steering

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marcush.
marcush.

tyre heat comes with load and scrub .
You don´t think the inner wheel gets heated much in a sharp turn barely touching the ground do you?
the anti ackerman thing only exploits the capabilities of the inner wheel,which is not a lot as it is not carrying much load at that moment .

MrT
MrT

I was speaking to W.Rowley about this effect and apparently the results are very significant with regards to heat generation especially at high steer angles. Scrub is not the only generator of heat. If you distort a tyre both longlitudinally or laterally you are 'working' the tyre, which induces heat into the contact patch. This distorsion is know as tyre slip (or at least is the whole reason behind tyre slip). Tyre scrub refers to lateral movement of the wheel with respect to the chassis, and is induced by the geometry. This scub will also heat the tyre as you have pointed out be distorting the tyre laterally. Tyres rarley actually slide over the surface, the tyre slip is a resultant from the tytre distorsion.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Yes, heat is generated by deformation of the rubber. But I'd think you'd be working it a hell of a lot more pushing it to a higher slip angle with 100+% pro-ackermann with a combination of that tire distortion and, more than likely, going well beyond the peak grip range and into the combination slip/slide phase.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.