2019 performance speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 performance speculation

Phil wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 15:46
If Leclerc is faster in qualifying more often than not, i fail to see how he will be demoted or forced to be the defacto number 2.
Someone suggested, in answer to my similar question, that Vettel would misbehave if that happened and Leclerc was allowed to win in preference to him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

Phil wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 17:53
I dont get the logic in a team (any team) limiting their own potential by supplying one of their drivers with a lesser car. Perhaps if parts are limited, then yes, it would be logical to ensure your better driver gets them, but beyond that, i really wouldnt know why a team might artificially support one more over the other, unless it would benefit them as a team somehow...
pure availability and resources. Big teams with lots of resources normally have two identical cars (Ferrari, Mercedes, etc). Only a few teams over the past decades that where challenging wins and championships ran different cars, with Benneton in '94 as the last real example. But that was a team very centred around Schumacher and he, allegedly, had some special parts on his car :P

santos
santos

Video comparison from the fastest laps of Vettel and Hamilton

It's only on facebook page. But it's public.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 18:17
Phil wrote:
If Leclerc is faster in qualifying more often than not, i fail to see how he will be demoted or forced to be the defacto number 2.
Someone suggested, in answer to my similar question, that Vettel would misbehave if that happened and Leclerc was allowed to win in preference to him.
Keep in mind though, if Seb does leave Ferrari, it not only means they lose him, which they may or may not mind, but he will also go somewhere else. The old saying about better have him in your tent peeing out than outside peeing in.

I imagine that if he took the second Merc seat, or back to Red Bull, it would hurt Ferrari.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 20:10

I imagine that if he took the second Merc seat, or back to Red Bull, it would hurt Ferrari.
No way he would go to either with the current star drivers already there. For a start, neither Mercedes nor RedBull need the hassle. And I don't think he would want the competition, especially if he'd gone there after being beaten by a near-rookie.

Of course, Leclerc is still an unknown so might not be an issue for Better anyway. Only time will tell.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 20:25
Big Tea wrote:

No way he would go to either with the current star drivers already there. For a start, neither Mercedes nor RedBull need the hassle. And I don't think he would want the competition, especially if he'd gone there after being beaten by a near-rookie.

Of course, Leclerc is still an unknown so might not be an issue for Better anyway. Only time will tell.
But are Ferrari prepared to bet the house on that? And he would take other things he has 'picked up' at Ferrari.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If he's under contract to Ferrari, he'd only leave and sit on his sofa. Ferrari would not allow a stroppy driver to leave and go elsewhere.

Unf

santos wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 20:06
https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/posts ... 7?sfnsw=cl

Vettel had huge advantage until 58s of the video, he lost everything on that right-curve...

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 18:17
Phil wrote:
Keep in mind though, if Seb does leave Ferrari, it not only means they lose him, which they may or may not mind, but he will also go somewhere else. The old saying about better have him in your tent peeing out than outside peeing in.

If a team thinks like that instead of building a strong team for themselves, they loose.

Sevach
Sevach

Unf wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 20:46
santos wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 20:06
https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/posts ... 7?sfnsw=cl

Vettel had huge advantage until 58s of the video, he lost everything on that right-curve...
Hamilton a little bit ahead on the straight, Vettel gains a lot through the first 2 sectors and looses a lot by not hugging the apex of that corner, that's what i saw.

Chuckjr

This is finally the year the power units will begin to really equalize.

I see this season with no stand out fastest. Ferrari, Merc, and Red Bull will all have weekends where they shine over the others. I think in this regard the cars are evenly matched.

Each of these teams can be a development monster. Each can make the car faster all year.

Driver skill will be at a premium.

We have seen all three of these drivers crack for different reasons at different points in their career tho Max is a rookie almost by comparison of the other two. Lewis, Seb, Max, like any human, each has weaknesses, and if those weaknesses can be exploited, they should be. I see driver aggression, cunning, and measured attack as critical this year more than most, and the more aggressive driver will have advantage, IMO.

This year will be a fist fight on every track.

I don't think any prediction is right or even close as I see this season having A LOT of controversy and track incidences because everyone will be so close and fighting. I see points leads/advantages constantly changing.

Pit lane work is going to be nip and tuck many times this season. I see lots of race deciding pit violation penalties coming.

I really think we are in for a barn stormer of a season this year with tempers flaring. I pick the most cunning and aggressive driver to win, and many wins will be controversial. I don't see this year being a clean championship by any stretch.

Can't wait. [-o<
Watching F1 since 1986.

TAG

Big Tea wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 20:28
Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 20:25
Big Tea wrote:

But are Ferrari prepared to bet the house on that? And he would take other things he has 'picked up' at Ferrari.
Ferrari just pay drivers to go away, they did it to Kimi to make room for Alonso.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Phil

When Vettels contract ends, it ends. He's free to leave or go to another team if he so wishes. Nothing Ferrari can do about it. Same applies to if Ferrari choose not to extend his contract. While Vettel probably has a lot of intel on what or what not Ferrari are doing, I think poaching engineers off Ferrari is probably a way bigger probably than if a driver goes. Alison comes to mind, yet even the information he brought to Mercedes is probably limited. And not every secret that works on the Ferrari may also work on a different car (without substantial changes in other areas etc).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

Chuckjr wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 00:13
This is finally the year the power units will begin to really equalize.

I see this season with no stand out fastest. Ferrari, Merc, and Red Bull will all have weekends where they shine over the others. I think in this regard the cars are evenly matched.

Each of these teams can be a development monster. Each can make the car faster all year.

Driver skill will be at a premium.

We have seen all three of these drivers crack for different reasons at different points in their career tho Max is a rookie almost by comparison of the other two. Lewis, Seb, Max, like any human, each has weaknesses, and if those weaknesses can be exploited, they should be. I see driver aggression, cunning, and measured attack as critical this year more than most, and the more aggressive driver will have advantage, IMO.

This year will be a fist fight on every track.

I don't think any prediction is right or even close as I see this season having A LOT of controversy and track incidences because everyone will be so close and fighting. I see points leads/advantages constantly changing.

Pit lane work is going to be nip and tuck many times this season. I see lots of race deciding pit violation penalties coming.

I really think we are in for a barn stormer of a season this year with tempers flaring. I pick the most cunning and aggressive driver to win, and many wins will be controversial. I don't see this year being a clean championship by any stretch.

Can't wait. [-o<
Couldn't agree with you more. Everyone will be taking their strenghts and pitting them against other drivers weaknesses. More fuel for the fire to a team that has one cock in the fight and the number two driver's role will be to maximize their 3rd and 4th place finishes. I'm thinking we may get the first non double championship in the sport since 2008*.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

roon
roon

How about: Renault regularly finishing ahead of the Red Bulls. Renault as number three behind Merc and Ferrari. Is there a conspiracy theory yet which says that Renault has been withholding development until they were out of contract with Red Bull? Call it Cyril's revenge; or, Revenge of the Squirrel if you're more mean spirited.