Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

I can argue showing you how false that is with his agreement about sharing best strategies with Lewis, (a rookie!!), alternatively from first race, until Lewis tried to get the best strategy two consecutive races, wich was the instant Alonso tried to stop the boy, but it will be useless so let´s agree to disagree

Andres125sx

10 things we’ll miss about Alonso in 2019

That link does include 10 must watch videos =D> =D> =D>

strad

I don't see where he said anything that was wrong in that article.
It amazes me that Ferrari haven't been dominant for the last two decades, to be honest, as they have generally had the best budget/facilities of any team over that time period.
Just shows that you cannot "buy" championships. It helps ,,, a lot,, but it doesn't guarantee anything.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Phil

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 18:00
I can argue showing you how false that is with his agreement about sharing best strategies with Lewis, (a rookie!!), alternatively from first race, until Lewis tried to get the best strategy two consecutive races, wich was the instant Alonso tried to stop the boy, but it will be useless so let´s agree to disagree
Ultimately, the team is bigger than the driver. Any driver.

Lewis, too, learned that lesson when Button joined McLaren and got on well with everyone. Off-track and engaging with the team is just as important as showing up and being the fastest. Alonso, as gifted as he may be, is not bigger than any team and no matter how much you want to argue in his defense about what happened in 2007, he has only himself to blame for making it the unworkable environment it ended up being and having to leave the team. He cheated himself out of contending for at least the 2007 and 2008 championships.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

iotar__

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13806 ... -2019-exit
Fernando Alonso says a lack of track action in Formula 1, rather than his and McLaren's recent poor results, prompted his 2019 exit decision.
Yeah right :D ... If he was driving Ferrari, and he has only himself to blame that he is not, I bet F1 would be in the most wonderful state ever and action level just perfect.

Let's see:
- Wasn't he the strong advocate of the current/new at the time aero regulation, babbling something about dangerous, manly cars, not current slow ones?
- I can't remember him complaining about engine rules when he was at Ferrari. The change that gave them (although not him) the chance to beat Red Bull.
- As for the rest, openly cheating FIA, absurd drivers market or privileged position of 3 + 3 teams (including his), I can't recall any complaints either.

Anyway: Alonso would be competing and winning in any era of F1 against any legendary driver.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

The political bit is the only thing that Alo's opposition can use to bash him. I doubt he's not even half of what u try to charge him, otherwise all other teams he worked with would easily say so (the opposite). As for the crashgate, Piquet simply spitted everything out, if Alonso knew, he would simply spit this as well. What happened in 2007 wasn't simply a toxic Alonso but also a toxic McLaren with a toxic Ron Dennis wanting to favor his British "informal son" to win as rookie with a British team against the 2-time world champion that halted Schumacher's domination. Otherwise Alonso wouldn't simply switch from a championship winning team to a such inferior team. Something serious was obviously going on, however I still admit that he was much younger back then and much less mature than he is now. Don't let me even comment about Verstappen... Plus, drivers ain't saints, because u don't know some stuff it doesn't mean that they ain't happening. For example, you have no idea what have possibly happened behind closed doors between Ricciardo and Red Bull (and that's just an example). It's the same story that people whining about Alonso's team-radios. Like they broadcast all of the team-radios of all drivers... They simple broadcast everything that comes out of Alonso's mouth coz it simply sells. Plus, he has all the right to say things after so many years of fake promises. One thing is certain, that he was and still is a driving genius and that matters for me and most people. As for who is where, it's simply luck and bad timing. If a driver can read a crystal ball and predict the future then he should get paid some extra billions for that capability. One choice can simply trigger a snowball effect.

strad

Senna was an angel? Prost was perfect? Nigel the drama queen was not a perfect gentleman. Farina was willing to endanger his fellow drivers. Schumacher drove his brother and others to the wall and often gave other drivers the choice of crash or let him have his way.
Many of the drivers we consider to be greats were not all that great as human beings.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

strad wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 21:19
Senna was an angel? Prost was perfect? Nigel the drama queen was not a perfect gentleman. Farina was willing to endanger his fellow drivers. Schumacher drove his brother and others to the wall and often gave other drivers the choice of crash or let him have his way.
Many of the drivers we consider to be greats were not all that great as human beings.
Exactly, and Alonso did nothing of those, he was always fair with his rivals on track, all he wanted was just what every driver wanted, a competitive car. Villeneuve told countless times that Schumacher was simply crashing his title-rivals to end their championship hunt but then all are "OH OMG the great Michael!". If Alonso did that his haters would still be talking! Senna also did the same as you mentioned and many other great names, and not just once... And then we're talking about Alonso coming in conflict with McLaren seeking for equality...

BrunoH
BrunoH

f1 losses a lot.

PlatinumZealot

saviour stivala wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 08:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 23:49
TheGkbrk wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 23:45

What are some of those political games?
Attempting to blackmail his team principal for a start.
Apart from “attempting to blackmail his team principle” on the other side there was his team principle declaring (we were not racing Kimi, we were racing Alonso”. That one was as honest as they come and right from the horse mouth.
The correct spelling is "team principal" not "team principle."

A principal is the head figure of a school or instituion or the chief admisitrator of some business or whatever.

A principle is a sort of rule you follow.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

techman
techman

It was alonso decision to move to mclaren and how many bridges has he burnt. thats why top teams dont want him. i wish him well in Indycar.

roon
roon

strad wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 21:19
I agree. I don't understand the claims of him being egotistical or conspiratorial.

McHonda
McHonda

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 23:29
Steven wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 23:02

Agreed, but I'm all for more bias towards engineering ingenuity and drive skill and away from the pure money bias. And a shift to this is considered necessary for a long time, but long overdue.
Sadly, money buys the best engineers and the best facilities to make their ingenuity in to reality. It amazes me that Ferrari haven't been dominant for the last two decades, to be honest, as they have generally had the best budget/facilities of any team over that time period.
Not during Alonso's time unfortunately. Pat Fry was shocked at the level of infrastructure/facilities at Maranello when he joined compared to McLaren. The wind tunnel taking until half way through 2012 to start working properly is the most famous example but Red Bull and McLaren-Mercedes had bigger chassis budgets by some way as well.

They just didn't deal very well with the transition to the ban on testing and were over reliant on Fiorano compared to the simulation tools others had.

That all changed with Sergio in 2014/15, he spent an unGodly amount of money on AVL test benches, built a new building to house the same type of full chassis dyno's as only Red Bull and Mercedes have and increased the budget to the same half a billion range as Mercedes so they could compete chassis budget wise with Red Bull without losing out in the engine department.

First car produced with all that benefit during 2016 when everything was up and running and staffed was 2017's Ferrari and the difference is obvious, chassis wise they arguably had the best for the first time since 2007/8.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

techman wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 06:42
It was alonso decision to move to mclaren and how many bridges has he burnt. thats why top teams dont want him. i wish him well in Indycar.
He had to make a change and he had no other option than getting into a new combination of a team and hope that it will work out well. New teams like Red Bull and Mercedes took their time and became winning, in fact, dominating teams, he hoped the new Mclaren Honda will be one of them. He gave Ferrari much than they deserved during the time he raced for them. Two WDCs missed in the last race and many many constructors points with the extra driving capabilities of his. Him staying at Ferrari may have lead him winning a title in 2017 or leading the standings this season. He didn't have any patience left so he moved. I can call it unlucky for him, Ferrari becoming a clear winning team on the grid after he left them.
Basically, he had reasons to burn bridges. Some valid ones.
Last edited by TheGkbrk on 18 Aug 2018, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

McHonda
McHonda

Just to illustrate, here's Costa's take on Ferrari's facilities at the time..
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/08/ ... truggling/
Strategic mistakes were made – I’m talking here about errors of vision – very serious ones. And of course they haven’t always taken the best decisions regarding people.

“I’ll give you an example. In 2008 we in the racing department put in a request to construct a new wind tunnel. We considered it essential to remain competitive. We were told that this was not the case and that there was no need.

“In Ferrari all the decisions, on strategy and people, have always been taken by the president, Montezenolo. To be fair, he took them when Ferrari was winning everything and he also took them when Ferrari stopped winning.”

The tunnel at Maranello was converted from 50% scale to 60% scale, but it suffered from problems with calibration and Ferrari lost a lot of time as a result. They were forced to use Toyota’s tunnel in Cologne while the issues were resolved.

Ferrari is currently constructing a huge new complex in Maranello to house its race team, known as Gestione Sportiva (2014).

And here's the Fry comments I mentioned... http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... -simulated

And what that means is that the organisation veers off to look at very short-term things. When I joined in 2010, there were quite a lot of things that were eight to 10 years out of date which we needed to fix. And these weren't quick fixes: it took just six months to work out what was wrong with the wind tunnel, and then another 18 months to fix it."

Alonso hasn't had the best budget/facilities since 2007, which maybe not coincidentally was the last time he had the quickest car.