2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Phil wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:34
subcritical71 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:21
The feel good story would be that Bottas wins, but using all the tools at their disposal Merc have ensured they have a better chance at both championships.
To be honest, I think they have harmed their chance at both championships. It's better to have a motivated and performing Bottas, than one who loses trust in his team. A motivated and performing Bottas is a stronger ally than one who isn't.
I think when Bottas went from Williams to a Merc second seat he would have known exactly what the score was.
If he did not, then is manager did a poor job of it, and I doubt Niki would have pulled any punches in the office.

Not nice for Bottas, but here he stands with a handful of second places and podiums, where else would he have got this?
Even had he gone to Ferrari or Red Bull he would not be as well off, and what if he stay at Williams?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:45
Phil wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:
The feel good story would be that Bottas wins, but using all the tools at their disposal Merc have ensured they have a better chance at both championships.
To be honest, I think they have harmed their chance at both championships. It's better to have a motivated and performing Bottas, than one who loses trust in his team. A motivated and performing Bottas is a stronger ally than one who isn't.
I think when Bottas went from Williams to a Merc second seat he would have known exactly what the score was.
If he did not, then is manager did a poor job of it, and I doubt Niki would have pulled any punches in the office.

Not nice for Bottas, but here he stands with a handful of second places and podiums, where else would he have got this?
Even had he gone to Ferrari or Red Bull he would not be as well off, and what if he stay at Williams?
His manager at the time knew exactly what was going on... :D (it was Toto Wolff)

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:49
Big Tea wrote:
Phil wrote:

His manager at the time knew exactly what was going on... :D (it was Toto Wolff)
I rest my case :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Anyone commented on the fact that Vettel made another mistake that allowed Hamilton to enter DRS range, resulting in the pass?

smellybeard
smellybeard

The sooner Merc have the drivers championship in the bag, the sooner they'll support Bottas in winning races and chasing second overall.

Sierra117

Fulcrum wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:51
Anyone commented on the fact that Vettel made another mistake that allowed Hamilton to enter DRS range, resulting in the pass?
Yes, quite a few times in the live feed if that's what you mean.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Jolle
Jolle

Fulcrum wrote:
Was that before or after he tried to put Hamilton in the wall?

subcritical71

Phil wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:
True, and last year we saw Lewis give back the position, so it’s not like it’s all take like on some drivers. And at that time Lewis was chastised for that action as those ‘fans’ were sure he would loose by the 3 points he lost by giving that back.

Sierra117

Anybody know that song, that really gothic-ish Russian-ish guitar solo intro to the Johnny Herbert-and-Sirotkin-doing-traditional-stuff special on Sky? It makes me think of some really early Metallica song but I'm really struggling,
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:50
Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:49
Big Tea wrote:

I rest my case :twisted:
I think any driver has that blind self confidence that they are able to beat their teammate, even if that guy is Hamilton in killer form and sometimes you get lucky (look at Rosberg in 2016). If you look at past "ambitious second drivers", they all were quite frustrated after a couple of seasons next to their WC teammate. Barichello and Irvine tried their luck without succes at other teams as team leader with big budgets, others, like Berger and Massa just understood their job and dealt with it.

It must be quite a brutal realisation for any driver that you're not Senna '88 or Hamilton '07 but Berger '90 or Patrese '92.

TAG

Rewatched some of the race now, the reaction of the fans when Vettel was able to jump Hamilton in the pit stop was great, and then the reaction of Hamilton overtaking Vettel on track as a perfect juxtapose and perhaps even the definitive moment of what the season has been. Kudos to the race director.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Sevach
Sevach

Mercedes screwed the pooch trying to get "cute" around the pitstops and then they decided not to take any chances.
Good Killer instinct by Hamilton who probably wouldn't get past if he waited a lap, Ferrari was with more downforce and that left then exposed.

Great race by Verstappen.

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 15:14
It appears the Ferrari fans have realised its over today. Some angry people about.
that's because Mercedes didn't just stick the knife in, they stuck it in and turned it a full 360 Degrees! :-)
197 104 103 7

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:55
Fulcrum wrote:
Was that before or after he tried to put Hamilton in the wall?
It was on the previous lap. I'm not quite sure what corner, but somewhere in sector 3. He outbraked himself, ran wide on corner exit, and managed to lose DRS range to Bottas and fall into DRS range of Hamilton.

zeph
zeph

To me, driver of the day is Bottas. He would have comfortably won this race.