2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
munudeges
munudeges

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Yer, I'm going back to what I thought originally when they turned up late. The missed test wasn't about some missed deadlines they didn't foresee. I think they're short of money. If they could have afforded to run they would have known many weeks in advance they'd have trouble making it and then initiated a plan to run a modified 2018 car, or something. Something to at least give their drivers track time.

Chuckjr

GrandAxe wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 15:29
SimonFW11b wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 06:51
Missed Apex is reporting that Williams is approaching other teams for parts to get two cars built for Melbourne. Stroll's money is being withheld due to a dispute, Polish money not flowing.

If any of this is true, God help us.
Sadly this is an increasingly tragic ending for one of F1's iconic teams. Even if its just a rumour, poaching bits from other teams is off the cliff, not something that one would associate with a multiple F1 record holder. First their nomination to build the mule for Pirelli (cos they're so far behind that no other team excepts them to gain an advantage), now this.

Their management is wholly to blame.
Williams desperately needs to be taken over by a top team that can ruthlessly axe dead wood and inject fresh blood.

It would seem that Paddy Lowe timed his exit perfectly. Cars made up of all sorts of exotic bits reminds me of the wacky Races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPw0jEIhVw
Timed his exit perfectly?? I personally don't think it was his choice. This debacle going on right now is his fault, no? Isnt the TD responsible for basically the car issues we are seeing at Williams right now? He's been there for a while now, so I don't see how he escapes responsibility.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Paddy stepped away to keep honor to himself. he got scapegoated by treacherous williams egocentrics and decided he'd have none of it, especially since their financial situation will not give them any options. pretty sure they'd start attacking paddy's salary check soon too and claiming that another TD would have saved them money and they'd have a car by melbourne, as they're so low to never look into the mirror.
the curtains are falling.
and still, they're not taking appropraite action, and i'd be pretty surprised if they did. hence this team will go under. well, in f1 the very least. they probably will go to formula E or WEC.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

subcritical71

Chuckjr wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:24
GrandAxe wrote:
SimonFW11b wrote:
Missed Apex is reporting that Williams is approaching other teams for parts to get two cars built for Melbourne. Stroll's money is being withheld due to a dispute, Polish money not flowing.

Sadly this is an increasingly tragic ending for one of F1's iconic teams. Even if its just a rumour, poaching bits from other teams is off the cliff, not something that one would associate with a multiple F1 record holder. First their nomination to build the mule for Pirelli (cos they're so far behind that no other team excepts them to gain an advantage), now this.

Williams desperately needs to be taken over by a top team that can ruthlessly axe dead wood and inject fresh blood.

It would seem that Paddy Lowe timed his exit perfectly. Cars made up of all sorts of exotic bits reminds me of the wacky Races.

Timed his exit perfectly?? I personally don't think it was his choice. This debacle going on right now is his fault, no? Isnt the TD responsible for basically the car issues we are seeing at Williams right now? He's been there for a while now, so I don't see how he escapes responsibility.
What, if any, constraints was he juggling? For example, if he is given 75% of the needed resources is it his fault he doesn’t deliver? What if he only had 50%. Reports of scavenging parts show that resources may have indeed been an issue. But, there is too much speculation and many unknowns with this situation for any outsider to be able to assign any blame.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Chuckjr wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:
SimonFW11b wrote:

Paddy Lowe was set to be the fall guy. He walked away before the house came down around his ears.
You don't have money? You can't order parts, you can't complete the car. No matter how good the design, suppliers won't do the job for free ... Williams has no money.

The team principal (effectively Claire Williams) is responsible for winning sponsorships and other money making, not the technical director. Claire Williams should carry the can.

Chuckjr

subcritical71 wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:38
Chuckjr wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

What, if any, constraints was he juggling? For example, if he is given 75% of the needed resources is it his fault he doesn’t deliver? What if he only had 50%. Reports of scavenging parts show that resources may have indeed been an issue. But, there is too much speculation and many unknowns with this situation for any outsider to be able to assign any blame.
What is the role of the TD then? Don't they have to work with the money they have and adjust accordingly? Isn't that a major role of the job? Didn't Lotus walk the tight budget line really well not too long ago? Maybe Paddy should have considered that. Do all TD's except Paddy have 100% of their budget to work with, he is an exception at Williams, so he escapes culpability? Whut. How does that make sense? Should not the TD be held to account for his job responsibilities?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Francesc
Francesc

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:34
Paddy stepped away to keep honor to himself. he got scapegoated by treacherous williams egocentrics and decided he'd have none of it, especially since their financial situation will not give them any options. pretty sure they'd start attacking paddy's salary check soon too and claiming that another TD would have saved them money and they'd have a car by melbourne, as they're so low to never look into the mirror.
the curtains are falling.
and still, they're not taking appropraite action, and i'd be pretty surprised if they did. hence this team will go under. well, in f1 the very least. they probably will go to formula E or WEC.
He obviously told you that...

Mattchu

The whole episode is now consigned to history, do we have to keep playing the blame game like Paddy and Claire seem to be doing [they made false promises/he didn`t deliver, etc, etc].

Lets cross our fingers and hope Williams are able to at least run in the first few races. If they are miles off the pace [which seems likely] maybe the decision will become obvious...

<funeral march> :-({|= </funeral march>

subcritical71

Chuckjr wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:49
subcritical71 wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:

What is the role of the TD then? Don't they have to work with the money they have and adjust accordingly? Isn't that a major role of the job? Didn't Lotus walk the tight budget line really well not too long ago? Maybe Paddy should have considered that. Do all TD's except Paddy have 100% of their budget to work with, he is an exception at Williams, so he escapes culpability? Whut. How does that make sense? Should not the TD be held to account for his job responsibilities?
I’m sure the role of the TD is different at each team and I have no idea what Paddy was promised when he was hired but that was not my point at all and I wasn’t comparing Williams to Lotus... I don’t see how you got there with what I said. Yes, leaders are supposed to be lean. But if you are in a situation where the given resources are simply not enough isn’t it the fault of the person who if responsible for giving, or allowing, those resources who f’d up? He’s not the top dog in the organization, I’m just saying he may be a victim or the robber, it’s hard to tell which at this point.

McG

Wishful thinking here but it could be that...

Paddy wasn't doing a good job and Claire sacked him as part of the reshuffle.
Williams are in cost saving mode until 2021.

The above speculation is as probable as what the dooms day preppers are saying.

Some extra positive highly probable speculation would be...

They will finish this season and next season, finishing in last most likely.
F1 is dead.

skwdenyer
skwdenyer

There's a moderately well-sourced rumour around that Paddy is seeking a substantial payout, which if true would suggest that he was pushed rather than walking.

Chuckjr

subcritical71 wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 20:22
Chuckjr wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:49
subcritical71 wrote:

I’m sure the role of the TD is different at each team and I have no idea what Paddy was promised when he was hired but that was not my point at all and I wasn’t comparing Williams to Lotus... I don’t see how you got there with what I said. Yes, leaders are supposed to be lean. But if you are in a situation where the given resources are simply not enough isn’t it the fault of the person who if responsible for giving, or allowing, those resources who f’d up? He’s not the top dog in the organization, I’m just saying he may be a victim or the robber, it’s hard to tell which at this point.
Look I fully understand that PL may have been hindered with a messed up budget and factors he can't control. I get that. But from what reports are saying (and yes they may be wrong), the car isn't even within technical regulation, and last time I checked that was 100% the fault of the technical director. So the comment he "made his escape" just rubbed me the wrong way because I felt like it was giving him a pass. I like Williams to much to let that go, so that's why I replied.

Certainly Clair has management issues because according to many here, Williams is ok financially. So I fully believe that Clair is culpable for the majority of Williams faults because she is doing a terrible job if they have the money folks say they do. Year after year it's just gotten worse. Yes I think nepotism is at work at Williams.

But the car not even meeting technical regulation and being unforgivably late to testing I just don't know how Paddy isn't a MJAOR reason for those issues.

I brought up Lotus for the great job Erik B did with that team despite dire financial issues - they were putting the car on the podium with very little budget. Williams should be able to do the same.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

skwdenyer wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 23:37
There's a moderately well-sourced rumour around that Paddy is seeking a substantial payout, which if true would suggest that he was pushed rather than walking.
Well, if as said he has a good stake in Williams shares,
then i'm pretty sure he wants that part paid out if they want him out now he's gone.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer
marmer

Just putting it out there but if Williams get away with the extra front wheel suspension element thing and the wing mirror design as unless I am missing something they haven't been made illegal yet.

That would make paddy look quite good lol also Williams would look rather dim for getting rid of him

Lynx
Lynx

Hello to all here. I've been following and reading this forum for quite some time but now, when this team goes through such terrible time I decided to write my opinion about two things.

The FW42 and its building process was late. Whether the parts did not fit or the team did not plan their production well, all this was ultimately Paddy Lowe's responsibility. He has been in the team for 2 years now. When he came at the start of 2017, the FW40 was 4th quickest car. Last year the FW41 was last and this year the FW42 is not even ready properly. We shall see soon, if it has some speed in it. Whatever changes he made in this two years, the results were always worse and so I think it is only natural that he left. Or was sacked, whatever. He had a lot of time and enough money to put at least a midfield car on track for 2018 and 2019.

And about money problem rumours... they actually remind me of fake news. Let's take a look at their major partners. PKN Orlen is the biggest Central European public company and they certainly have to honour contracts. I cannot see how they would not be paying what they agreed to. We can also assume Unilever is a safe partner. The 3rd major partner is ROKiT who may be a little suspicious. But then again, the company was founded by Greek-Italian-American billionaire. So the money there should not be a problem too. And the Strolls? I doubt Lance would be let go last year without some sort of compensation. So the money for this year should be OK.

I don't want to defend Claire with that, far from that. IMO she should step aside and take care only of commercial / marketing side of the business and let day-to-day operations to someone else. I wonder if there is any chance for Adam Parr to return? He is a friend of Ross Brawn - well, they wrote Brawn's book together. I bet that that kind of connection would help when looking for new senior technical staff.