good pace in Monza and spa..unless Lewis has a dnf it is going to be incredibly difficult to bounce back from here...
Vettel didn't blow any chance in the race. He started 4th and 2nd was the best he could have achieved after the failed pit stop, which he eventually did.
Maybe you can explain me how you think Vettel should have put pressure on Lewis behind Bottas in Hungary.

Sevach
Sevach

f1316
f1316

I feel like, over the course of this half of the season, Ferrari have dropped the ball more than Mercedes but that we mustn’t also forget Mercedes’ own mistakes.

- Australia and Austria were the big two races that slipped through their fingers, but arguably Silverstone as well, given they started from pole. Lots of dropped points for Bottas that they can feel aggrieved about and both teams will likely claim China as one they ‘should’ have won

- but Ferrari certainly has more: China, Baku, Germany and Hungary were all guilt-edged chances and, given Mercedes’ issues in Austria, they’ll also feel they should have done more to capitalise but for a silly mistake in Qualifying

Nevertheless, what this shows is how easy it is to make mistakes when things are so finely poised and that both teams have can easily outscore the other based on minuscule margins.

My view is that, pending balance shifting updates, the difference this year is that the majority of upcoming races will favour Ferrari - Spa, Monza, Russia and Singapore should all be in their favour now, so if they execute the whole game could flip on its head.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Next four races should favour Ferrari, that is vital for Vettel to close back on Hamilton

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

f1316 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 10:30
I feel like, over the course of this half of the season, Ferrari have dropped the ball more than Mercedes but that we mustn’t also forget Mercedes’ own mistakes.

- Australia and Austria were the big two races that slipped through their fingers, but arguably Silverstone as well, given they started from pole. Lots of dropped points for Bottas that they can feel aggrieved about and both teams will likely claim China as one they ‘should’ have won

- but Ferrari certainly has more: China, Baku, Germany and Hungary were all guilt-edged chances and, given Mercedes’ issues in Austria, they’ll also feel they should have done more to capitalise but for a silly mistake in Qualifying

Nevertheless, what this shows is how easy it is to make mistakes when things are so finely poised and that both teams have can easily outscore the other based on minuscule margins.

My view is that, pending balance shifting updates, the difference this year is that the majority of upcoming races will favour Ferrari - Spa, Monza, Russia and Singapore should all be in their favour now, so if they execute the whole game could flip on its head.
Unless it rains.

People can argue all they like about who is the best driver in the wet but the facts speak for themselves. The last 9 wet races have all been won by the same driver. It’s not vettel

NathanOlder

LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 10:08
gdanielwesley wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Vettel needs to outscore Hamilton in Spa/Monza otherwise I feel his head will drop.
Vettel's mentally in a negative space, he knows he had his chance and blew it. He has not been able to put pressure on Lewis this race where Mercedes was not expected to be competitive, it was the other way round that vettel was under pressure, made that risky move on Bottas. Mercedes is going to be strong in the later part of the season and Ferrari don't have the car for twisty Singapore. Ferrari's spec 3 engine didn't look that special with Haas ..even if they show good pace in Monza and spa..unless Lewis has a dnf it is going to be incredibly difficult to bounce back from here...
Vettel didn't blow any chance in the race. He started 4th and 2nd was the best he could have achieved after the failed pit stop, which he eventually did.
Maybe you can explain me how you think Vettel should have put pressure on Lewis behind Bottas in Hungary.
Vettel blew it big time on saturday
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marvin78
marvin78

bonjon1979 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 11:03
f1316 wrote:

Unless it rains.

People can argue all they like about who is the best driver in the wet but the facts speak for themselves. The last 9 wet races have all been won by the same driver. It’s not vettel
Which could mean, that the car he had in all this races is very good in rain. I don't say that that is the case but in this discussion you people leave out the most possible solutions because it suits your favorite driver. If you have a neutral look on things there always are multiple explanations and the better car is even more possible than the theory that Hamilton is so much better in rain than every other driver. I think it is a mix of all that. Verstappen on Saturday showed that "a god in rain" (not from me, from some people here and the media) fails if the car is not good in rain or mixed conditions. It's all about the mix car and driver where the car has more of the part.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

marvin78 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 11:07
bonjon1979 wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Unless it rains.

Which could mean, that the car he had in all this races is very good in rain. I don't say that that is the case but in this discussion you people leave out the most possible solutions because it suits your favorite driver. If you have a neutral look on things there always are multiple explanations and the better car is even more possible than the theory that Hamilton is so much better in rain than every other driver. I think it is a mix of all that. Verstappen on Saturday showed that "a god in rain" (not from me, from some people here and the media) fails if the car is not good in rain or mixed conditions. It's all about the mix car and driver where the car has more of the part.
Ha, ok. The last time he didn’t win a race in the rain was 4 years ago in Hungary. We are told constantly that rain equalises things and the better drivers shine through. I think that even the most ardent anti-Hamilton fans would say that 9 out of 9 races in the wet, where we all know how easy it is to make a mistake is an extraordinary statistic.

wickedz50
wickedz50

f1316 wrote:

If I remember the races correctly,
China- Vettel got mixed up in a tangle with Vest, Bad luck I should say.
Baku- Up until the safety car Vettel was in a commanding position. Things changed soon after restart when there was issues with getting the tyres up to proper temperature. I will again call it a bad luck than anything else.
Germany- Only one race where Vettel takes the car to the wall under difficult changing weather condition. Tough call but everyone makes mistakes. So this is the 25 points which separates Vettel from Ham.
Under the present points system its fine, not a big deal.
Hungary- Under wet qualifying its not unusual that the fastest car is not on pole. As the track does not offer much overtaking coming 2nd from P4 on the grid is not that bad.
So to sum up Vettel behind Ham by 25 points in a faster car is partially luck and some driving errors which is not very big deal. Happy that all this happened now than later like last year.
Also just looking back into history Ham led Ros by 19 points going into the 2nd half of 2016 at Belgium GP. Everyone know how 2016 turned out at the end of the season.

marvin78
marvin78

bonjon1979 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 11:10
marvin78 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 11:07
bonjon1979 wrote:

Unless it rains.

Ha, ok. The last time he didn’t win a race in the rain was 4 years ago in Hungary. We are told constantly that rain equalises things and the better drivers shine through. I think that even the most ardent anti-Hamilton fans would say that 9 out of 9 races in the wet, where we all know how easy it is to make a mistake is an extraordinary statistic.
I never believed that rain equalizes things. I never did. That's a myth built by driver fans, I think. I might be wrong but I think I am not. It does not equalize, it moves some things.

I don't say, that Hamilton had no part in these victories and I don't say that it was luck and I don't say that every other driver would have achieved the same. But it's not all him that's very clear for someone who is not a driver fan or hater.

NathanOlder

If its the car then I guess his team mate finished 2nd in all 9 of those races ?

Of those 9 wet races, where did Bottas/Rosberg finish each one ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

LM10
LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 10:08
gdanielwesley wrote:

Vettel blew it big time on saturday
He isn't as good in wet as he's in dry. So what? How many times will people keep on mentioning it?

Just be happy Hamilton didn't get the chance to be the one blowing it, if it had stayed dry. Jesus loves him, as some told after Qualifying.

marvin78
marvin78

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 11:21
If its the car ....

You did not understand or read what I wrote.

And just watch the races...

WaikeCU

I don't think anyone can match Lewis in wet or changing circumstances at the moment. So whenever it's wet conditions, be on the lookout for that #44 Merc in front. Mistake of Vettel in Hockenheim was a vital moment during the season imo. It triggered a change in momentum somehow. I mean talk about a 4 time World Champion bottling it in front of his home crowd all because of his own mistake. In Hungary he clearly had the quickest car on track, but he was nowhere in Quali. During the race he couldn't benefit of the quicker tire due to the mistakes of his own team and it almost cost him the race when Bottas collided with him.

The Ferrari is however, the quickest car imo.