2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Capharol
Capharol

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Sieper wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 22:40
One race (well qualy only) in and they had issues. Give it Some time before you state what the deal is.
i can only give that back to you..... you start to state Renault is 4th (even a comfortable 4th), i say no Haas is... what's the difference?

Sieper

I didn’t. It is their target and i said they might still achieve it this year. We are just one qualy in.

Capharol
Capharol

Sieper wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 22:45
I didn’t. It is their target and i said they might still achieve it this year. We are just one qualy in.
just lets wait and see before we all make statements about positions on the grid at all....

This merc is fastest, then ferrari, then XYZ ..... it's tiring to read because its all assumptions and big guesses (thijs zijn glazenbol :wink: )

Sieper

Yeah but I made that statement because people were already having Renault, which is unfair. First qualy was hurtfull, that is true but ok, Lets see tomorrow If they indeed have race pace like they seemed to have in wintertest.

Jambier

I think everything is already shown.

I mean, yes they will probably fight for P4 this year if they can improve

But this itself is a failure. The only option they had was to be clear of midfield , and let's say 4-5 tenth behind RB

They will not be there anytime this year I assume. So year is already wasted

Neno
Neno

Sadly this team is exactly where it belongs. I only feel bad for Hulk because he spent his prime driving garbage Enstone cars, and now even RIC but he atleast can wipe his tears with dollars.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Jambier wrote:I think everything is already shown.

But this itself is a failure. The only option they had was to be clear of midfield , and let's say 4-5 tenth behind RB

With such an awesome crystal ball... Why are you wasting your time here? You should be buying lottery tickets or making billions in the stock market!

It’s one qualifying session in a non-representative circuit with a midfield very close to each other and you are already concluding that this year is a waste for the team? That’s been clueless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Capharol
Capharol

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 00:44

With such an awesome crystal ball... Why are you wasting your time here? You should be buying lottery tickets or making billions in the stock market!

It’s one qualifying session in a non-representative circuit with a midfield very close to each other and you are already concluding that this year is a waste for the team? That’s been clueless

Jambier is exactly saying what you are saying in the Red Bull-Honda thread..... so you two can shake hands :lol:

BTT:
I won't say they are completly out of the loop but to be able to attack the top 3, they need to put in much, much more money then they do right now, and even then it's questionable if they can keep it up

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Capharol wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Jambier is exactly saying what you are saying in the Red Bull-Honda thread..... so you two can shake hands :lol:

BTT:
I won't say they are completly out of the loop but to be able to attack the top 3, they need to put in much, much more money then they do right now, and even then it's questionable if they can keep it up
What have I said that isn’t true or factual in the other topic (which I believe we shouldn’t discuss here to not go off-topic)... The one thing that I have is discussed the current results and back them up with actual data (which it seems is a foreign language for some)... I haven’t made any assumptions of their rest of the season, nor have I said that Qualifying in Melbourne is a representation of their performance moving forward.

Jambier

SmallSoldier wrote:

You said it yourself: "midfield"

Renault should not be in the midfield.
They should be in a DMZ trying to mesure and reduce gap to TOP 3 teams

Midfield should be 2018 memory for them, not 2019 nightmare

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Jambier wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

You said it yourself: "midfield"

Renault should not be in the midfield.
They should be in a DMZ trying to mesure and reduce gap to TOP 3 teams

Midfield should be 2018 memory for them, not 2019 nightmare
They never targeted the top 3 for this season, that was unrealistic consider where they were last year and the gap they had... If anything, they are moving forward:

A) Compared to Mercedes: in 2018 they were 2.37 seconds from Mercedes at Melbourne... In 2019 were 2.07 seconds from them... That’s a net gain of 0.3 seconds over winter for this particular track.

B) Compared to Red Bull: Which is probably a more sensible target, in 2018 they were 1.69 seconds behind them... in 2019 they are 1.33 seconds behind them... That’s not considering that they missed Q3 by 0.03 seconds, which is nothing and that the teams that moved into Q3 on average gained 0.3 seconds in their Q3 runs.

So... They have closed the gap considering only Qualy... Still too early to determine the actual pace of the car and how closer or farther they really are from the top 3, but so far they have closed the gap.

The issue for me is making assumptions based on one qualifying session in a non representative track... You are assuming that they won’t improve / develop through the season and continue to close the gap to the front and to say that at this point in the season (when we haven’t even had one single race yet) it’s silly

djos

Hulk showed his class in qually and imo Ric did well to be within a few hundredths of him considering he's new to the Renault car philosophy and team. It's going to be close all season imo and I think Dan will have the upper hand on Sundays even if Hulk dominates Saturdays.
"In downforce we trust"

Jambier

To slow today.

But less ridiculous than yesterday.

They need to get quickly 5 tenth a lap

Blackout

Prost and Hulkenberg think the real gap to pole would have been around 1.5s. If that's true, then the gap has been sensibly reduced. This track was one of the worst tracks to Renault in 2018 in that regard.
Big gain on the speed trap side here; all Renault powered cars gained 10-11kmh compared to 2018 in qualy here. (STR 7-8kmh and RB 5-6)
The super-dyno is only operational since mid February so maybe it came a bit too late for the new PU. So the spec b and the following specs should be the first PUs to really benefit from it.

gandharva

Hulk was really pissed about the pace of the car in the post race interview with Sky Germany. He said that there have been several other teams that were faster today and he only made P7 because he wrestled the car to the end and the track layout helped.